• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2013 Volcano Ride Aug 3 update

Please register so can get a headcount for the morning meet at the cafe. The rear left seating area is set off and can seat 20, we usually have 10-20 attendees.
With a headcount I may be able to reserve the room.

Too Good Of a Ride to miss............

:1rij:

BUMP

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'  ... into the future  :c029:
Time to ride, ride into time.  :motonoises:
Will do  a pre-ride Tues to re-check restaurant and road conditions.
After the group ride up the west side of Mt Ste Helens and coming back down for lunch,  we will offer back-road riding on the west side of  I-5.

Rode the Sabre Wed to the Little Crane Cafe, good food again, great day for riding after the morning low clouds burnt off.
A train flys by just before departure

001-L.jpg

I'm going to have to bail on this ride. Need to finish staining the house before I head out for the Nationals in two weeks.  :(

danodemotoman said:
Rode the Sabre Wed to the Little Crane Cafe, good food again, great day for riding after the morning low clouds burnt off.
A train flys by just before departure

001-L.jpg

That's a beautiful bike. I really like 80's bikes. I had an '86 VFR700 for a year. LOVED the motor, did not love the posture.

Once again, it can't get any better!
Changing the route after 16 yrs to the west side of world famous Mt Ste Helens riding up to Johnston Ridge viewpoint and visitor center. I was reluctant but the results was another great ride.
The wx started out with low clouds and unusual low temp of 57 F riding to the meet at Vader in the Little Crane Cafe, food and company was good!
Had 4 bikes and 5 attendance at breakfast. With NWAD Charlie, Joe and Linda, Idaho Bob, and myself, Dan.
We rode up and around 3700 ft entered into some clouds known as fog at lower elevations. Soon out of the fog and at the end of road is Johnston Ridge viewpoint and visitor center (el 4300ft) and a fine exhibition hall featuring history of the mountain and of course the May 18 1980 explosion including video taken from a helo during eruption.
Ross joined us arriving at the viewpoint.
  Clouds obscurred the upper mountain but was  a pleasant day other wise with a ranger re creating the time of eruption and sequence of recorded individuals near the eruption one of which was scientist Johnston who was one of many that did not survive.
The air temp was rising even at this high el. No rain  on the ride.
A Scenic ride down and we arrived at Castle Rock for lunch. It was warm so we unlayered before eating. Idaho Bob continued on back to Lacy to wrench on a leaking brake caliper.
The ride continued north on backroads on the west side of I-5 in a delightful way making use of all points of the compass, LOL! Eventually entering Olympia around 5PM where riders split up to head home.
Thanks to all who decided to join the ride.
001-L.jpg

002-L.jpg

003-L.jpg

006-L.jpg

008-L.jpg

011-L.jpg

012-L.jpg

Thanks for the ride, Dan.  I need to make sure I get the tracks out of my GPS.  You took us up and down some great roads, and when it was done I honestly thought the route was every bit as good as the old one.  Well done!
  For those who thought about coming and didn't, all I can say is you missed out on a great ride.