• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2005 Concours with lots of extras

dboisclair

Training Wheels
Jan 8 - Sorry, no longer for sale

Here's the story...
I was looking for a bike for two-up touring that would have more power than my 650 VStrom so I purchased a 2005 Concours from Happy Trails in Boise in Sept 2010. It was a consignment from one of their customers and it was/is in mint condition. The previous owner had complete service records and had installed a lot of extra mods. I paid $4,500 and I had the dealer immediately install front and rear tip over bars from Murphs along with their running light kit and highway pegs, for an additional $800 installed.
The problem is my wife has a bad knee and I didn’t check the comfort for her before buying the bike. Unfortunately the passenger pegs are too high and back and she’s barely able to handle an hour vs. three hours on our Strom.
I’m now researching options to lower the rear pegs but I’m not having much luck so I’m listing it for sale. I’m in Gold Canyon AZ until Feb 26th and if a buyer comes along I’ll sell it before I return home.
Here are the details
2005 Concours – very good condition. 
35,000 miles
Tires in great shape – maybe 2,000 miles since new
Aftermarket windshield with Laminar Lip
Aftermarket seat
Whistler radar detector
Voltage meter
Heated grips
Givi top case and back rest
Tip over bars front and back, highway pegs, running lights
All service records as well as invoices etc for mods

I’ll post pictures as soon as I figure out how to upload them but in the mean time they’re available on request. Serious inquiries only please - $4,000 firm.

Willing to consider trade for DL1000 but must be in similar condition.

Have you considered running boards?  Yes, running boards on a Connie.
My wife has had ankle surgery, and she did not care for the pegs either. After we swapped with a friend, and she sat on the rear of a H-D, she loved the boards.
Kuryakin makes a set of running boards that are black and (I think) look good on the bike. They are well built, and fold up when not in use; she loves them.
The part numbers needed are #4357 for the boards, and #8883 (correction, I put wrong PN initially) for the required adapters. Their website does not show the parts needed for the Concours, but I visited their booth during the MotoGP in Indy, and they were very helpful, and the set-up works.
I took a photo with my phone, and it's not very good, but it will give you an idea of what they look like.

Attachments

• Running Boards.jpg
    Running Boards.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 144
How much lower does the floorboards move foot position versus the stock pegs. Or is it really just the ability to move feet around more.

I'll add in what the wife and I do.  I have highway pegs, and Murphs knee savers. When I move my feet forward to the highway pegs, the wife can  move her feet forward to the rider pegs. this allows her to stretch out really nice like.  Believe it or not the knee savers work better than the stock pegs. While they are lower, they are back some. -- With the Genmar lowers she could not reach at all. Too far down and forward. With the stock pegs she can reach, but has to kinda twist her ankle some to the bottom of her boots onto the end of the peg. With the knee savers and Gl1800 pegs she can actually reach and get her foot on there quite nice.

We rotate back and forth about every 15 minutes.  We also have a communication system where when I yell "Pegs" into the intercomm she know to get the heck out of the way. The louder and more excited I am the faster she needs to move. So has not been a problem. If we dont have the intercomm with is I reach down at tap the side of her leg. She knows that means she can move forward if on her pegs, or to get back to her pegs of already forward.

Thanks very much for the advice on the running boards. I'm going to give them a try because as the rider, I love the bike but.... happpy wife, happy life, so I'll try anything at this point.

We tried switching back and forth because I have highway pegs but her peg folded up on her and it gave her a bit oif a scare because she couldn't get her foot back on her peg.

One question though that one of you might know..... the previous owner had the bike lowered by installing a lowering link. I'm not even sure what this means but would it effect the seat to peg distance. IE: would the seat be lowered but not the peg, reducing the distance - or are they both attached to the same frame bits meaning they both lowered. Sorry if this shows my ignorance but I'm grasping at straws.
Thx
Dale 

Happy wife, Happy like... you sound like Jeff Allen  :rotflmao:      and I agree 100%

Sly,
We set the boards to be about 1/2" higher than the pegs were (I just checked). They have 5 different locations you can use, but the Connie limits because of the space between the bags and the rider's pegs. I took a photo that shows the location- you can see another hole that would move the board forward, but it would interfere with my size 11 feet. There are three more holes above the two visible that might work. My wife is 5'1" with short legs, so she likes the position quite well.
I asked her and she said what she likes about them is that her whole foot is on it, not just that she can move them.
I ordered them through our local dealer (Anderson Powesports), and they were around $120 for everything; they are really good on pricing!

Dale,
As far as I know, the lowering link drops the rear suspension of the bike, so everything goes down and seat to peg remains unchanged.

Attachments

• DSC_4531s.JPG
    DSC_4531s.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 125
Dale pointed out I made a typo on the adapter PN. The posting is now corrected.
Boards are Kuryakin PN 4357
Adapters are Kuryakin PN 8883
Sorry for any confusion.
Jorge

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions.

Someone suggested raising the seat. We went for a ride today with a seat cushion from the couch bungied in place and voila! It's only a couple of inches but it made a HUGE diffence. I'me still going to install the floorboards to give her some better back-and-forth room but the next step will be to modify the seat and we should be good to go.
Thanks VERY much for your input
Cheers

Great to hear, dboisclair!  We had our seat modified by Rick Mayer, http://www.rickmayercycle.com/.  I highly recommend them for their quality product and custom service.  If you use them, make sure you give them clear instructions on what you want to have done so Rick factors that in to his mods.  Without any input, he usually modifies the seat to fit you, without any special consideration of the height, though his mods will usually raise the seating position up due to the padding being firmer.  It sounds like you already have a custom seat, so you may want to go back to whoever did it before.  Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

HTH,