• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2011 Iron Butt Rally

captkurt

Bicycle
Made it safely out here to Seattle yesterday afternoon. The ride from West Palm Beach was 3325 miles and took 74.5 hours. Passed tech inspection with no problem. Today need to do the odo check and the rest of the check-in/registration stuff. The first daily report from rally HQ has been published and can be found here: http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011.cfm .

Today's report also said this is my 1st IBR when in fact I rode in '09 also! I may have blown an engine and DNF'd on the last day, but I rode. No, I didn't upgrade. I'm on the '03 connie. I'll have to talk to Tom Austin about a correction.LOL

My 'no plan' had me at the SeaTac Marriot about 5:45 Sun eve.
I did see a '03 (?) C10 in the back parking lot.
Sneaked a look in the banquet room and there were many many people but as we do not recognize each other yet did not go in.
Sorry not to have been more organized in meeting you Kurt.
Not one to brave city rush hour I won't be there Mon morn. I expect you and all will be very pre occupied tho.
Ride well, ride safe.

Dan, yeah that was my '03. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet also. I'm not looking forward to the traffic either
danodemotoman said:
My 'no plan' had me at the SeaTac Marriot about 5:45 Sun eve.
I did see a '03 (?) C10 in the back parking lot.
Sneaked a look in the banquet room and there were many many people but as we do not recognize each other yet did not go in.
Sorry not to have been more organized in meeting you Kurt.
Not one to brave city rush hour I won't be there Mon morn. I expect you and all will be very pre occupied tho.
Ride well, ride safe.

Well the the requirements and bonuses for the rally are pretty simple this year. In order to be a finisher a rider will have to get a reciept from all 48 states in the eleven days of the rally. Extra points will be given for taking pictures of state capitols and going to the 4 corners of the lower 48. Finished planning my 1st leg, a winding route of a little over 5400 miles to get me to the checkpoint in NY.

Kurt,

Best of luck in your journey!  I envy you man!  ;)  (I'd probably change that thought after 8 or 9 days!) We'll all be "watching you"

Be safe!

Good luck Kurt,
I saw you pull out on a video that was posted.  Take care and I hope all the C10, C14s and their riders have fun, function great and make everyone proud.  Now go beat a BMW at half the price.

Good luck... Look for BDF. He is still in WA after completing a 50CC the hard way on his C14. He said he would ride over from Tacoma for the send off. 

S Smith said:
Good luck... Look for BDF. He is still in WA after completing a 50CC the hard way on his C14. He said he would ride over from Tacoma for the send off.

Actually he's on his way back across the country. At this moment, he is in Wyoming.

I was geeking out on the spotwalla and noticed that the masses were getting close, so I decided to ride up to Elwood, KS (a logical stopping point for some of the IBR riders).  The lady that was at the gas station indicated that she has had a lot of riders show up looking for recipts.  While I was there, Steve Aikens showed up.  I said Hi, but didn't want to interrupt his ride.  Man those guys are efficient, he stopped fuelled, and then rolled out in less than 5 mintues!

5 mins is good...  I don't have a aux tank, so when I did the www.edslastresortrally.com, it was pull up, bike off, fill up, crank up, and go.  Never even putting the stand down unless I had to go inside for a receipt.  Every sec stopped, you are loosing time.  These guys are good though.  I wish Kurt the best of luck.  I'm shooting for a 2015 entry.  Need a couple more big rally finishes before the big show :)

Miles said:
Stole this from John Ryan's FB.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12238956/rally-planning-ibr-style

A lil movie about how the 2011 Iron Butt got planned.

I got bounced from the Iron Butt Magazine facebook page
211206_215472378531_4611245_n.jpg
for posting it on their wall.  They seem to be lacking a sense of humor about this video.  ???

"They seem to be lacking a sense of humor about this video."
Why oh why would they be that way.  It made me laugh.  Maybe to much truth in it?

smithr-scad said:
"They seem to be lacking a sense of humor about this video."
Why oh why would they be that way.  It made me laugh.  Maybe to much truth in it?
I think it is because it made Mike Kneebone look anorexic. :rotflmao:

2120617310102652906S600x600Q85.jpg
4372556499_617bed4c81.jpg

38th after leg 1.  Too bad we don't have his SPOT if he has one.  I'm wondering if hes going for the 4 corner bonus.

I actually did meet up with Kurt and spoke with him for a few minutes on Sunday. Then I saw him again at a stoplight in Montana on Tuesday. Also saw two other IBR guys in Montanna on Tues. although I didn't know who they were.

Brian

S Smith said:

They are winging (or bmw'ing, or FJR'ing, or whatever) their way south towards Jacksonville.  Wish them luck and Godspeed.

http://spotwalla.com/locationViewer.php?id=67

I'm watching Roger Sinclair right now, his spot is 30 minutes from the end checkpoint....he has till 10 west coast time to arrive....
I have been keeping him going every night with cross country conversation, to keep him awake and sharp when he starts to drift....
I think he is set to be a winner right now, and I'm really proud of him!!!
He has collected the 4800 points for Alaska, he'll get the 4800 points for getting in all the states, and he'll get huge bonus points for all the capitols he grabbed on this last leg....
I'll let you know who won in a couple hours!!!

SUCCESS!!!!!!! I have qualified as a finisher in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally!! I just finished scoring and lost no points at the table. I did the loop up to the big bonuses at Salt Lake City, Carson City and Sacramento as well as some smaller ones along the way. I'll post score, mileage and finishing position along with some details of the ride in the next day or so.

MAN OF BLUES said:
I'm watching Roger Sinclair right now, his spot is 30 minutes from the end checkpoint....he has till 10 west coast time to arrive....
I have been keeping him going every night with cross country conversation, to keep him awake and sharp when he starts to drift....
I think he is set to be a winner right now, and I'm really proud of him!!!
He has collected the 4800 points for Alaska, he'll get the 4800 points for getting in all the states, and he'll get huge bonus points for all the capitols he grabbed on this last leg....
I'll let you know who won in a couple hours!!!

Roger may have a tough time beating Jim Frens.  Roger only had a 3180 point lead over Jim after leg one which is less than the Hyder bonus.  Jim bagged the Four Corners bonus which equals the Hyder bonus that Roger has and Jim may have collected more State Capital bonus points.  We won't know for sure until the final tally.

Congratulations Kurt! What an amazing accomplishment... you're a better man than I!!! :08:

captkurt said:
SUCCESS!!!!!!! I have qualified as a finisher in the 2011 Iron Butt Rally!! I just finished scoring and lost no points at the table. I did the loop up to the big bonuses at Salt Lake City, Carson City and Sacramento as well as some smaller ones along the way. I'll post score, mileage and finishing position along with some details of the ride in the next day or so.

:bravo_2:  Congratulations Kurt! :You_Rock_Emoticon: 

Thanks for doing such a great job representing COG and all us C-10 riders who wish we could do what you do. 

Have a great time at the banquet tonight. :06:  You earned it.  :72:

COG-528 said:
Roger may have a tough time beating Jim Frens.  Roger only had a 3180 point lead over Jim after leg one which is less than the Hyder bonus.  Jim bagged the Four Corners bonus which equals the Hyder bonus that Roger has and Jim may have collected more State Capital bonus points.  We won't know for sure until the final tally.

HEHEHEHEH
we'll see.... let's put it this way, I have Roger's spot track, he was not being tracked by IBA or on the main page.... you will be really surprised when his miles are revealed, and he devastated leg 3 on bonuses and miles, and he had to run back up and grab OREGON...(he even rolled thru Boise en-route for good measure...)..which rocked. That 3100 point lead was after leg 2, not after leg 1.
as far as bonus points, I think the top ten will be so close in points, it will come down to arrival times and miles traveled :))

and i'm sorry for not droppinig a big CONGRAT'S TO YOU ALSO KURT!!!i slipped up in the heat of the moment,  You did great also!!!  ^-^

Kurt, congrats. Does this mean you're buying everybody's breakfast at the Daytona COG breakfast thing for BikeTrailerFest? ;)

The final results are in. I finished in 35th place which falls into the silver medal catagory. I scored 14,619 points and rode 10,826 miles. I'm really happy with the finish since after leg 2 , I was in the basement in 54th place. More details on the ride to follow. Right now I need to get some sleep.

captkurt said:
The final results are in. I finished in 35th place which falls into the silver medal category. I scored 14,619 points and rode 10,826 miles. I'm really happy with the finish since after leg 2 , I was in the basement in 54th place. More details on the ride to follow. Right now I need to get some sleep.

You,, yes you,... ARE DA MAN!! Congratulations on your accomplishment!  Fan Freaking tastic  :)

Also, during the rally I made the required visit to all 48 states of the continental US and visited 20 state capitals for bonus points. In addition to the miles I rode in the rally, I rode 3325 miles just to get to the starting line in Seattle and tomorrow I start the 2675 mile ride home from the finish here in Ontario, CA. More to follow.

congrats again Kurt, have a safe ride home.  8)

as for my comments on the points/miles scoring, there was a spread of 1,300 points/1,085 miles dividing the first 6 place winners, that was one tight ride considering the routes...
My pal Roger rolled 4th, right behind Frens, very close....Frens penalties for coming in late were the deciding factors... the overall winner Peter Behm, came out of nowhere at the start of leg 3 was sitting 13th. to finish out ahead.
http://www.ironbutt.com/IBR/2011/html/3.html

congrats to all of them, and I hope they ride safely back home.

Yea! Congrats again Kurt  :1rij:
You made us all looking on proud of your accomplishment and to call you one of ours!  :clap: :c029: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :sign0098: :pDT_Armataz_01_37: :whoo: :s_good: :bravo_2:

captkurt said:
Also, during the rally I made the required visit to all 48 states of the continental US and visited 20 state capitals for bonus points. In addition to the miles I rode in the rally, I rode 3325 miles just to get to the starting line in Seattle and tomorrow I start the 2675 mile ride home from the finish here in Ontario, CA. More to follow.

captkurt said:

Nice going Kurt. So how many miles on that bad boy do you now have?

Congrats on the IBA finish Kurt, great job.

It was good to see you in Seattle on Monday and really amusing to see you again at that traffic light in Montana on Tuesday. It was Montana.... I think, right?

Brian

captkurt said:

Before this topic gets too far down the list, I just want to say a huge thanks to everyone who followed this topic and posted words of encouragement here! Even though I was not able to post during the rally, almost every night I would read what you folks were posting and took great strength from your kind words. I'm extremely proud to be a member of the greatest owners group in the world! And I'm elated that I was able to successfully represent the Concours marque in "The worlds toughest motorcycle rally". Thanks again. You folks are the best!!
Kurt
ps. And yes, I will get around to doing some sort of write up about the rally. I probably won't have much more to say than "lots of #@!%ing rain".

This is the first IBR I've followed and am just amazed at the incredible pace.  It blows me away that you did the rally plus the round trip "commute" from Florida, and sure am proud that you represented all of us on you Connie.  I'd like to hear more about your experience if you get around to it.
Just a bit unclear were you on a C10 or C14?
Have a safe trip home.

Cagefree- I'm on a 2003 c 10. In Tom Austins report he incorrectly stated that I was on a c 14. He was also incorrect in stating that it was my first IBR. I rode in '09, but blew the engine on the last day and DNF'd. He was right about me riding in the IB 5000.

BDF- yes, I think it was Montana. Good seeing you in Seattle.

2linby- By the time I get home the mileage will be right at 70k. When I bought the bike in jan 2010 it had 21k on it. I didn't realize how fast I had racked up the miles on it until I wrote this.

captkurt said:
ps. And yes, I will get around to doing some sort of write up about the rally. I probably won't have much more to say than "lots of #@!%ing rain".

Sounds Great!  I followed along farily closely.  Since you rode in the 2009 and the 2011, I would be very glad to hear your thoughts on the differences between the two (48 states vs. the suprise bonus locations)>

Once again, Great Job Kurt!!!

Well done, Kurt. I ASSume yer gonna have a few new pals now that ya accomplished that feat. Enjoy!