• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2009 vs. 2010 or 11 - big money difference

wlselph

Bicycle
Hi guys,

I've been planning to buy a C14 this spring. There is a big difference in price between a left-over 2009 and the updated 2010 or 11. My local dealer says there are quite a few 2009 still available because Kawi made many about the time the economy tanked.

With about a $4000 to $5000 difference, are the changes in 2010 worth it? I can add heated grips and a new windshield for several hundred dollars. I can't change the body work or the mirror position. What are your thoughts? Thanks

It's something you have to answer. Assuming your talking ABS models as a comparison. Are traction control, heated grips, higher mirrors and possibly less heat from the engine area, and a few other differences worth the extra money to you?

Now the way I look at it, I like the 2011 silver and the 2009 red. So it would probably come down to whats available to me!  :D

I went through the same dilemna Bob and finally decided it was worth the extra money to get the improvements to the 10 and 11 models.  I was tempted when they had an 09 sitting next to the 11 for so much less.  All that said, I am glad I bought the 11 or I would just have bought a used one.

Are you a guy that resells after you ride a bike 2-3 years? If so, think about the resale value; cheap in, cheap out. If not, you can find an aftermarket farkle to fix everything that's wrong with a 2009 as far as mirrors, heat, windshield, brakes, etc.

Good point. I had not thought about resale. in 3 years, a 2011 will be 3 years old. A 2009 will be 6 years old in terms of trade or resale.

I rented a 2008 for a day and rode it all over northern Georgia. What a great bike!

I tend toward the frugal side so admittedly I would lean toward the older and extend the warranty if they are are offering a full long term warranty. The improvements are fairly impressive beyond what you CAN easily upgrade so it is a tough call. Older will likely loose the tire pressure system due to the cruddy batteries (non-replacable) and I would maybe ask them to update them first from the chatter I have heard on it.
Myself, I went with a last model year 2006 C10 and get regular unledded gas, less power, poor tire choice and not near as cool of a mount, but my frugal nature has been ok with it so far.
note: Frugal = Cheap/poor....  ;D

I did the rental 08 all over north east Texas and that got me where I am today! Liquid power in that C14!

Ronnie Lyons said:
Are you a guy that resells after you ride a bike 2-3 years? If so, think about the resale value; cheap in, cheap out. If not, you can find an aftermarket farkle to fix everything that's wrong with a 2009 as far as mirrors, heat, windshield, brakes, etc.
Tough thing to fix on the pre 10's is the engine heat issue.  A major reason I chore a newer model.  I am feeling no engine heat on my legs to this point.

OK, lets add to this. The older bike is a deal if you plan on keeping it a long time (say 10 years). But if you change bikes a lot, well like was said, you pay less now, but get less later.
The older bike may have a color you like since the 2009 had black and red (the red is my favorite C14 color). Although I like the 2011 silver as my second favorite color that has been available in the US.
The older bike allows you to install grip heaters and grips or the heated grips of your choice (if you so desire). The new bike kind of forces you to use the factory grips with maybe grip puppies over them.
The older bike's mirrors do not have great visibility. There are not any decent (IMO) ways to rectify this. The new bikes mirrors are obviously much better.
The older bike has the glove box on top of the tank (which I personally liked) and for the most part is pretty much trouble free. (although people have had some problems) The new bike has it in the left side fairing and has had troubles with the locking mechanism failing for some of the 2010 owners. Plus from what I understand. You cannot open the glove box while in motion. And they replaced the glove box on the gas tank with a silly looking cover plate now. Personally I wish they would have used both on the newer bikes.
The newer bikes have the different body work that will make less heat output. But I personally didn't find heat that much of a problem on my 08. I did try the heat blockers that can be purchased. They did work to reduce heat. But I found that it forced all the heat out the side of the bike now. That took away the cooling effect for me when I stick my legs out past the fairing into the wind to cool them from the suns heat. With the blockers, the air is not hotter and took away the cooling effect for me. So I actually preferred the  bike without the heat blockers. I don't know how the newer bike is when it comes to this.
Either way, get an ABS bike! But the newer bikes have traction control. That's a big plus IMO. The newer bikes also have panniers that have better color matching to the bike.
So what it comes down to is you. How long do you plan on keeping the bike? Do you want or need the upgrades on the newer bikes? Do you want to save a bunch or money and maybe do some of the upgrades with the saved money. $5,000 buys probably anything you want to add to the bike up and above anything Kawasaki added other the n the traction control and better mirrors.
Now I probably made it worse for you. Good luck!  ;D

When I started looking the only color I really liked was the 09 Red. I found several good deals on used 08's with low miles and extras but I still wanted a Red one. ABS was not an issue for me and neither was the addition of traction control, mirror placement or the windshield so I got an 09 Red and I'm glad I did. I usually keep my bikes for about 3 or 4 years and then sell them, not trade it in so I get what I'm asking for it, might take a week or 2 longer than just trading it in but it's worth it. The book on my 08 Wings on a trade in was about $12500, I sold it out right for $16,500, so I'm ahead of the game. I keep all service records on the bike and keep it in new condition all the time, wash it after every ride, top to bottom and wax it about twice a month. I also bought the 6 year warranty so when I sell it it will still have 2 or 3 years left on the warranty which will be a plus to the buyer.
Here is the bottom of my 08 Wing with 29,000 miles on it. Just like new.
ry%3D400

I have a 2010 c14 ABS and think its fantastic.  I have never ridden an earlier c14, so I can't really speak to the heat issues on those bikes.  But I did have a c10 and the heat issues, especially in the mid summer months, were extreme!  I bought the 2010 C14 almost exclusively due to the solving of the heat problems. The traction control is very nice also.  So, for me, I would definitly go with the 2010 or 11; again, mostly because of solving the heat problems.

All good info and much appreciated. Next month when I have all my pennies saved, I'll just go to the dealer and see which deal is better. I'm leaning toward a 2010 because it has the upgrades and I like the color. Either way, I can't go wrong. You hear nothing but good things about the bike.

joe in calif said:
When I started looking the only color I really liked was the 09 Red. I found several good deals on used 08's with low miles and extras but I still wanted a Red one. ABS was not an issue for me and neither was the addition of traction control, mirror placement or the windshield so I got an 09 Red and I'm glad I did. I usually keep my bikes for about 3 or 4 years and then sell them, not trade it in so I get what I'm asking for it, might take a week or 2 longer than just trading it in but it's worth it. The book on my 08 Wings on a trade in was about $12500, I sold it out right for $16,500, so I'm ahead of the game. I keep all service records on the bike and keep it in new condition all the time, wash it after every ride, top to bottom and wax it about twice a month. I also bought the 6 year warranty so when I sell it it will still have 2 or 3 years left on the warranty which will be a plus to the buyer.
Here is the bottom of my 08 Wing with 29,000 miles on it. Just like new.
ry%3D400
I paid 12k for mine new and you got 16500 used.......................I would like you to sell mine for me and I will give you a good commision.

I went with the 6 grand off for a new 09 deal.  i still got the full 3 year warranty with it.

i live in michigan so IF there is a heat issue for me it will only be for a few weeks.
So far the little heat that i have felt on the right side has been welcomed.

Ao far it's been a huge upgrade from my 02 Nighthawk 750.

I got $4500 off on a '09 back in January, glad you did much better. One hell of a deal compared with the cost say of a BMW K1300 GT. My decision on the upgrades in the 2010/2011 versus cost savings was pretty much the same as yours.  I live in Portland, a place where a little heat would be welcome most of the year. I was able to get the 2010/2011 electric grips installed so I'm all set for those frequent cooler days.

I come off a long history of BMW Sport tourers and Goldwings and have been enormously impressed with the design excellence that went into the C-14.

Bet both of us are going to be happy.

MKorn said:
I went with the 6 grand off for a new 09 deal.  i still got the full 3 year warranty with it.

i live in michigan so IF there is a heat issue for me it will only be for a few weeks.
So far the little heat that i have felt on the right side has been welcomed.

Ao far it's been a huge upgrade from my 02 Nighthawk 750.

Bert said:

i've only managed 115 miles since i bought it ... but so far i love it.
wish i had gotten the heated grips.
i might go with a set of heated gloves.

MKorn said:
Bert said:

i've only managed 115 miles since i bought it ... but so far i love it.
wish i had gotten the heated grips.
i might go with a set of heated gloves.

Here's the ticket!

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=58

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=35

I had the same decision to make as you had...I made a list of features, prices, things I wanted, things I had to have, read reviews/forums and went down my checklist.  I ended up purchasing a brand new 2009 C14 ABS (red of course) for 11,5K in September of 2010.  Not only did I get a good price but I also negociated a 2010 windshield and a discounted set of heated grips for my 2009 that was included in the 11.5K price. 

Personally I wanted a red concours...none of the other colors (Blue, silver or whatever) did anything for me except say 'BMW copy' which I had no interest in.  I like bright colors on a cool bike.  I even looked and compared BMW's on my original list and frankly I could not pass up the red paint I got on my 2009 C14 ABS.

As for engine heat, which concerned me after reading reviews regarding heat blown at one's leg on the right side...After riding my  2009 connie I found this to be blown out of proportion because if you wear basic riding gear you don't even notice any heat (even with 'air pants'), when you are moving at any velocity at all.  Perhaps one benefit of this heat which no one seems to mention is that if you ride in the winter, as I do, I can tell you I never have cold feet even after an extended ride at over 80mph in sub freezing temps.  In reality, the only time I've ever noticed the heat from my engine was on one occasion when I road wearing shorts, which I DO NOT recommend.  (I'm an old guy who believes in wearing protection...and with any kind of pants and foot wear on, you won't notice any heat, unless you are stopped at a railroad crossing or maybe riding with someone chugging along on a Harley with no helmet  :))

As for the traction control....I think this is the one feature I wish I had the most, but then I can't say I have had any occasion where my 2009 has given me any need for this feature...Considering I live on a dirt road and routinely travel on very diversified road surfaces you'd think I'd really miss not having traction control, but so far so good.  Honestly I admit I have promised myself that I would never own a vehicle without traction control, so I am a believer in it, but I have never been let down by my connie yet.

With respect to the conbined ABS of the later connies...I can't compare except to say my wheel independent ABS has been performing fine for me, though being able to brake both wheels with my front brake does intrigue me...And my younger brother on his BMW swears by it.

With respect to having compartments in my fairing as well as my tank compartment...Yes I wish the '09 had those fairing compartments...any storage is good by me.

Hope this helps...and welcome to the group.

I dont believe I had the $$$$ for either one, brand new so my used 08 had to suffice.

The main issue I noticed was the windshield.  The adjustment felt like a silly option when the shield felt 2 inches too short in the highest position.  I discovered the other issues, and this forum, while searching for  a taller shield.

Once I saw the mirrors had been moved up, and the engine heat better managed, it was like  "yea, that would be nice" but truthfully I wouldnot have noticed either had it not been pointed out to me.

I was facing the same dilemma, after 52k on my 01 C10, I was in need of an upgrade.  I looked at the 2011 and the 2009.  I found a great deal of about 6k off a 2009 in RED w/ABS.  I couldn't pass it up.  I've had it for 3 weeks, and after 1300 miles I have upgraded to a Vstream windshield, I already had heated gloves, and in WA state, and ATGATT I haven't noticed the heat!    The mirrors do bug me, I need to look and see if there is a solution of some type available.  I'm the type that I'll keep the bike for 50k or more, so a difference in resale value doesn't bother me a bit. 
It's a fantastic ride! 

Just went through this dilemma myself and ended up with a new 2009 non-ABS in black.  Two things made up my mind for me:  First, I got the `09 for just under $10k, and second this particular dealer offered the most on my trade-in (highly customized 2000 Road Star).  Also, by trading in my bike I cut the sales tax on the Connie by more than half.

So why did I go with the 09?  I really would have liked to have ABS at the very least, but since I've never had it before it's not something I'm going to miss.  The extra features on the 2010+ models were very appealing as well, but nothing I can't live without or (in the case of heated grips) add myself.  I also considered the fact that without the linked brakes, ABS, traction control and economy mode (the one feature I really wanted) there's that much less electrical crap to go wrong with the bike.  KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) applies as the 08-09's already have enough electric doo-dads to give you fits (KiPass, TPS, EFI, etc).

Brought it home yesterday just beating the rain, so only about 60 miles on her thus far. 

I ended up with the 2011 model. I'm tickled with my decision and love the bike. I'll post a pick as soon as I take one that is smaller. The few that I have are too big to post here.

The main thing that swayed my decision was a 2009 model is already 3 years old. I figured the extra dough was also worth the few new features.

As you guys already know, great bike! Love to ride it.