• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 COG Mid-Winter Track Day (Go-Kart Racing) Hudson Valley, NY Area

johnnylunchbox

NE AAD Hudson Valley
Dear COG Members and friends,

It’s that time of year again.  Time for the Mid-Winter COG track day.  No.  Not that kind of track day.  It’s the 4-wheeled go-kart variety at Grand Prix New York .  Come join us as we zip around 1 of 2 quarter mile indoor road courses here near the lower Hudson Valley.  Come and race against 2009 champion NEAAD  “Lightning” BBAR.  This has been great fun the last two years we’ve done it, and only expect it to get better as we get more and more COG members to dominate the track.

www.GPNY.com

When:      Saturday February 16, 2011  10:00 AM

Where:    Grand Prix New York
                333 North Bedford Road
                Mount Kisco, New York 10549
                PHONE: 914-241-3131

Bring your own Helmet as long as it has a full face and is DOT approved.

We typically do 2-4 races (2 consecutive followed by a 30 min. break, then 2 more).

Expect to spend about $100+ for the day including lunch.  (Less if you only do 2 races)  There may sometimes be unannounced specials on the day of the race that may save you a few dollars.

NOTE:  Since we cannot reserve a track, we always run the risk of arriving and finding the track reserved by someone else.  I will keep an eye on the website schedule which announce such things.  If this is the case, then we will just turn it into a meet and greet at the Blazer Pub.

Lunch will follow at The Blazer Pub http://www.theblazerpub.com/

The Blazer Pub
440 New York 22
North Salem (Purdys), NY 10560

All are welcome.  If you intend to go or have any questions contact me at Steveonline(a)optonline.net

Steve  COG #6463

Sign me up for a definite maybe.  Perhaps I'll even bring my son if the wife doesn't faint at the price! :))

I call GPNY to check in on the open driving schedule.  As of right now there is a track open starting at 11:15 on Saturday.  I will check in again later in the week.

As of right now we are on for some racing.  I wonder if Cap'n Bob will try to knock me out of the way again this year.

Bob - Sorry to hear you won't make it to racing...I really think I would've been faster than you this year.  Just kidding.  ;)

I just called again and track is still open on Saturday.  I will call again Friday night.

I might have to back out of this one, won't know until tomorrow morning.  Anyway I was only in it for lunch so I hope I can make it at least for lunch.

SUE Zookey said:
I call GPNY to check in on the open driving schedule.  As of right now there is a track open starting at 11:15 on Saturday.  I will check in again later in the week.
If we can't get on track till 11:15, I guess that means the scheduled 10 AM start time for this event is irrelevant.  Looks like we will be having a late lunch at the Blazer Pub if we do all four races.  In any case, with the delayed start I guess I can go back to bed for another hours sleep.
:a012:

Races still start at 11:15.  We will be there by 10:30 so we have extra time to suit up.  The racing itself takes no more than an hour so we should be at lunch around 1PM.

We are looking forward to it.

I'm registered but I did not receive any email updates.  Just a reminder to check the website event listing for last minute updates.  The event listing still shows a 10 AM start.

COG-528 said:
I'm registered but I did not receive any email updates.  Just a reminder to check the website event listing for last minute updates.  The event listing still shows a 10 AM start.

Because you registered on FEB 14 AFTER the update email was sent. 

Registering two days before the event is no excuse for not getting up to date information about the event.  Hey, I could have waited until this morning to register.  :nananana: 

IMG_5565-M.jpg

IMG_0796-M.jpg

IMG_5568-M.jpg

IMG_5580-M.jpg

IMG_5592-M.jpg

IMG_5601-M.jpg

IMG_5607-M.jpg

IMG_5608-M.jpg

IMG_5624-M.jpg

IMG_5640-M.jpg

IMG_5617-M.jpg

IMG_5618-M.jpg

IMG_5579-M.jpg

I just have to say - I won! I won! - I won one race.  I lost the second race and I lost two games of air hockey so I at least want a little bit of glory!  Of course, I was the first kart and the tires had already been warmed up by the track official but I won!

I had a great time today.  I finished second in both races.  After some pointers from the track record holder, I shaved 2-3 seconds off my lap time in the second race even with what I felt was a less powerful car.

Too bad that more people could not be there.  We would've had an all COG race since it was not crowded at all.

The famous blazer burger was as tasty as ever.  I hope we can do this again next year.

Nice photos Steve.  Here ar the first two videos ever shot with my new Hero3.  Not too bad for Vicki's first attempts.

http://youtu.be/uF-oT5-HSZc  http://youtu.be/yWINLKWVJEk

I was the last kart out on to the track to start the first race and took a long time to get up to speed.  I even got lapped by SUE Zookey.  :truce:  But then I made Red Bull F1Driver Mark Webber proud by developing a very wide kart and kept JohnnyLunchBox from lapping me too. 

Between races JohnnyLunchBox and I got some instruction from the track hot shoe.  Both of our times dropped significantly.  My average lap time dropped just under 3.5 seconds per lap.  :great:

Again in the second race, I was the last kart out on to the track to start.  But I eventually managed to pass both other drivers during the race and set the fast lap of the day for our group as I went on to win.
checkeredflag.gif

Of course my fast lap of 29.165 doesn't look too good when compared to the track hot shoe's time of 11.679.  :-\    I wonder how Cap'n Bob's time would compare?  Tune in next year and may be we will find out.  ;D

Mike - please tell Vicki she did a great job with the video.  Thanks.

Steve - I love the picture of me with the checkered flag and Mike crashing into me (even though I over-steered and slid in front of him)

Looks like you all had a great time, wish i could have made it I definately would have won  ;D

Great videos... next time we'll get Vicki out on the Bridge to capture more of the action.... especially on the elevation change & corkscrew.

It was tough to pick a few pics to post that captured the fun from the 88 shots I took.  I knew Sue would appreciate seeing her win captured in time.  I'm disappointed in the graininess of the shots, but expected it given that I was pushing the shots to compensate for the low light and speed of the carts. The long distances make it impossible to shoot with flash.

BTW - I just heard a commercial on the radio for a carting track in CT that just opened a location in Brookfield, CT
http://www.ontrackkarting.com

COG-528 said:
......  I even got lapped by SUE Zookey.  :truce:  ........I eventually managed to pass both other drivers during the race and set the fast lap of the day for our group ........
Of course my fast lap of 29.165 doesn't look too good when compared to the track hot shoe's time of 11.679.  :-\    I wonder how Cap'n Bob's time would compare?  Tune in next year and may be we will find out.  ;D

WATCHING THE VID seems like Sue had over 12 second lead on BOTH you and JLB in the first race......

good job SUE  :great: :great: :great: :nananana: :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

JLB needs some Beull power in that cart  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Well SZ was over a lap ahead of me in that first race and I was holding up JLB so she had to look good.  :)

COG-528 said:
Well SZ was over a lap ahead of me in that first race and I was holding up JLB so she had to look good.  :)

And JLB was very close to lapping you.

COG-528 said:
JLB would have lapped me if I had not been driving such a  W--I--D--E  Kart.
gokart.gif

From my vantage point he had the opportunity to nudge his way through at least twice and IMHO was driving waaaay to polite. Both of those times your wide kart should have earned you a blue flag. 

S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
gokart.gif

From my vantage point he had the opportunity to nudge his way through at least twice and IMHO was driving waaaay to polite. Both of those times your wide kart should have earned you a blue flag.
Well I guess the flag crew disagreed with you and just thought we were racing.

COG-528 said:
S Smith said:
COG-528 said:
gokart.gif

Well I guess the flag crew disagreed with you and just thought we were racing.

or maybe...
...they were not paying attention
...they let the old geezer have fun