• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

**2010 NATIONAL RALLY**

MAN OF BLUES

well, where is it gonna be??????
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Yes I missed this one in my backyard and I NEED to know if next year is doable...Somebody tell us where it's gonna be!!!

I'm dancing around looking like I'm doing the pee, pee dance. Someone give it up! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Someone said Wisconsin. In July. Anyone verify? http://millerized.com/pegs COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

2010 National will be in upper Wisconsin from July 12-16. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Specifically, Tomah, Wisconsin. :) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Little closer next year. Only 1900mi if I take Hwy 2 all the way. That could be fun. 2003 Concours, 51K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

LOL. Where the hell is Tomah, WI????? Riding across US 2 looks like a possibility but....the Midwest in July? Thanks, but no thanks. Been there. Done that. If they're going to do Nationals in the summer anywhere east of the Rockies they should (1) Find a place with some altitude; (2)set it up for a late spring date; (3) both #1 and #2.

I bet it will be cooler then down here in Tx. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Everywhere is "cooler" than Texas AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

yeah, but it's also going to be mid July. That might make up the difference. It will probably still be hot! Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

I think this is the rally HQ http://www.cranberrycountrylodge.com/ -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

[Sigh!] When are they going to offer a/c with motorcycles?
It is probably coming with the new Government regulations, the same ones that will strip us of all the fun of motorcycles. We of the SE region invite everyone to come back for the Fall Winding Roads and Rivers Rally that is scheduled for September at IronHorse MC Lodge in Stecoah Valley, about 13 miles from Fontana Village. Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA 2006 C10 COG # 7598 CDA#0293

Having been there, I can attest that even Fairbanks, AK, is hot in July. Eastern Washington is miserably hot in July. Radium Hot Springs in Bristish Columbia is hot in July. The bottom line is that, historically, whenever COG leadership schedules, or attempts to schedule, a National Rally during "Other Than The Normal Vacation Months" the hue and cry is significant. Wisconsin in October would be an absolute paradise, with warm Indian Summer days and crisp cool nights, and the risk of us Left Coasters hitting snow while crossing the Rockies, Saw Tooth, etc, would still be acceptable. BUT, reaction from the COGdom has always been in favor of having rallies when school's out.

not to complain, (ok I am) but it is 1866.81 miles each way for me. Are all the "National Rally"s just a east of the rockies thing? rk

RK- the NW are looking at options. Stay tuned :) Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Are all the National Rally"s just a east of the rockies thing? " Of course, the answer is No. There have been many rallies on The Left Coast, the latest one being HQ'd in Centralia, WA. We've had Nationals IN the Rockies, such as Banff, ALB, Montrose, CO, Ridgeway, CO and Avon, CO. We had the Rolling Rally in Washington and BC a few years ago. We've had a Death Valley National and the Gold Rush area rally in California. The very first COG rally was in Cody, WY. We've even had multiple Nationals in one year, so that everyone gets a choice of a short ride or long ride. There are many factors that determine where COG holds its National. One of the biggest factors is "Who's Willing To Put One On?" Quite often this gets translated as "Who's stupid enough to put one on?" or "Who's got short enough memory that they don't remember how the last time they did this it almost gave them a heart attack?" Running a rally is a HUGE job. Heck, putting on a Sunday Ride is a large enough task. In COG's history, most folks only do it once. But, at the same time, the COG leadership are also mindful of making sure the rally site choice is equitable to the attendees, or at least to those that WANT to attend. Feedback is very important to ALL levels of COG Leadership. You've made a start, now follow through. Don't just post to the forum, but look up the e-mail address of your AAD, AD and ED and let them know what you think. Finally there is the venue itself. Almost an edict is that the time of year has to be convenient for MOST people, which usually means summer. Orlando, FL is a neat place to take the kids in February, but pretty much of a drag for a bunch of mosickle crazies in August. The nearest thing they have to a curve is the I-75 interchange. Las Vegas is a blast if you want to see shows, party your tukas off, and drop a wad of ca$h, but again not much fun on a bike. COG rally sites usually come in two flavors: Really Neat Location (Banff, Avon, Fontana Village) or Towns That Are Boring But Near Great Roads And Offer Lots of Eateries and Cheap Places To Stay (Centralia, Montrose). Quite often the journey to GET to the rally site is fun and scenic. This also limits the number of sites available. When it comes down to it, distance is not as much of a factor as the things the rally site offers. I live in Seattle and have attended COG rallies in Arkansas, Kentucky and now North Carolina (OK, I cheated on the last one, but I was there). By the same measure, such COG luminaries as Pat Sprague (PA), Joe Congero (Long Island, NY) and Nebraska Jerry (uhhh, Nebraska?) have shown up at my R&P rallies in Ennis, MT. If the venue is right, people will come. After all, they bought a Concours, not a Ninja.

Hey, Rich. You forgot Frisco, CO last year! ;) Nice to meet you at Fontana this year. And y'all griping about where the national is gonna be...step up to the plate and host it in your area. Ooooh, flame on!! Yeah, it was hot at Fontana and Canaan Valley, but even Cogdom can't control the weather! In Frisco, I had to wait for the roads to clear over Hoosier Pass before I could get out of town. No place is perfect. Deal with it!!! I know I'm going to catch it over this, but I-DON'T-CARE! I'm tired of whining! We even had one guy at the National complain about wearing a wristband! GROW UP!!! My $0.02. The preceding not endorsed by COG, etc. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

Tomah! Very good. Sharry and I once rode a Suzi GS850 to a rally in New Lisbon, WI, which is about 21 miles from Tomah. It was 106 F riding through WV, and we didn't have cold gel vests, camelbacks, and the like back then. This trip will be cooler. ;) The dells are a lot of fun and I believe gambling is alive and well on the Indian reservation. Might even get my nerve up and ride back to VA via the Mackinac bridge. :8o: The KLR or the Wee Strom??? Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Looks like whatever you take, you leave the GPS at home this time? No more "Fugawee" tribe trips....ok? http://millerized.com/pegs COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

For those of you unfamiliar with Wisconsin weather, the 2nd and 3rd week of July are officially "summer". It could still freeze at night, but will be 80 to 85 during the day and in the 50's - 60's at night. At least it's that way in Green Bay, where I spent many summers. Since Tomah is more inland it may be a little hotter, but much better than most of the SECOG. My concern is the abundance of deer on the roads so I would not ride at dusk at the 2010 National. The wife wants to trailer, but even in a car that's a l-o-n-g two day drive up and back. I know this from experience. Maybe we could get an unofficial IBA SS1000 on the first day? LOL David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

The bottom line is that, historically, whenever COG leadership schedules, or attempts to schedule, a National Rally during "Other Than The Normal Vacation Months" the hue and cry is significant.
I have to question if this is still really the case, or is it 'just the way it's always been...???' How many people are truly limited by their jobs as to when they can take their vacation time? It really can't be a family thing, as the two Nationals I've been to were both in the summer and neither saw very many minors in attendance. Hell, Frisco was right in the middle of graduation season! Why not a fall rally in the Midwest, or even a Winter rally somewhere down south? I'm still pissed that I couldn't make the Bar Harbor rally in Maine this past October, and I'm sure a great time was had by all in attendance regardless of the date! In any event, leadership could put it to a poll to really find out what dates work best for the majority; they could even put up three choices for a location, say every third year, and let the membership vote on it. Just thinking out loud, not trying to stir up a ruckus... I would think it also depends on the availability of time for those volunteering to put it on as well, and certainly we can be flexible with and grateful for their time given for all our enjoyment. :) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

FLAME SUIT ON!! Given the amount of whining/crying/moaning/groaning when the 2007 & 2008 rally dates were announced ("Our kids are still in school/graduating! Are you guys nuts; there's still snow in the CO mountains in early June!"), I'm pretty convinced that there's a block of folks who will never be satisified with either the date or location unless it is totally scheduled around them with all lodging, food, drink, etc. provided free of charge. AFAIK, the date/venue for 2011 is open. Please feel free to put together a proposal and present it to the Executive Board. I suspect that the reason several recent dates/venues were accepted is because they were the only ones presented. It's not hard to "win" if you're the only bike in the race. That said, WV had the highest turnout (I think) ever WITH 450+. NC had over 320 attend. CO had (I think) about 260 and probably had a greater percentage of SECOG members than SWCOG or NWCOG (based on # attending vs. # of members). Personally I would love to see a rally held in CA, OR, WA, AZ, UT, NM or other points in the West/NW areas but when's the last time (other than Frisco) that they stepped up to the plate? 2005 Centralia, WA. What was the attendance? CA hasn't hosted a rally since 1994 (guess there's no good riding in CA, eh?).Ahhh. What's the use? The Whiners/Complainers will still whine/complain. Me? I'll ride the 1100+ miles to WI and have a great time (just like I have at every rally I've attended).

Steve K makes a valid point, but the bottom line is that Perception Is Reality and to the people that have stepped up to running this club, the perception has indeed been in favor of summer months. COG indeed has had off-season Nationals; the Arkansas one in May comes to mind, and I myself would NOT have attended had it been in July. But Ranger Jim also makes a point: Don't just post desires here, let the COG leadership know your desires, starting with your AAD. Better yet, volunteer to run a rally, or at least assist. This is a good discussion and I thank everyone who is participating.

Steve Smith said: "I think this is the rally HQ http://www.cranberrycountrylodge.com/" It is. The "National 99" was held in Merrimac, Wisconsin Jul 26-30, 1999. It was hot as Hades getting there, even going up through Canada and coming down through Sault Ste. Marie, but rally central wasn't all that bad. I had a good time and am planning on hitting this one. Me thinks I'll finally get to go make the trip around Lake Superior - something I've wanted to do for a long time. Tomah isn't but 223 miles south of Duluth. Me also thinks I need to get my passport renewed. Route planning already in the works............ :)

David Sturgis wrote: "Maybe we could get an unofficial IBA SS1000 on the first day? LOL" That's exactly what I did en route to Montana, just to get North and out of the VA heat. It's 1,111 miles to New Lisbon, WI from Luray; was 103 F when I left home, 82 F and a nice drizzle the next afternoon in WI. Last time I left WI it was 80 F at 5 AM!! leaving the COG National there. It was 108 F Heat index when I arrived Cincy. Yeah, on a Connie 10000. :8|: The folks up there did a great job organizing that rally. I assume some of them have stepped up for another beating?? ;p Do I smell another track day at Blackhawk Farms? Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Rich Reed said: "The bottom line is that, historically, whenever COG leadership schedules, or attempts to schedule, a National Rally....." Rich, as you well know, it isn't COG leadership that schedules the rallies. They merely vote on what's been presented before them by those who have stepped up to the plate. If more than one has been put before them, they go through the voting process to make a selection. If there's only one, then the procedure is really a moot point. Bottom line, it's those in the membership that come up with the ideas for a location. Dialog between them and their AD should have them coming up with a time that seems to make the most sense given their locale.

The 2009 Rally just finished, and you guys are already jonesing for the 2010 rally? Bikers are so weird. ;) : 42k miles

Haven't missed a National starting with 2001. That was on an invite from guys (from Missouri - Gindra and Siebel) blowing by me on I-80 west of Salt Lake City on their way to the National. I attended the 01 and 02 before I joined COG. Why join or go the Nationals each year? Three reasons: #1 The People, The People, The People #2 (Once you get there) - The Roads, The Roads, The Roads #3 The shear FUN of riding there and back home again. I'm not a very good corner carver ( I'm right near Chicago) but every so often I get up early and "zoom" around the clover-leafs on the expressways just to practice for the National. I'm not young, good, or fast - BUT I AM SERIOUS ABOUT RIDING!! And, if you're serious too, you'll hit every National you can. John Hoogewerf Lansing, Illinois

The 2009 Rally just finished, and you guys are already jonesing for the 2010 rally? Bikers are so weird. There are 1001 ways to get from <insert name of your town here> to the rally site. Can't start route planning too early. This stuff takes time!!! Yes, we are weird. Who else loves sitting out in the wind roasting/freezing/getting wet/drying out for hours on end, staying in cheap motels or in tents, and eating road food for weeks, all while grinning ear to ear? There's a little Bronson in all of us. Well, hang in there.

Rich puts it eloquently. We are afflicted and addicted, no hope of cure. Planning is almost as important a part of a road trip as the doing; it's gets your mind there even if the bod is at a desk. I am looking at Lima, Ohio as a 1/2 way (500 mile) stop point. This is where the massive Shay steam locomotives were built and there is a museum. Of course, the Shays can be best seen today by hearing, smelling, and riding the train at Cass Scenic RR State Park in Cass, WV.That's something very doable for those attending the Dog Days weekend at Boyer, WV in August. See you there! :) Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

We rode the Cass Railroad in WV and it was great. If I was going there, I would have to stop at Green Banks and view the collection of Robert Byrd hardware. Seriously, it's very interesting and a nationally designated "quiet zone". The tour is not long and really interesting. David in Jax, FL COG# 7898 CDA # 2002 ZZR-1200 "Magic Carpet" 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500 LC "Luxury Couch"

Pat, Lima, OH is also where the M1 Tanks are assembled and retrofitted. Another interesting site for those mechanically interested.

If I was going there, I would have to stop at Green Banks and view the collection of Robert Byrd hardware. Seriously, it's very interesting and a nationally designated "quiet zone". The tour is not long and really interesting
During the '07 national Jerry Holland arranged a small group, private tour up close & personal with the GBT. We got to ride the lifts up to the top of the tower where the receivers are. Very cool!! Definitely worth the trip for anyone goin g to the Dog Days event.
214658654_yAdG4-S.jpg
214659342_fRgtk-S.jpg
214656252_ZnRHm-S.jpg
214656454_ownTQ-S.jpg
214656905_bQZ3T-S.jpg
-- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Those pictured just don't do the size of that monster justice. I can imagine being up on top probably did. http://millerized.com/pegs COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Robert Elliott wrote "Lima, OH is also where the M1 Tanks are assembled and retrofitted. Another interesting site for those mechanically interested. " Cool, Robert. I always wanted an Abrams. I'll have to plan more time in Lima to see some stuff. Pat COG 1887 IBA 5830 NRA LIFE VSSA LIFE Assorted bikes own me.

Looking at the terrain map just to the SW of the rally town looks like it holds a few good roads. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Looking at the terrain map just to the SW of the rally town looks like it holds a few good roads. >>>>>>>> More than a few...I rode steadily in that area for 30++ years. Steve J Tavares, Floriduh '99 w/110,000 miles When I ride alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Having been the fool that stepped up to the plate, I can tell you a few things that might help. As for the weather, had we held the 09 National a week later everyone would have died from the heat. I was seeing 99-101 here in north Georgia and I know it was well above 95 at Fontana. What little rain we had was only marginal, as the prediction was for a lot more. As for a time that is conducive to all, you will never find it. But if you have a site that can provide activities for children, then do schedule it for the summer vacations. That way families can make it a vacation for all. Personally, I prefer fall or spring events, but our kids are grown and gone, well all but one, and yes, he is grown. :) Each site has it's positive features, you just have to promote them truthfully and try to make it appealing for all. If you have a good site with good attractions, then people will come. How many is determined by many factors that you have no control of. If you advertise it well enough and early enough, people will make their plans accordingly. Site selection is the major item, the date is secondary. Now as for my wishes for a National, near Lake George the week before or after Americade, somewhere near New Orleans, somewhere in Texas, somewhere in the Ozark Mountains, somewhere near the Grand Canyon (that has showers in the campgrounds) and somewhere in central Kentucky. Why Ky, I grew up there. :) Now would I step up for another National, maybe in a few years, if I'm still alive. Where, how about somewhere near Chattanooga or back at Fontana? When, in the fall, say 2nd or 3rd week of October. Voice your thoughts. That is how this works. I had a good time as the rallymeister, even though I worked my butt off. I got to ride a total of 172 miles. Had we not gotten there two days early, I'd not have been able to ride the Cherohala again. It was the first time for Cindy, my wife. I've done Deals Gap several times before, but the one road I keep missing is Foothills Parkway. That's OK, I plan to be at WRRR so I'll get another shot at it. Little River Road, how many rode it? Let me know your thoughts. I like it but it can get to you. The scenery is, well, nothing you can see anywhere else. I guess that says why I like it. I will tell you this, seeing any of these places in the fall when the colors are so bright and vibrant, well, you just need to be there as there are no words to describe it. Robert and David are the hosts for the Winding Rivers and Roads Rally at IronHorse MC Lodge in September. IronHorse, a great facility, one of the best. If you've not been there, well, get there. You'll only be sorry if you miss it. To sum all of this up, this is a great nation we live in, filled with great people. So if you want to do something for yourself and other Concours owners, then step up to the plate, plan, and host an event. It is for sure a no lose situation. tcars John and if you don't know by now, tcars means, "Take Care And Ride Safe". translaton, "Do don't as you see me do, do as I say." :)