• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2016 National Rally Camping Info/Helen, GA

Just show up at Yonah Mountain Campground and we'll take care of you.
NO ONE will be turned away from camping.
Just drive right to the COG area, going by the campground office, and take your first right. You won't be able to miss us. See me at site #1 please ( truck camper )

IronButtAl said:
Just drive right to the COG area, going by the campground office, and take your first right. You won't be able to miss us. See me at site #1 please ( truck camper )

I'll hold you too it, just me and a tent....and I'm guessing a bottle of Fireball would be in order.

IronButtAl said:

My Grey Goose will be looking for a shady place. :beerchug:
  :1rij: :06: :06:

ghostrider990 said:
Hey Guys --

I was planning to attend, but somehting came-up for work, and had to abort.

However -- I might be able to drive down to Helen on Friday the 24th.

Are people planning on riding / staying through the weekend??  Or is everyone mostly outta there on Fri / Sat.??

THanks for the help!

gr

Some of us will be there thru the weekend. I know I'm there into Sunday.

handyman said:
Hey Guys --

I was planning to attend, but somehting came-up for work, and had to abort.

However -- I might be able to drive down to Helen on Friday the 24th.

Are people planning on riding / staying through the weekend??  Or is everyone mostly outta there on Fri / Sat.??

THanks for the help!

Some of us will be there thru the weekend. I know I'm there into Sunday.

gr

We will milk it to the last drop. :rotflmao: :beerchug: :rotflmao:
Sunday is a good day to ride home. ;)

What Roman said!!!

I'll be around on saturday, as long as we have campsites sat. night.

Roman, maybe I'll follow you guys back to south fla. on sunday if you don't mind. :)

Shawn said:
What Roman said!!!

I'll be around on saturday, as long as we have campsites sat. night.

Roman, maybe I'll follow you guys back to south fla. on sunday if you don't mind. :)

Yes Shawn. Let's ride together.  :great:
Saturday night is always reserved for a nice campfire and a good vodka.  :103:
Sunday will be a slow packing and a very (very, very) leisure ride all the way to Florida state line.  :41:
Georgia is the last place I would go above the speed limit. :mad:
I am not in the hurry at all. ;) ;) ;)

Fais said:
It's okay Roman - they allow speeding in GA.

It's just very expensive :rotflmao:

:beerchug:

Tell me about it. :-\
In the past 35 years I contributed to the state of Georgia just as much or more  :rotflmao: as you did in one day. :mad:

Zarticus said:
Does anyone know if the campground rents coolers ?

I am bringing extra coolers for the campground, you'll just need to add a bag or so to the ice filling. So unless you REALLY need your own cooler, don't sweat it.

Randy

handyman said:
Zarticus said:
Does anyone know if the campground rents coolers ?

I am bringing extra coolers for the campground, you'll just need to add a bag or so to the ice filling. So unless you REALLY need your own cooler, don't sweat it.

Randy
:beerchug:

Hey all....

I can't seem to find information on how to (or if I can) attend the Rally for one or two days. Cost, registration, etc. Can anyone steer me to the right page/person who has this info. I'll be passing through the area on my C14 and really really really want to stay for at least a day or so.

Thanks in advance all.

Scott Paladini

stpenroute said:
Hey all....

I can't seem to find information on how to (or if I can) attend the Rally for one or two days. Cost, registration, etc. Can anyone steer me to the right page/person who has this info. I'll be passing through the area on my C14 and really really really want to stay for at least a day or so.

Thanks in advance all.

Scott Paladini
Clicking on the banner at the top of the page titled " 2016 National Rally" will get you there

Hi Scott, I have never been to a COG Nat. rally, but from what I hear, this will be a decision you won't regret...in fact...you might blow off whatever other riding plans you have and stay all week. :))

Sgt Mac said:
IronButtAl said:

I'll hold you too it, just me and a tent....and I'm guessing a bottle of Fireball would be in order.

Well, I'm registered and I need a day off so I cannot wait.

Good deal Sgt Mac!

Im considering a last minute take/don't take....do any of you campers pack a small tent fan...either AC or rechargeable?

IBAl's words keep ringing in my ear about the importance of a good night's sleep!!

Seems a fan would serve several purposes and make sense to find room for on the bike...I know they make some mini-models...

- Keep me cooler, first and foremost
- Help drown out snoring from other tents
- Help remove odors from the tent, in the event I have a gaseous dinner. :))

Any suggestions? 

Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Im considering a last minute take/don't take....do any of you campers pack a small tent fan...either AC or rechargeable?

IBAl's words keep ringing in my ear about the importance of a good night's sleep!!

Seems a fan would serve several purposes and make sense to find room for on the bike...I know they make some mini-models...

Any suggestions?

This is the kind of fan I'm thinking about...I know all campgrounds don't have tent electric, but it will serve it's purpose in Helen.

http://www.vornado.com/circulators/Flippi-V6

I'm especially looking forward to this year's rally and will be camping the entire time. I'm counting on you to help me get set up with a site, Al, since this is sort of last minute and all.  :great:

Geez, look who's turning into a tent camper. There will be the best campers in all of COG right next to you to get you through this easy. You'll be part of a special fraternity now... moto campers ;)

Al, what time are you going to be at the campground on Saturday? I'm bringing you something.  ;)

Shawn said:
Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Any suggestions?

This is the kind of fan I'm thinking about...I know all campgrounds don't have tent electric, but it will serve it's purpose in Helen.

As stated, not sure if the tent sites have electric, if there is an available power source, Walmart is not to far away.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Turbo-Force-Air-Circulator-Fan-HT-900-WMT/16503230

Sgt Mac said:
Shawn said:
Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Any suggestions?

As stated, not sure if the tent sites have electric, if there is an available power source, Walmart is not to far away.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-Turbo-Force-Air-Circulator-Fan-HT-900-WMT/16503230

They do have electric so I'm making sure to bring an extension cord.  I had no idea how far the nearest home store is....so in that case I'll buy one up there and donate it to Yonah.

Shawn said:
Sgt Mac said:
Shawn said:
Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Any suggestions?

They do have electric so I'm making sure to bring an extension cord.  I had no idea how far the nearest home store is....so in that case I'll buy one up there and donate it to Yonah.

Looks like I'm bringing a multi-outlet outdoor extension and a fan  :1rij:

Shawn said:
Sgt Mac said:
Shawn said:
Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Any suggestions?

No camping trip is complete without a trip to Wal Mart. ;D  Nearest one is in Cleveland about 10 miles from the campground, south of town on 129.

ron203 said:
Shawn said:
Sgt Mac said:
Shawn said:
Shawn said:
Good deal Sgt Mac!

Thanks Ron, that may be some of the best info I get all week....I didn't know there was one that close.

On another thread: i hope you didn't take offense to my comments about homies/homeboys, there was certainly none intended.  :beerchug:

Any suggestions?

No camping trip is complete without a trip to Wal Mart. ;D  Nearest one is in Cleveland about 10 miles from the campground, south of town on 129.

ron203 said:
Al, what time are you going to be at the campground on Saturday? I'm bringing you something.  ;)
Should be in around 5:00pm. It's a ten hour ride up in the truck/camper. Thanks in advance ( I think ).

Knowing the area well, and doing some historical research;
Temps at night will generally be in the upper 50's to mid 60's. This shouldn't pose a problem for anyone hoping to be comfortable at night for sleeping weather. It will be warm during the day, but delightfully so to those of us living anywhere south of Atlanta. I think the most important piece of equipment at night will be your ear plugs. Buy some foam ones if you don't normally use something while riding. WARNING* you SHOULD be wearing ear protection while riding. An adult beverage or 10 will help you get a good nights sleep. C U soon all.

IronButtAl said:
ron203 said:
Should be in around 5:00pm. It's a ten hour ride up in the truck/camper. Thanks in advance ( I think ).

If you don't like it (or maybe if you do) you can burn it.  ;D

Just verified AGAIN that I have a space. Had to make sure. I have a space with electricity waiting. If you need room, let me know. Yoda and I should be there early Sunday morning for sign in.

As I spent our (wifey and I)  last full day in Key West, bar hoppin' our way from the Zero Mile Marker to the Schooner's Wharf, I realized
that this was the perfect way to prepare myself for a week long COG Camping 'hoo hah'... admittedly, lots less bikini clad cuties, but
there'll be lots more fun, riding great roads and camaraderie with fellow COGgers.  What a great 2 week vacation!  Takin' the ride North
with Larry Buck at the crack o' dark Sunday AM.  Can't wait to meet Larry, ride, and see everyone!

Phil,
It gets better. Forecast for Helen this coming week looks like there will be LOTS of Miles 'N Smiles on your road ahead:

Attachments

• Helen.JPG
    Helen.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 102
Volcantour said:
Phil,
It gets better. Forecast for Helen this coming week looks like there will be LOTS of Miles 'N Smiles on your road ahead:

Sweeeeet!!!!!! Tasty weather forecast for sure  :great: !!!!!

Volcantour said:
Phil,

that weather looks as near to perfect as we could hope.  Jim Miller must not have made it.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Rock and I stopped by the campground today to run an errand and had an interesting conversation with one of  the campground guys down by the firepit.

He said earlier this morning before we arrive, that the campground staff had just been discussing the COG campfire arrangements and one of the ladies working there said something like, "Sound like it will probably be a bunch of drunken guys dancing naked around the campfire with beer bottles in their hands..." obviously said with great disdain (or maybe anticipation?) and with a severely curled lip.

I said, "Oh no, they wear breech cloths, but I think the g-strings are optional."  :rotflmao: The guy laughed and left.

So, I was thinking.. (dangerous eh?) If anyone else up there asks me or mentions that sort of thing, I'm going to say the dancing is a "Closing ceremony thing and only takes place after the banquet on Thursday, not the other nights." That'll give them something to think about all week.

Also, that each region of the country has it's own color and style of breech cloth and some just use their riding do rag freestyle instead. :-\ There's a regional dance number and that night is when the camping responsibility and talking stick is passed to the next year's rally crew.  Feel free to embellish.

See y'all tomorrow.  :beerchug:

I will be leaving at 7:00 am Monday  and be there around 1 or 2 pm. I will be the cool guy second only to Sport Rider!

National attendees are cool  :great:  :great:  :great:
                                                                              Steve Sill

CAMPING at the Nationals was AWESOME!!!  Thanks to Al Norcross and his team for putting the
camping amenities together, making everone feel welcome, providing a "proper" camp fire in the evenings,
providing much needed coffee each morning, even going so far as to offer up Quiche (yeah that's right) and
Omelette wraps each morning, cooked by none other than the guy that was found everywhere.... (Chez) FAIS!! 

Thanks Fais!! Again... and again.

JR thanks for having that 'roaring' fire going every night.

Lastly, a special thanks to ALL the campers for making the campground THE place to be for "Après-Rally" festivities!!!

Got out on the road on Sunday morning at 9:00, and all that was left was JR still packing up. Remarkable how clean the area was, and the owner and Missy remarked at how good the group was considering the number of campers. I told her early on what a good group we had, and everyone lived up to that reputation.
We had campers from other COG areas, but the majority were from the SE area, where we set the standard for fun and experienced camping. I can't imagine not being with all of you and stuck in a hotel somewhere.
We burned better than three cords of wood, ate a lot of good food cooked by Fais, had some late nights around the fire, and enjoyed visits from the Helen hotel crowd.
Thanks everyone, for all the fun, and being such a good group to be with.
The 2017 National Rally has already asked me to be the 'camp guy' again. There was no hesitation with my answer. We will all be together again next year in MO.

I got out shortly after. Gathered up a few scraps of trash. Lady came and took bag. She gave me a bag of ice for free!

I had to go to Funkstown MD to sign and return a letter from Veterans Court. Went to storage unit to put gas in truck. Decided to trim my kit down. Much as I liked the a/c, it's on a table here now. Screen room too. The big tote is now a small box. Etc.

I'm adding a tent hammock and fly for when I only stay a night, or want to arrive late and/or leave early. Etc.

If it was Norma, she was the one who said the campfire would be a bunch of drunk guys dancing naked around the fire with beer. Hope she didn't see too much of that, but she was nice.

JR-it was nice to finally meet you and it was great to have you meet me when I arrived.

Fais helped me park and unload when he didn't need to do so. Thanks Fais. 

Katie and I just had a good time talking and visiting around the campfire, too. Thanks all.

Then on Friday, I hitched up the rig and endured a grueling 45 minute drive home after breakfast in Cleveland at Glenda's.

But , I DID get to see Rev Ryder on his exit drive-by. COOL!

;D

See y'all soon.

Ron

Ron...stupid question...did I meet you at Yonah during the week...if not WHY NOT? What site were you at?

Darned if I know. Were you hitting the Fireball?  :rotflmao:

Seriously, I don't think so. Lots of people over there. I was camped way over on the far side about third RV spot up the hill-White & red toyhauler trailer, white F-250, red C-14,  next to some folks from Texas.

If you look at the drone video, I'm the dumb looking guy (no, the OTHER one) in the straw hat stumbling around the campfire looking for a chair.  Sorry I didn't find you, we'll catch at the RWTW!.  :beerchug:

IronButtAl said:
Got out on the road on Sunday morning at 9:00, and all that was left was JR still packing up. Remarkable how clean the area was, and the owner and Missy remarked at how good the group was considering the number of campers. I told her early on what a good group we had, and everyone lived up to that reputation.
We had campers from other COG areas, but the majority were from the SE area, where we set the standard for fun and experienced camping. I can't imagine not being with all of you and stuck in a hotel somewhere.
We burned better than three cords of wood, ate a lot of good food cooked by Fais, had some late nights around the fire, and enjoyed visits from the Helen hotel crowd.
Thanks everyone, for all the fun, and being such a good group to be with.
The 2017 National Rally has already asked me to be the 'camp guy' again. There was no hesitation with my answer. We will all be together again next year in MO.
I like to camp off the motorcycle. I need to reconsider that decision for staying at the rally central hotel :-[. Something tells me it was more fun at the campground. Stuck in a hotel could be as bad as stuck in a cage.  ::)