• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 Bun Cooler

'Usual', third full weekend in May. Late this year but hear we will get out old date (third w/e) back in 2013.

jathkajoe said:
Looking waaay ahead on my work calendar.  Any dates set for the 2013 Bun Cooler yet?

JathkaJoe

Those dates locked in Charlie? May be working on a SW regional in Cedar City UT the following weekend. Anyone want to tie in a few days in ID falls between the two? Might make for a pretty nice week.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Those dates locked in Charlie? May be working on a SW regional in Cedar City UT the following weekend. Anyone want to tie in a few days in ID falls between the two? Might make for a pretty nice week.

Yep, the dates are carved in stone.  Last year was an anomoly with the first weekend of June.

I talked to Mike Curtis and he says he haven't confirmed the date yet with the resort. He said he would call, but that was a couple of weeks ago.

I talked to the owner before we left, and he said we're good to go for the third weekend of May.

I had breakfast there yesterday and was told that they have new owners and managers. I emailed Mike Curtis to see if he knew anything.

Mike sent me an email today saying he had too many things going on in his life so I offered to do the Bun Cooler.

I'm going to get in touch with the new owners and get a date set up and let everyone know when the dates are confirmed.

I contacted the resort today and the 3rd weekend of May is taken by the bluegrass group. Here are out options.

May 10,11,12. The 12th is Mother's Day.
May 24,25,26. The 27th is Memorial Day.
May 31, June 1,2.

I didn't ask about later dates, which I can do if any of these don't prove to be popular.
Let me know what you guys think>

With the rains and even a little snow falling in May over the last couple of PNW spring times, I'd vote for as late as possible.  Plus the holiday weekends will 'likely' limit the field a bit.  My own issue will be Memorial weekend due to activities at the hotel.

That's my 2¢

This winter is suppose to be an El Nino so it should be drier and warmer than normal. We usually have nice dry Junes with El Nino. Even May is usually fairly dry. There should be less snow in the mountains so if some members would like to bring their dual sports there should be plenty of roads to ride. I would make up some routes if there was interest in some dual sport rides.

Given the bait and switch with new ownership, are we totally locked into the L&C in Kamiah?

NOPE, IMO!
Any new owner would be advised to be aware of past schedules to keep group clients. Makes me think another location is an option.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Given the bait and switch with new ownership, are we totally locked into the L&C in Kamiah?

Looks like Grangeville and Orofino both have several lodging options.  Neither is far from Kamiah.  Food for thought.

JathkaJoe

I looked around last year when Mike was getting jacked around. There are other places, but none have an area where we can have a campfire to sit around and ******** as well as the banquet room right there so we don't have to ride anywhere.

Three Rivers is more interested in rafters. That really showed the last 2 times we were there. They wouldn't even fire up the grill after the power failed so we had to go across the hwy. to eat.

I don't know what the new owners are like, but I will talk to them to lock in a date for every year. The problem is the date. They probably won't give us the 3rd weekend of May because the bluegrass group is much larger than us. The last weekend of May sometimes conflicts with Memorial Day. I'm hoping we can come up with a date at this years Cooler for the next year and reserve it right then.  If not, I will be looking for another place.

Most of the input I've received is for May 31, June1. Unless I receive some complaints in the next few days I will set it up for those dates. I'll let everyone know as soon as I confirm the date.

I set the date for May31, June1. I also talked to them about setting the date for next year at this years Cooler. They said that shouldn't be a problem. I looked at calenders and Memorial Day won't conflict with the end of May/first of June until 2017 and then the 4th weekend of May would be the week before Memorial Day. I think moving the Cooler back from the 3rd to 4th week is probably better weather wise. We can pick our dates at this years Cooler and lock them in. We still will have to work around the bluegrass people, but at least we will know what the dates will be. I'll get it posted on the event calender as soon as I get all the information.

Also let me know if anyone has ideas for what you would like at this Cooler. I thought maybe we could have a presentation from Darrell about his over the pond trip. We could also have a presentation from those who attended the National Rally in Eureka Springs as well as information about next years in Idaho Falls. We might even drink a little beer.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I set the date for May31, June1. We might even drink a little beer.
Jim, This date locked (yeah, I'm looking at you Charlie)?  :beerchug:

I get a paycheck? I can't wait.
:rotflmao:
Everything is set. I don't have the price yet for the banquet. It is a little hard for them to set prices this far in advance. You can still book a room any time and we will get a special rate, what ever that might be. They did say prices for rooms and the banquet will be similar to last year.

I also checked the weather and it is suppose to be sunny and warm all weekend. :)

A thanks to Jim for picking up the ball for 2013!  ;)
Never to forget Mike C's effort over the last several years hosting the BC!  :))

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Everything is set. I don't have the price yet for the banquet. It is a little hard for them to set prices this far in advance. You can still book a room any time and we will get a special rate, what ever that might be. They did say prices for rooms and the banquet will be similar to last year.

I also checked the weather and it is suppose to be sunny and warm all weekend. :)

danodemotoman said:
A thanks to Jim for picking up the ball for 2013!  ;)
Never to forget Mike C's effort over the last several years hosting the BC!  :))

Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Yes Thanks Jim for keeping this rolling along. I too have to echo Dan's comments on Mikes efforts and hopefully he will be able to attend if not make an appearance.

I have everything set up for the Bun Cooler. It will be May 31 - June 1 at the Lewis & Clark Resort. (208-935-2556 www.lewisclarkresort.com ) We will have a link on the calendar as soon as we get the information about shirts.

We get the group rate for rooms they are:
$60 for room with 2 queen beds.
$50 for a king.
$90 for the small cabins.
Plus tax

We have 2 choices for meals; salmon or BBQ pork ribs. The price is $17.00 and that includes tax and gratuity. You have to order which one you want by 2 weeks before the Bun Cooler or you will have to order off the menu. We will get that set up on the website also.

I also ordered sunny weather for both days.

Okay, a noooob question.

Just what is the "Bun Cooler" event?

Just trying to figure out what's going on before I consider the 400+ mile jaunt to what seems to be the otherside of nowhere  :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Udoggie said:
Okay, a noooob question.

Just what is the "Bun Cooler" event?

Just trying to figure out what's going on before I consider the 400+ mile jaunt to what seems to be the otherside of nowhere  :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
  The Bun Cooler is the longest-running event in COG history.  this year is the 22nd annual event in a club that's 24 years old.  It also generates a large attendance count, rivaling our regional rally for numbers of folks who show up.  The BC consists of lots of great people riding in from many different places and spending time together bs'ing when we're not out riding great mountain roads.  In the last few years we've been gathering at the western foot of Lolo Pass on U.S. 12, where there is a sign warning you to be careful due to 99 miles of curvy road.  If U.S. 12 doesn't appeal to you, there are plenty of other roads that are shorter.  along with the bench racing folks like to slake their thirst with anything and everything from water to things that might contain a small amount of water in the list of ingredients.  Saturday night we have a banquet feast complete with door prizes.  this year we're also trying to get Darrell Anderson, Membership Czar and this year's OtP traveler, to give a short presentation on his trip to Europe.
  The Bun Cooler is a great way to spend a weekend surrounded by riders who don't make asses of themselves.  Come on out and join the fun!

The Bun Cooler is a great way to spend a weekend surrounded by riders who don't make asses of themselves.  Come on out and join the fun!
:iagree:

I might have seen a couple make an ass out of themself. :D

The first COG event I ever went to was the Bun Cooler about 9 years ago. I met a bunch of really nice guys and since have been to lots of COG events that have taken me from Alaska to Arkansas. You can post on here and find someone coming from your direction and hook up for the ride here. Coggers know all the best roads everywhere. I never thought I would do touring when I bought my Connie and now I spend several weeks every year seeing the country. Coggers don't stand around and just look at their bikes. They are serious riders.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I might have seen a couple make an ass out of themself. :D

Coggers don't stand around and just look at their bikes. They are serious riders.

I'm serious?  :-\  Seriously!~  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Udoggie, The Bun Cooler is a great time. I don't know it will be with new owners but the food was always great and not wallet busting for what you got on the plate. The staff at Lewis and Clark were always outstanding. There are some good roads to ride to boot. Like Charlie said LO LO pass is a must do at least once. 

The first COG event I went to was the Bun Cooler when the 09 was new. I wanted to see if these COG guys were the sort I wanted to hang out with. After having an absolute blast, I joined COG and have yet to meet a fellow Cogger I didn't like. Lots of guys/gals ride 400+ miles to get there. My trek is about 360 miles. While it is in the middle of no place, it's a good in the middle of no place to be.

Just registered.  Looking forward to seeing some familiar faces as well as new ones.    Norm

I'm in sunny Arizona right now and have limited access to the internet. When I get home at the end of Feb. I'll get a link set up so everyone can order their meal and t-shirts. I'm sure that 3 months should be enough time for everyone to register.

In the mean time I'm going to continue to ride my atv and explore the back roads and trails of Arizona, Utah, and maybe New Mexico. I would have liked to brought my motorcycle, but there is a limit to how much a person can haul.

Can someone tell me how to register for the Bun Cooler. I want to attend, am new in the club, and not real "swift" on computers. But I do not see a registration form or what ever to get signed up. Thanks for the help.

The phone number for Lewis and Clark is also listed where Charlie sent you. Call the number and reserve a room. Don't wait too long as the rooms will be filling up pretty fast as the date nears. I didn't go in 2010 because I waited to long and had get get a room at the alternate motel. I decided not to go because I would miss out on the evening campfires.

The Bun Cooler can be a hoot. I decided to join COG after attending my first Bun Cooler in 09 with my then new C14. I found these C10 and C14 riders are the sort I like to hang out with.

Woodie, hope to see you there. I don't know where you live but sometimes some hook up for the ride to the resort and back. I live in north central WA.

Just registered! WOO HOO!! :motonoises:

How do you show a google map? Want input on the trip.

Nobody? Ok, I have attached a link to my map. If anyone has suggestions as to a detour, let me know. From Vancouver to Kamiah to San Jose and back to Vancouver.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=217125092872219515977.0004d4cb3814b1cf8dc70&msa=0&ll=39.368279,-119.893799&spn=6.487793,9.876709

Gregg, You will love SR-20 going over the N. Cascades and it is one of my more favorites. If interested I'm trying to get a couple of guys together for the ride into Kamiah. If you look at your map you will see you will be doing a hard left turn to stay on 20 just south of Twisp. If you go straight on 153, it runs into 97 at Pateros (Pa-ter-os) make a left turn on 97, go north 6 miles and you are going to be a few blocks from my residence. I might be able to find some road kill to eat and a old cot for you to sleep on if interested. (just kidding about the road kill, the wife cooks good enough I sure haven't missed many meals) Tim

TimR said:
Gregg, You will love SR-20 going over the N. Cascades and it is one of my more favorites. If interested I'm trying to get a couple of guys together for the ride into Kamiah. If you look at your map you will see you will be doing a hard left turn to stay on 20 just south of Twisp. If you go straight on 153, it runs into 97 at Pateros (Pa-ter-os) make a left turn on 97, go north 6 miles and you are going to be a few blocks from my residence. I might be able to find some road kill to eat and a old cot for you to sleep on if interested. (just kidding about the road kill, the wife cooks good enough I sure haven't missed many meals) Tim
That sounds like it could be a plan! Last year I made it to Omak the first day, so that's about the same distance. We can talk closer to the time. I'm sure I will be on my own. Road kill works.... ;D

gsun said:
TimR said:
That sounds like it could be a plan! Last year I made it to Omak the first day, so that's about the same distance. We can talk closer to the time. I'm sure I will be on my own. Road kill works.... ;D
If your going down to San Jose after the BC then back through UT join us in Cedar City for the SW regional if the dates work. Love ta have ya. :beerchug:

That looks good as well. I decided not to go through Idaho Falls because that is where the National is and I thought I would save it for then. Also trying to stay off the flat land as much as possible. Although, last year I went down 95 and it was beautiful!

We had a little hiccup with online registration.  After setting things up I learned the L&C is having us collect money and meal orders in advance, so we're going to have to re-do the online registration.  It is currently disabled, and we'll have to make a new event for the calendar and get folks re-registered once we have things set up to accept payments.  Sorry for the confusion.

I'm working with Colin right now on setting up the new registration form. I'm waiting on information on the t-shirts. I'm hoping we can get the form set up by the end of the week or early next week.

For those interested they got it fixed and are now taking registrations again. I got the pork ribs.  :)

I just registered, I didn't see an order form for a t-shirt, or is that still yet to come?  Norm 

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I have everything set up for the Bun Cooler. It will be May 31 - June 1 at the Lewis & Clark Resort. (208-935-2556 www.lewisclarkresort.com ) We will have a link on the calendar as soon as we get the information about shirts.

We get the group rate for rooms they are:
$60 for room with 2 queen beds.
$50 for a king.
$90 for the small cabins.
Plus tax

Just a heads up, I just booked my room and there is only one left.  It is a room with two queens for 60.00. 

There is the word "order" below the picture of the shirt logo, if you click on it it should take you to a site to order the shirts
But it is getting updated right now it should work this afternoon
Bruce

KunaGuy said:
Just a heads up, I just booked my room and there is only one left.  It is a room with two queens for 60.00.
Thanks for the heads up Kuna. I just got the last room.  :great:

The shirt order form works again
after you select the type of shirt you need to click on ADD TO INQUIRIES
that will take you to the order size and qty

I must be doing something wrong too. Registered, Picked Salmon sent to the payment page. Never saw an option for shirt so backed out of it and checking here again.

I must be doing something wrong too. Registered, Picked Salmon sent to the payment page. Never saw an option for shirt so backed out of it and checking here again.

If you go to the Northwest calendar and click on the "22nd annual Bun Cooler event" you will see an " orders" link listed under the display of the Bun Cooler ride logo.  Hopefully that gets you there. 

KunaGuy said:
If you go to the Northwest calendar and click on the "22nd annual Bun Cooler event" you will see an " orders" link listed under the display of the Bun Cooler ride logo.  Hopefully that gets you there.
Very strange....when I go to the NW event calendar, there is no Bun Cooler listed!

Thanks to all for your patience as I try to figure out this silly event page  -- AND SHIRT ORDERS.  :truce:  Sorry to everyone who was frustrated with the process, Apparel Ordering should be fixed and the process has been simplified!  Perhaps you were confused and looking for the page that I would have to take down occasionally.  >:D  I tried not to leave it down for too long.  There are a couple of weird things that are remnants to areas I can't change anymore because someone purchased them.   

Thank you for understanding ~ I am still learning.  :-\

Hey Kari!  :sign0098: :You_Rock_Emoticon:

The shirt orders are fixed and easy to accomplish.  I just ordered mine.  Thanks!  I'll arrange your 50% pay raise. ;)

I'm looking forward to attending. I'm just waiting for a response from the resort. I understand from previous posts that all the rooms are gone but I don't mind camping as long as there are shower and restroom facilities. Once I know I can book a tent site I'll register for the event.

Any other Canadians attending from BC? I'll be riding down on the 31st via Omak, Spokane and Lewiston and anyone that wants some company is more than welcome to ride with me.

Cheers
Dale

It looks like all the hotel rooms are now booked. I don't mind camping but if it rains it will really suck.  The large cabin is still available at $135/night but I can't justify the cost by myself. If anyone would like to split the cost and share the cabin I'm game. Just send me a PM and we can set it up
Cheers
Dale

I'm suppose to have the large cabin. I better call and confirm.

They do have showers if you camp. You will spend most of your time either riding or hanging around the campfire. It it rains we will hang out in the large cabin or under the balcany. We have a large room on Sat. night after the banquet for door prizes and some general BS.

There is also the Clearwater Motel. It is just a couple miles down the road. Their number is
888-935-2826

dboisclair said:
It looks like all the hotel rooms are now booked. I don't mind camping but if it rains it will really suck.  The large cabin is still available at $135/night but I can't justify the cost by myself. If anyone would like to split the cost and share the cabin I'm game. Just send me a PM and we can set it up
Cheers
Dale

Dale,
Call me off line please.
cogdave@telus.net
Dave Owen
B.C. AAD - Chase.

just regestered  :), now to find a room >:D, I'll be leaving from Pasco friday if any would like to tag, Dale and are teaming up and more are welcome to ride with us :)). Leaving Friday mornning, 8:00 to 10:00am.

I'm Craige (dirt_biker) 509-727-0441

The rooms at the L&C are filled. We aren't the only ones staying there so it is possible that others may cancel their reservations so get your name on the list and they will let you know if something becomes available. I would suggest you make reservations at the Clearwater Motel (888-935-2826) and cancel them if something becomes available. Make sure you find out the latest cancel date at Clearwater.

I'll be leaving from Summerland BC early on Frdiay and other than staying off the Interstates I don't have any route preferences. I can be in northern WA by 8:00. If anyone from BC or northern WA is leaving Friday morning and would like to meet up just let me know when and where to meet you and we can nail down the details.
Cheers
Dale   

I have to turn in the meal count the end of this week so make sure you are signed up for a meal at the banquet or you will have to eat off the menu.

The resort said all the rooms are booked, but to call them to sign up for a room and they will put you on a list if someone cancels. There is also the Clearwater Motel, which is about a mile down the road. The L&C also have camping.

I signed up at the last minute and have a room at one of my favorite spots, the "Konkolville Motel" in Orofino. That's just 20 miles west on US12. They still have rooms available and I highly recommend this lodging. It's off the highway about 3 miles and is VERY rider friendly. I am only going to be there Friday and Saturday nights with a lot of riding planned for Saturday before dinner. I'll call Bob R and see if he still needs a place to stay. I think my room has two beds.

See you all there!!

I promised you guys sunny weather and I never lie. The report is sunny and upper 70's to low 80's. There will be no sitting around drinking beer this year. You guys from the wet side can probably get rid of the wrinkles in your skin. :)

TimR said:
Thanks Jim. But I'm still packing rain gear and plan on drinking at least one beer.  ;)
+1, except I see more then one beer in my future.  :beerchug:

Old habits are hard to break for you wetsiders. You might need the raingear for leaving there and returning.

I think we can find a beer for you guys. I assume you can drink beer without rain.

I could still use a roommate. I have a double room at the L & C Resort. Shoot me a PM or email me by clicking on the envelope under my name.

I am starting to get pumped up for the first long ride of the year. I am leaving Thursday night to stay in the Dalles with a buddy then rolling to Kamiah Friday.  :great:

;) Happy Camper!
There was a cancellation at the L&C and I have a cabin. I had a room at another hotel so it wasn't a huge deal but now I don't have to worry about having a beer and walking back to the other hotel.
Looking forwrd to meeting you all, albeit without the requisite Concours

New member here, seven days into membership http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,43474.0.html 

This meet was suggested to me - so I'm going to ride up and see what this Connie-rally-meet-world is all about.
So if you see a blue-jacketed-smiling-someone climbing off a hopefully still unscratched C-14,
please come over and offer me advice (or something better!).

Have a room at the Clearwater Motel.
  ... till Friday. 

3 of us are leaving my place at 0930 on Friday to meet another member at Coulee City at 1030. We are Meeting at Big Wally's (Shell Station) on 2 just east of Coulee City. You would be more than welcome to join the crowd. TimR

Gumby said:
I could still use a roommate. I have a double room at the L & C Resort. Shoot me a PM or email me by clicking on the envelope under my name.

Bob Rainy was looking for someone to room with. I don't know if he found someone. You might give him a call.

I am starting to get pumped up for the first long ride of the year. I am leaving Thursday night to stay in the Dalles with a buddy then rolling to Kamiah Friday.  :great:

uhoh said:
New member here, seven days into membership http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,43474.0.html 

This meet was suggested to me - so I'm going to ride up and see what this Connie-rally-meet-world is all about.
So if you see a blue-jacketed-smiling-someone climbing off a hopefully still unscratched C-14,
please come over and offer me advice (or something better!).

Have a room at the Clearwater Motel.
  ... till Friday. 

There will be a table with registration. It will probably be in the yard of the big cabin across from the restaurant. You will get all the help you need there. (well within reason :))

There will probably be some beer drinking and story telling Fri. night. You'll get to meet everyone and arrange to ride with someone on Sat.