• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

200/50 on the C14?

nando

Crotch Rocket
Has anyone installed a 200/50 or 200/55 in a C14?

How does that effect the ABS?

Does one have to trim anything for the fitting?

ZG,
I am not a racer...cruiser...more like use my bike as a daily transport. Wide rear tires put more meat on the road, ride more stable on the freeway...granted, they make the bike harder to turn, but again, I am not a twisties jockey

I would be hoping that it would make the ride softer on the rear though maybe not cause of a heavier tire. For this reason, I am also considering the 55s...I am just looking for my optimum set up....

...m keeping up with your paint...good luck on that, it should be a jewel when finished

Putting a wider tire on a narrow wheel will pinch the tire. 

There's a possibility there will be little difference from the 190 in overall width once mounted and about the same contact patch.  Also with a 200 being more $$$, you would probably be loosing in the long run

With a stock wheel you will most likely get no more surface area or better ride  with a 200 width. and from my Victory riding experience two bikes one with a stock 180 and one with a stock 250(Hammer) same frame with wider wheel on the 250, it makes turn in more difficult
and takes more effort to countersteer. Yes you would get used to it but I never liked the feel of the extra width.
I just bought for my next set of tires  the PR3s  with 190/55 17 rear tire. If I dont like it I will not buy it again next time.
I guess it is just our nature to want to do things that the factory doesnt. :motonoises: :motonoises:

Chances are KHI nailed the wheel / tire combination for street and sport-touring, and you really can't do better (though in your mind you might).

What about the 190/55? People claim the bike handling improves

Does changing the tire circumference effect the traction control?

nando said:

I surely doubt that it will affect  any difference in traction control. The computer knows to apply braking and block throttle from opening past the point of allowing wheel spin. This is the way I understand it to work and  a minor increase it tire height should have NO effect...
The 2010 Concours now features linked brakes with the second-generation K-ACT ABS (Kawasaki Advanced Coactive-Braking Technology). Evolved from the ABS used in the Voyager cruiser, Kawi claims the new system is 25% smaller and 30% lighter, with a higher-spec ECU. Riders can’t disable the ABS entirely, but instead choose from two adjustments that control the rear-to-front effect. Mode 1 delivers light effect on the front, for sportier riding applications. Mode 2 supplies a more aggressive bite up front when mashing the rear pedal. The front to back linkage effect is identical in both modes.

A reliable stopping system is critical on the big, heavy Kawi (our 2009 C14 test unit topped the scales with a curb weight of 689 lbs). Grabbing a handful at high-speed on our 2010 test run brings things to a halt pronto, with ABS pulse not overly dramatic. In more casual use, the linked braking works quite well. The front-to-rear link feels quite refined. Approaching a corner at high speeds, a light pull on the strong dual disc/four-piston caliper front settles the bike smoothly, the gentle linked application of the rear reducing front end dive. As for the other direction, rear-to-front, Mode 2 bites far harder than the light tug of Mode 1, with the latter preferable on twisty stretches. Our only complaint, a petty grumble really, is toggling between Mode 1 and Mode 2 can’t be done on the fly.

The new KTRC (Kawasaki Traction Control) does offer on-the-fly adjustment – ON and OFF – via the left handlebar-mounted button. The KTRC system adds no weight, sourcing the same sensors at the ABS. Upon detecting wheelspin the ABS unit sends a signal to the ECU, which then controls engine output by modulating ignition timing, fuel delivery and intake airflow through sub-throttle valves – the intake control key to the smooth operation of the system, according to Kawasaki.
Both ABS and  K TRC work together through same sensors so IMHO  no change....

nando said:

anytime you raise the rear of the bike even as little as 1-2mm you pay off is quicker turn in, its very common to raise sportbikes by 5mm or more in the rear for the track

not sure what the extra height would do to the traction control but i have a 190/55 PR3 and love the way the bike handles

nando said:

how many threads need the same question asked?
just curious.... :-[ ::) :truce:

seems the 50 vs 55 thread ran it's course....and you posted it there 3 hours earlier.... :eek:

from the criteria you cite as reasoning, might just want to go read this post;

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,40491.0.html

:great: :motonoises:

MAN OF BLUES said:
nando said:

how many threads need the same question asked?just curious.... :-[ ::) :truce:

seems the 50 vs 55 thread ran it's course....and you posted it there 3 hours earlier.... :eek:

..Perfectly reasonable answer: You see, I have multiple personality, thus I possess many voices inside...all of them just love the COG forum and they like to post questions, chat, comment...and even listen to old junk-yard dogs barking at people for no reason....with anal-retentive egotistical control freak personalities

But, I understand your point, I am going to have a meeting with all the voices and ask them communicate more efficiently with each other so as not to be redundant on forum....I 'll do my best to temper the schizophrenic biker enthusiasm for you, so you don't have to squash it yourself.

..Perfectly reasonable answer: You see, I have multiple personality, thus I possess many voices inside...all of them just love the COG forum and they like to post questions

[/quote]

It looks like your many voices and questions have migrated to the Triumph Trophy forum;

I monitor that forum because Canucks_Fan lives about 10 miles from me and we were supposed to get together for a Concours14/Trophy ride and handling comparison but his bike has been in the shop for 28 days because of electrical problems that Triumph doesn't seem to be able to fix.

You stated that you want to buy a Trophy...........one can only hope.  ;D

nando said:
Mac Donald Duckie Secret Agent 007,
.......Does anyone know this guy? is he dangerous?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I don't think he's a stalker.....
please, lighten up a bit here Fernando.... :rotflmao: :motonoises:

if your profile is correct, you are safe out there in the middle of the ocean..... :rotflmao:

starting to sound kinda' like someone we knew in the past, affectionatly known as ......Fly
:truce: :truce: :truce:

nando said:
How are you buddy? Looks like you have time to spare to do research all over the internet for someone you don't like...Mercy!

Just to clarify, I have never looked for you....anywhere.....

nando said:
Macky boy Agent,

There you are again after my skin...

You make it more clear...you ain't weird, you are just a judgmental asWhole...

You have nothing but your judgmental butt-mouth to know that I am wasting other peoples time, whether or how I amuse myself as a member of this forum, nor why I do ask questions a lot, nor my goals in posting here. In particular, a "troller" befits more your stupid judgments once again....I got more miles on a motorcycle than you have had hair follicles you imbecile...

...your ignorance is even more salient when on the same breath that you say "you don't have nothing personally against me".

You know what cowboy, next time you have something derogatory to say about me, why don't you just pm me instead of advertising your stupidity.

Perhaps you may take this caveat:  better keep yourself behind the shield of this forum to run your mouth...I go to the mainland frequently...you are just on the edge of making it worthwhile to pay you a visit dingbat Agent...you know, maybe we could do a game of hoops...ride together on the same motorcycle...there's gotta be something that makes you love me!

SERIOUSLY.
you are now stepping over the line.
we DO have some lines that are not to be crossed here.
this thread is on the verge.

soooo....
http://youtu.be/B65mtE2TN1w

nando said:
Perhaps you may take this caveat:  better keep yourself behind the shield of this forum to run your mouth...I go to the mainland frequently...you are just on the edge of making it worthwhile to pay you a visit dingbat Agent.

I live in Kennewick, WA......let me know when you are going to be in town.  :great:

MAN OF BLUES said:
thanks,
I get bored easily... :D

I might have over-posted on the issue enough to bore...but the matter of fact is I can't find anywhere searching for info on someone actually using a 200. There were folks who claim they are planning but no actual reports on them.

Perhaps that is the answer: don't use them

I have heard of one guy using the PR2 in the back and the PR3 in the front for longer wear

...I did purchase an Avon Storm II 200 a while back but it is in storage (In a plastic bag beside my bed).  SInce I use the C14 for transportation to and from work (approx 20 miles a workday) I haven't accumulated enough milage on the stock tires to warrent their demise as of yet...only around 3300 as of March 10th 2013...have been riding since late Dec 2012..and off and on depending on the weather etc.  I do not see any problems with this tire since the specs are very simliar to the 190...I just wanted a bit more rubber on the road which I hope equals better milage.  I run the tires on the high side..close to 50 lbs and find I get a boost in milage = average close to 50 without and noticable wear problems...Have at least 3-4k left in the stock tires.

.................................As usual Jim if any of your IMF are caught or killed..we will be out back cooking....

:103:         

:)) :)) :)) :) :)                                                                            ;)