• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2014 Ed's Last Resort Rally - May 16th to 18th - Surrency, GA

Ed's Last Resort Rally, much like every other points rally, is part scavenger hunt, part trivia quiz, part poker run, and part marathon, all done on a motorcycle.  The goal is to have the most points at the end of the event.  Points are acquired by visiting bonus locations and properly satisfying their requirements.  Every bonus location gets an assigned point value; complete the requirements, get the points; Sounds easy, eh?

Bonus Locations and their assigned points values are determined by the Rallymasters; who then relay this information to the riders.  Rallymasters often have a “theme” or some underlying connection among all of the bonus locations. Bonus locations are sometimes selected because they are sentimental like the grave of a friend or relative, or purposeful like making a purchase from a rally sponsor.  Other times, the location is selected because of where it is: a breathtaking overlook; down a long twisty section of mountain road; or a crowded beachfront boardwalk.

Not all bonus locations are created equally and it would be considered unusual if they all had the same value.  A location’s point assignment is based upon any one of several factors.  Some of the variables that play into a bonus’ value could include its proximity to other bonii, condition/type of road access, and “ease of acquisition”.  As you will find out by reading various rally veterans’ ride reports, Rallymasters are not “normal” by any stretch; so be prepared for twists and turns along the way.

Ed's Last Resort Rally is run by volunteers; the rally is staffed by volunteers. Putting a rally together requires countless hours of preparation, thousands of miles logged and numerous contacts with staff from other rallies.  The Rallymasters do this, not for glory or monetary reward, they do it because they want riders to have a good time, visit places they might not otherwise ride to and participate in the camaraderie of fellow motorcyclists.  Our wives believe it might be a sign of mental illness.

At the beginning of a rally every rider will get a list of bonus locations.  This list will include point values, bonus requirements, GPS/directions/address, what the rider is actually looking for (a statue, plaque, business, etc) and what time it is available.  Rallymasters may include a brief story of significance of the bonus location.  Your job is to construct a route that gets from the start location to the endpoint, within the allotted time while attaining as many points as possible.  A rider must also allow time for sleep, fuel, meals, traffic, twisty roads, etc.

Riders are not expected nor compelled to obtain every bonus location.  To paraphrase the Iron Butt Rally’s Bonus List quote- “treat this list like a restaurant menu; trying to eat everything will make you sick and possibly die.”  A rally is different from a true scavenger hunt in one important way - Riders are expected to actually ride to the bonus location and satisfy the requirements. This is discussed in further detail in the rules.

Riders try to balance the available time with the number of miles they can cover against the potential points available to them. The top finishing riders will try to maximize their points per mile and points per minute ratios.

Once the rider arrives at the end of the rally, they gather and organize all of their rally material, and prepare for scoring. The scoring team acts as a reviewer and certifies that the rider did indeed satisfy the requirements of each bonus location they visited. The scoring team individually reviews every rider’s submission and the results are then tabulated. At the end of it all, whichever rider attains the most points is the winner- that’s how it works in a nutshell.

I was looking at this one. I have been running the Big Money Rally as an excuse to ride. I hate to admit it, but I kinda like the tempo of baggin bonuses.

Is this a camping event?

Ah, ok. I see it now on the event listing. Hhmm...

This one tends to be pretty fast tempo.  Last year was county courthouses.  I hit over 30 bonus locations in 12 hrs.  Campsites are available, but a majority stay in town at the hotels.  But its good food, good people, and good fun. 

Miles

Do you camp Miles, or do the hotels?

I have been cutting my teeth on the Big Money Rally, so I have a pretty good idea on how the process flows, just have not done a one day event with the high tempo. But then again, I am running a 500 mile loop tomorrow to bag some more bonuses to boost my point level. I guess I am in the early stages of addiction.  ;)

If my schedule works out, which I will know here shortly, I will be in for this one.

Randy

I stay onsite, but in the cabin bunkroom which is full already.  There is a pavillion onsite with power, lighting, and picnic tables to do your route planning.  I'd say there are about 10 people that camp most years.  There are only 2 showers in the cabin so plan accordingly.  This rally can go either way.  2011 I did 700 miles and 7 or 8 stops.  2013 I did 30+ stops and 590 miles.  Its all in your route planning. 

Miles

I did this 2 years ago, rode alone and had a blast.  covered 560 miles and missed rookie by just a few points.  I camped on site and had a ball.

I'm in. Had to squeeze a previously planned work event on Friday, but a fast slab run and I'll be there for soup.

Cheers,
Randy

Awesome.  I will be coming in late, as I have to work all day.  Are you camping or staying in a hotel? 

Miles

I'll be camping. Have to work Friday too, but I sqeezed it a bit to fit in the 300 miles before package handout.

Should be fun.

I enjoyed reading your Ride Reports from previous years.

Cheers,
Randy

Hey Miles,

Funny you ask as I was looking at Rally Master at lunch today. Big Texas Rally looks interesting. The bug has bitten. Considering the challenges I had on my first one, the next one might actually be easy...or maybe a little easier.  ;)

Despite the challenges I encountered, I had a good time and will be back next year. I do wish I could have gone through the bonus scoring for the experience.

Randy