• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2004 rough and stalling

wpriske

Big Wheel
hey gang, I had my first meeting to sell my 2004 today. Wouldn't you know, it had trouble starting for the first time since I owned it. It also seemed to hesitate when I took it on a quick ride to show the buyer. Finally it bogged and stalled. This has never happened. Once it got really warm it stopped stalling, but still hesitated slightly and seemed to run rough. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it before I sell it. Any ideas as to what the problem most likely is? I've only had it for a few thousand miles and have not had any service done besides changing the oil.

It reads like a classic case of fuel starvation. I'd clean the carbs and check as you go for fuel tank sediment. If you find evidence, check the petcock and clean the tank. Chances are you only need invest some time and basic maintenance procedures. Good luck with the sale.

All those are great ideas, but if its been sitting a bit buy some Seafoam fuel additive at Walmart and put a few ounces in the gas tank. Ride around for 15 minutes and it may be all cleared up. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

oh yeah, i've heard about that seafoam have yet to try it though. if i can remember to pick some up next time i'm at wallyworld i wanna check it out.

Drain the bowls. I run a 50/50 mix of gas/Seafoam in the carbs. Fill via a funnel to the fuel line. Crank the engine for a second or two to get the mixture up in the carbs. Let it sit for an hour. Then start it up and let it run for 10 mins. I usually rev the throttle a bit to get all the inlets to open. It will run rough till the mixture becomes more diluted with gas from the tank. This has cleared things up for me a few times. If that doesn't do it, then a good carb cleaning. Also would recommend adding an inline fuel filter. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

From Mike Benham: Definitely proceed with chemicals such as Seafoam or Techron before breaking out the rack of carbs for extensive cleaning. Draining the float bowls is easy. Draining the gas tank is more work, but would rid your fuel system of some of the amazing chemicals (alchohols bonded with water, from fuel system cleaners, methanol, isopropyl, and the ethanol that is being added to gas now, etc.), gunk and rust particles. Fuel system problems are slow to heal and often the only effective cure is the carb clean/rebuild. Good Luck!