• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 Spider Ride

Jack, I have the Registration Form filled out but not yet sent in. I have a couple of family details to sort out first. However, if everything works out, I'm looking forward to it and will be there. Ride safe.

Jack, My calendar is starting to clear up so I'm beginning to make plans. The event is scheduled for Thursday ((9/17) thru Sunday (9/20). Can I arrive Wednesday (9/16) at the Huzzah Resort or is that a "no-no" for this event? Let me know and ride safe out there.

No problem with Wens. arrival Chuck. Check in at office,tell them you are with COG and the will let you no where to camp. Tony

Chuck, Great to see that you'll be making it to the Spider Ride. Wonderful event with "twisty" roads, and great people. I owe you a little "libation" and much more after your (as you graciously say) "accident". Wish to see that it's all healed up. See you there. Spring Green pics below. Hoogie

John, Everything is fine with the finger. It's all completely healed. I'm looking forward to the Spider Ride. Steve and Mary-Anne Raab recommended it as a good get-together of COG people. I have invited a local riding friend, with one of the new style KLR-650's, to come along also. I told him there would be good dual-sport riding in that area. I don't think he has made a decision yet. I'm a bit familiar with that area of MO. I've been a somewhat regular attendee at the Beemer Falling Leaf Rally, which is held in Potosi the second weekend in October. Hope to see you then and ride safe.

I'm not familiar with this rally site and what is close-by. Is there someplace in the area where I can get my morning coffee or should I be thinking about bringing my stove and instant coffee making stuff? Thanks. PS: I met Steve Farley from Arkansas at the National in Frisco, CO. He and I shared a room at the Holiday Inn and we rode a couple of days together. He contacted me the other day and asked what rallies I had attended/was going to attend. When I told him I was heading to The Spider, he said he might be able to fit that into his schedule. He was on an '05 C-10 at the National, but I understand he has recently purchased a Wee-Strom.

Chuck, Tony makes coffee in the morning. But, I'm taking my JetBoil and some 'grounds' with anyway. I like a little coffee in the evening to keep awake with the 'youngins' around the campfire. Also, maybe a little fruit of the vine. But, if I had the beer I'd drown in the tent. Hoogie

Good John, I've heard about those Jet-Boils but have never seen them in operation. I'll bring some of my instant coffee thingies and maybe you can heat me a cup of water. I also need to watch out for the beer intake after a certain hour in the afternoon. It saves getting up more frequently in the night. This getting old is not for sissies. Ride safe and looking forward to seeing everyone.

As John said Tony has coffee made bright and early. Joane almost always makes coffee and would be happy to share. If you prefer your own we can heat as much water as you need. Hoogie knows how. Hope to see you all there.

Chuck, Yes - you can even bring the "ground" coffee as the JetBoil has a strainer doohickey that pushes all the grounds to the bottom and makes a terrific cup of coffee. See you in a few weeks. Jeff and Joanne - see ya'll too! Hoogie

John, Sounds like a plan. I'll bring some "grounds" and that should solve the problem. See you there and I want a full account of your efforts to assist Davo Jones in the Iron Butt. I also have a special bottle of the "fruit of the vine" that I will try to remember to bring. Ride safe.

Chuck, There are many wonderful "vine-yards" close by. Last year Pete, Bill, and I bought a few bottles, and they were "right good". Well, what can I say - being only a "youngin" compared to you - but it helps me doze off by the fire, and sleep real well in the tent. I'm gettin charged-up to go. Also, tell your KLR buddy that Tony and Jack will take him on some good rides. Hoogie

John, It's good to know that there are places in the area where I can buy a good bottle of wine. It does go good with watching the campfire burn and telling tall tales. I'll leave this other bottle home and consume it at a later date. My wife and I have a nephew who works as an engineer on Casey Kahne's racing team. He gave us a bottle of red wine from The Childress Vineyards. I'm looking forward to leaving next Thursday for the rally. I've been experiencing vibration in the front end when I used that brake. Yesterday the right rotor was replaced on warranty and things seem to be smooth again. Also, in the process, I changed the front tire (had 10K on the old one) and the rear is a very recent change (due to ingesting a nail), so the bike is riding like new again. I'm not certain if my KLR friend is going to make it. I stopped to see him yesterday and I'd say he's a "definite maybe". He has had some health issues for the past several months that have kept him pretty close to home. However, I do know he would like to make the trip and he has a new set of tires on his bike that were installed for the occasion. I'll check on him early next week. All for now. Ride safe out there.

Man, we talk about our "Senior Moments". Let me tell you -- The last time I was on the road to a cycle rally was to the Dinks Beemer Rally in Pontiac, IL on the weekend of 8/14-8/16. In the summer, that's a pretty long stretch for me to be off the road. I enjoy being out and seeing people and the bike runs better when it gets regular exercise, at least that's what my wife thinks. So with The Spider Ride coming up, I was getting excited and ready to go. In fact, so ready to go that I have most of my gear packed and the bike in the "ready" position. I was planning to leave Thursday -- this Thursday -- Thursday, Sept. 10!! Then I looked at my appointment calendar and The Spider Ride starts on Sept. 17 -- a whole week away!! Bummer!! Oh well, there's a Guzzi rally this weekend in Interlochen, MI that I've been to before. Nice rally site, good people, may run over to the UP and get some smoked fish on Friday, can overnight in Fenton, MI and see my two grandsons on the way up. I think I'll pack the heated jacket and head north on Thursday. Ride safe.

Tony, Jack and whoever else was responsible -- Good rally guys. The roads were very good, the food good and the discussions always good. Sorry that I had to leave early Sat. AM but it was one of those family things. I'm certain I missed some good happenings that evening around the campfire. Looking forward to seeing many of you again, probably at the National in Tomah. Ride safe.