• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2015 Bun Cooler Photos & Tales

red fox

While at Bun Cooler I got 3 requests to start a separate thread for 2015 tales & photos, like last year's thread.
Everybody can post up in this thread.   
It's not just my stuff. 

Tales / photos:
- on the way there
- at the Bun Cooler event
- on the way back.

Shoot, even memories, tall tales and altered photos if you want ...

EDIT:  "Bun Cooler" was the Fri / Sat / Sun after Memorial Day in Kamiah, Idaho - located here
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kamiah,+ID+83536/@47.0700658,-118.6461498,7z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x54a085cbeb8794eb:0xf7e78ab9a6a4260f

C14 on way to bun cooler.  Different scenery for sure.
P1090734_zpsr8anziwb.jpg

met up with roomie on way to Bun Cooler
P1090736_zps7yw9aaxa.jpg

Bun Cooler location, Kamiah, is on the Clearwater River, Idaho
P1090788_zpsqomne7qt.jpg

... these new symbols
P1090778_zpsre7ilqmh.jpg

pondering the next day's rally ...
P1090737_zpsjonil53b.jpg

few of us on Saturday's ride.
P1090777_zps28dg3yh0.jpg

let's see: everybody's happy for Saturday lunch except for Barry (right), who had the not-yet-maxed-out credit card.
P1090767_zps5yfryxrl.jpg

Having identified a very fresh leak/spill signature (next to left leg)
... inspect the usual subjects (oil drain plug and sump)
P1090773_zpsgrm1kbxz.jpg

Glena at the awards banquet (no flash, so blurry)
P1090786_zpsp3st5r2j.jpg

he with small appetites shall not challenge TimR to any eating contest.  This is only his lunch on the ride!
P1090769_zpswk0t5qwd.jpg

the unusual suspects on a lightly traveled road
P1090765_zpsc8hwvfsd.jpg

hhmmn
P1090760_zpsqzm5cnq8.jpg

enough for tonight.

Reference my lunch photo on reply number four....It was a Ruben/fries with a bowl of Bean and Ham soup. For an additional $1.25 with the Ruben I was expecting a much smaller bowl. Not a 2gallon tank.And for additional information, I surrendered and left a lot of soup/fries. It was good but way too much.  Should have been a before and after photo.. :mad:

I missed it again this year.  :'(

Hopefully I can fit this one in next year.

Nice pics.  :great:

Gumby said:
I missed it again this year.  :'(

Hopefully I can fit this one in next year.

Nice pics.  :great:
Me and the Counterweight are in for '16  :great: :beerchug: :)

Thanks Mark for the warning. No bikes in the river this year either.  ;)

Since '16 will be the 25Th continuous year for the Bun Cooler, everyone is looking and trying to think of a good idea or ideas to make '16 the best yet.

TimR said:
Thanks Mark for the warning. No bikes in the river this year either.  ;)

Since '16 will be the 25Th continuous year for the Bun Cooler, everyone is looking and trying to think of a good idea or ideas to make '16 the best yet.
Ya just got it! I'll be there  :)) :)) :)) :))

and a couple more photographs.  I saw other people taking photos; hope not bashful about sharing them!

Is this Fred?  can't ID this rider - anybody? 
We ran upstream along the river on right, nice - so nice. 
A short post-rain period here; sun follows.
fcc14394-a16b-4368-b8cd-67a1113f15f2_zpst65sumkg.jpg

Nice weather gods: rain at night, but sun and mid-summer temps during the day.  Whee.
Here the late night bonfire group has moved under shelter, avoiding the thunderstorm ...
P1090787_zpsotjdzohe.jpg

All along the river we saw fly-fisher men and women going for the steelhead or salmon run (I forget which).
With record low snowpack the flows were at moderate levels, ideal for flyfishing apparently ...

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
You don't go away hungry when you eat at the Elk City Cafe.

Thanks for the link and pictures.

Agree, another rider and I shared a single BLT and fries basket - and both of us were full.

The rally's longest distance participant was from Wisconsin - with Loveland, Colorado second.

Also, organizer Jim Sherman provided local day riding route handouts:
5 suggested routes that included a page of description and a map each. 
Helpful, thanks.

Want to say thanks to Gary, the Flints and the Shermans for organizing this event.

Was my first COG rally and first motorcycle event of any kind, first tour with five other bikers and it was a fun and memorable experience.

Nice to meet everybody, and it was definitely fun trying to keep up with Island Bob and four others as we rode on the neatest roads through some of the prettiest scenery I've ever seen.  Went up to Elk City and back, then eastward and up Winchester Grade (and I'm thankful we didn't go DOWN Winchester Grade!)

And, personally, it improved my riding skills immensely.

Thanks again!

Not bashful .... returned Monday evening and during the return trip decided the front tire was not going to make the trip to Cortez so ordered up a new skin
looks like about 900 pictures to go thru so might take a day or two but I did find this  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Bill
P.S. This was not my doings so don't shoot the messenger  :)   

TLR said:
Want to say thanks to Gary, the Flints and the Shermans for organizing this event.

Was my first COG rally and first motorcycle event of any kind, first tour with five other bikers and it was a fun and memorable experience.

Nice to meet everybody, and it was definitely fun trying to keep up with Island Bob and four others as we rode on the neatest roads through some of the prettiest scenery I've ever seen.  Went up to Elk City and back, then eastward and up Winchester Grade (and I'm thankful we didn't go DOWN Winchester Grade!)

And, personally, it improved my riding skills immensely.

Thanks again!

Hope you can make more rallys!  Nice meeting you and keep up those flying lessons.  :beerchug:

This is almost ironic. Officer Wiggins, the state patrolman that gave so many tickets to Bun Cooler participants, died during the Bun Cooler. His obit was in the paper today.

Wow.

Patrolman Stanton Jay Wiggins obit:

"A kind and generous man, Stan was always willing to help others in their time of need. He loved and cared for animals, was passionate about muscle cars and collecting antique firearms. He was a man of unbreakable faith. He was a loving and devoted father, and cherished spending time with his grandchildren."

Obit said he retired in 2009.  Could this be the same guy?

Weird. At a Bun Cooler a few years ago a waitress at Lochsa Lodge told several of us that Wiggins had passed away. Maybe another Wiggins? Or she was just a bit premature?

She probably was referring to he retired and wasn't there anymore. The new guy makes Wiggins look pretty good. I know some people that got a ticket for crossing the hwy with their ATV.

Rode with Nancy and Jeff from W WA to the Thurs get together at Jim/Glena home. BBQ thurs eve and brekie Fri morn before the Rattlesnake ride to Enterprise and back and then to Kamiah to camp for me pulling the leisure-Lite popup tent trailer.

Dan,

That last picture sure takes me back...I grew up in Lewiston...and, in high school, I dated one of the Boggan daughters...and, yes, they lived there...and, yes again, the rides back to the bottom of the grade in Asotin were memorable on my H-1...seems like 23 minutes was my record...IIRC

Robert and Christine, here at the Elk City Saloon and Cafe, were first time fun participants at the Bun Cooler. 
P1090766_zps5aw3co2n.jpg

Hhmmm, if I recall correctly from last September's regional meet in Libby, Robert,
you said that you'd been picked up in a bar.  Is this what you meant? ... lucky guy! 

Look close at these combined risers on GSUN's bike - nice!
P1090757_zpsln47c47f.jpg

The local ethanol free station (Dale's) 3 miles upriver from the resort was popular.
P1090758_zps0a42uxuz.jpg

later we would find that the Sinclair pumps adjacent to the grocery store also delivered ethanol-free.

3 bikes on the Pierce Loop ride.  WingCon lead TimR and Red Fox on this route
'Twas the first time for us 2, and my first time ever in remote Pierce - thanks.
P1090749_zps9i7u2noc.jpg

<This is about the end of my photos>

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
She probably was referring to he retired and wasn't there anymore. The new guy makes Wiggins look pretty good. I know some people that got a ticket for crossing the hwy with their ATV.

Could well be, though she told me, Darrell, and Noel that he had died. I imagine she was misinformed. Either way, it's sad that he's no longer on the planet, pain in the ass though he might have been.

Lest we forget...
The BBQ Thurs eve and and breakfast Fri morn at Jim and Glena's was so good!
Thank you both tho we know who is the greatest cook is, right Glena!

^^^ Nice job Bill
I've never put photos together with music on YouTube,
so appreciate yours all the more.  ...  :sign0098:
Cecil

Here are a few. First one is on the way to the BC. The Grand Coolie Dam.

Bun%20Cooler%202015%20001_zpss7tgqusj.jpg

Full pic without the bike  ;D

Bun%20Cooler%202015%20003_zpschae0rgr.jpg

Rally central

BC%202015%204_zpszekrfpck.jpg

On the Saturday ride - Dworshak Dam

Bun%20Cooler%202015%20013_zpslwsztffa.jpg

Chuck Lawrence and Charlie Gary on Saturday

Bun%20Cooler%202015%20009_zpsaukdorev.jpg

The view from on top

Bun%20Cooler%202015%20014_zpsusr2bsb3.jpg

Great time! Looking forward to the 25th next year!

Gumby said:
I just booked my room for 2016.  :whoo:

Can you or somebody post the 2016 dates and link to book hotel?  ???

I think I'll go ahead and book mine as well, never been to this event but have wanted to, with the Nat being in GA next year and I can't make that I'm looking to hit some more local rally's in 2016!  :beerchug:

Lewis & Clark Resort in Kamiah, ID  (208)935-2556

May 20th - 22nd. It's on the NW COG calendar already Geesh  :loco:  :beerchug:

I booked a room, but I may change it to a RV spot and pull the trailer over.

Get your room booked but registration is not open yet. I've booked my room for this great event.

ZG, I think the BC might just become a favorite.

TimR said:
Get your room booked but registration is not open yet. I've booked my room for this great event.

ZG, I think the BC might just become a favorite.

Cool, sounds like fun Tim!  :beerchug: