• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2008 C-14 Final Drive Seal(s) Replacement

Rembrant

Crotch Rocket
Hi Guys,

I recently returned from an almost 4000 mile trip, during which my final drive started leaking and making quite a mess.
So, when I got back home, I changed the large "outer" rear seal, the one that is right behind the splined drive. (Kawi part # 92049-1280 which is an 83x100x9). I spent hours cleaning the wheel, cush drive, and everything in and around the final drive so as to not get any "false leaks" from any residual gear oil.

The final drive has seemed to be just fine for the past couple weeks, during which I may have put 500 or so miles on it. Now, just yesterday, it started leaking again, but I haven't removed the wheel to see where..

Everything seemed to be fine with the installation of the seal, and the sealing surface (where the seal lips contact) was undamaged.

In all your experience (and your opinions), do you think the inner seal (Kawi part # 92049-1025) is leaking, or was it the original problem to begin with? Or, did the seal I just changed fail again?

I'm leaving on an almost 8000 mile trip in less than two weeks, so I have to get this sorted out asap.

Is the inner seal difficult to replace? According to the diagram, it looks like the inner seal is located behind the bearing, which is held in place with an inside snap ring. Can I pull the hub assembly, replace the inner seal, and then re-install the whole thing using the same shim(s) that were in there and not worry about a thing? Should I also change this bearing while I'm in there?

Has anybody seen the breathers/vents get plugged, and thus cause seal failures? Or, is it just my bad luck, that I probably changed the wrong seal and it took a little while for the oil to get from the inner seal to the outside of the hub?

Any help, tips, tricks, or suggestions would be super helpful...I need to order the parts on Monday morning, and hopefully get this issue resolved next weekend. Sorry for the long-winded post...

Cheers,
Rem

Rem,

I just had mine go out on my 2008 as well. Mine was the inner seal and it was very evident when I removed the wheel. Personally I do quite a bit of work to my bikes but I would not tackle this job because of the ring and pinion and getting the seal out not wanting to score the surface and causing more issues. Kawasaki overnighted the parts to my dealer and it was completed the next day. It is a big job. Make sure your dealer uses the Honda Moly60 on your spines not some cheaper product when the rear wheel goes back on.

Remove the rear axle and see if it is covered in oil.  If it is, then you probably have an innner seal leak. Kawasaki will have to replace all the seals and the bearing as well. You're best off taking into a good dealership and getting them to do it under warranty if at all possible.