• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2008 KLR-650

Brett0769

Street Cruiser
I want a KLR-650 pretty badly and the more I read the more I want one. ::sigh:: The question is, 2008 brought several changes to the bike, has anybody got one? Know somebody that's got one? How's the new ignition? The forks? Should I hold out for the 2008 or look toward picking up a used one? Also, is anything new coming for 2009 that fixes a problem in the 2008?

Brett: I've got a good number of miles off road. I've had bikes ranging from 250 to 450 cc. The DRZ400 stands out in my mind for a DS, but it is also a bit small when you look at adventure biking. The KLR is tops in this area, but I just don't care for anything with that weight as I often go off road, like in between the trees. Yes, I have hit one, or two. :) I'm in the market for another dual sport. The contenders are: DRZ400, DR650, KLR, Duke 690, SV450, and F650GS. The first three I have ridden, the last three I have yet to ride, but I did sit on the Duke 690. Since it is a limited model production I could not get a demo ride but was impressed with the weight and seat height. On weight the SV450 wins but with seat height being 39", I don't think so, at least not with a 29" inseam. Going to try to test ride both of the latter though, then I may have enough info to make a decision. tcars John

Brett, I got a used 2000 KLR 650 as a result of comments on the COG forum 3 years ago. Last summer, I sold it and bought the 2008 model. Don't get to ride off-road as much as I would like....and don't do hard or technical stuff like some....but this is a great bike! The `08 model is still very similar, but definitely improved. I like the suspension, the brakes and smoother motor. Hiway speeds are more comfortable and more stable. One downside, there is more plastic...which means more $$ to fix if you dump it while riding off-road. I was strapping the bike down to take it with us on our vacation and I tore the rubber stalk on the rear tail light....can't just get the rubber stalk...have to buy the whole light.....$60+. That being said, am I happy with it...would I buy it again.....yeah! If you're not sure...do like I did and buy a good used one. Even though I rode mine for 2 years and put about 6K miles on it....I was able to sell it for only $200 less than I paid for it!

Ken and John, You've both nailed the crux of the double quandry I have with this bike. First, as John has pointed out, there are a lot of fine entries into the DS arena and if getting dirty is your main goal then the KLR doesn't seem to be the best choice. I'm looking for the AT to go with Connie's ST though so I'm fairly convinced the KLR is the right bike for me, though not completely. The second fork is how well the KLR holds it's value. A used one doesn't save you a whole lot of money in most instances and is so inexpensive from the start, it's easy to convince myself to look at a new one (if I could find one) especially now that I know the improvements are for real. Hopefully more people will chime in on this and share their experience.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I would buy a 2008 klr 650 but when I went looking for one I found out that they were all sold out in my area. I guess that I will wait for the 09 model comes out.

John, I've ridden the SV450 Aprilia, or at least the supermoto version. It's really a race-bike with lights. Lots of power, but it revs really high and vibrates a lot. Raw and aggressive is the way I'd describe it: a ton of fun to ride, but I think would be very wearing on a long day. And the servicing schedule is again race-bike frequent. I've had an F650 Funduro, the previous version of the F650GS, and it is even less off-roadworthy than the KLR. A nicer bike on the street and dirt roads, more power at the top end, but expensive to buy. I ended up with a Husky TE610E. At least as capable as the DRZ400 off-road, and more capable than the DR650 on, once you do some basics like upgrading the saddle and headlight. Wide-ratio 6-speed box lets you break it in at nearly 80 mph, while still being reasonably geared in 1st and 2nd for dirt. Much better quality suspension and brakes than the DRZ / KLR / DR.

Can't speak for a new one, but had an older KLR650 for many years. I finally sold it and bought a used Honda XR650L....If you lean more to riding paved roads, the KLR is the way to go. If you want to ride mainly dirt, the Honda has much better suspension and brakes. Both respond well to mods allowing better breathing. On my Honda, I had it bored, high compression piston, pipe, carbs mods and dump the emission bits. Gear it down a tad, and it really rips.......

Tony: Thanks for the info on the SV450, pretty much as I expected, lots of raw power. I have an opp to ride one if I ever get south, so I will get a thrill if I ever take it. Also thanks for the info on the Husky. Only problem, they are even harder to find. The new F650GS is getting lot of praise with the two cylinder design, but I have a problem paying that much for something I take anywhere I might want to go. This decision is taking more time and effort than anything I've done in years. But in my 63 years I've only had one new car (in the late 60's) and one new bike, the former dual sport, a DRZ350, so I am due whatever I end up choosing. Thanks, and tcars John