• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2017 Regional????

Wherever you have it, I'm going to try hard to attend. Depends on where I am across the country when it happens, lol.

Bear Lodge.... 8,300 feet altitude. Weeeeeeee.

I like it. It is a new area to explore and we can pick some interesting routes getting there. It is a long trip for the wet side people, but that is why we ride. We need to do it during the summer rather than fall.

At 8300 ft summer looks better wx wise tho I am know to prefer early Sept. (hunt season) but wreckallcreation traffic should not be a major factor there in summer.
Had a meet there once and the next year a regional, years ago.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I like it. It is a new area to explore and we can pick some interesting routes getting there. It is a long trip for the wet side people, but that is why we ride. We need to do it during the summer rather than fall.

The distance might be a factor for me, I just started a new job and had to negotiate two weeks for the Nat's into getting hired.

I'm going to have to see how it goes over the next few months. I like that you started this thread early Dan. :great:

Gumby said:
The distance might be a factor for me, I just started a new job and had to negotiate two weeks for the Nat's into getting hired.

I'm going to have to see how it goes over the next few months. I like that you started this thread early Dan. :great:

You can count on Dan in a time like this.  The one time he offered to help and I didn't take him up on it I regretted seeing the result.  I also vote for summer so those whose lives are ruled by school schedules can also take part.  Just not between July 3rd and July 23rd.  I'll be in Japan.

This is the 20th year of the (August) Volcano Ride.
I can have that the first weekend and we can have the regional the third weekend of August? Trying to avoid back to back w/e's.
After selecting the month:
Now where?
East south east central WA has some good riding around Pullman I have heard.
Eastern OR?

Old Man on a Connie said:
Well I guess that national in Hawaii I was working on is out the window  :) :beerchug:

Might be hard to float a Connie.  :'( I could work on Twisp or Republic again if you guys want. Keep in mind it will be warm on the east side in August. Could do Wenatchee again too for that matter.

Well, looks like my wife has decided we're not going to Japan this summer so I think I'll do what I can to make an appearance in MO.  Closer to Lincoln, NE, which is where I should go for a new Connie.  Got to finish paying for the old one first, though.

Some suggestions for places to consider for the regional:

Bend, OR - Close to Crater Lake, Klamath Falls, and lots of good roads for MC riding.  It's not far from CA and we might get some people from the SW region to travel north for the event.

Hailey, ID - Close to Sun Valley, Stanley, Craters of the Moon, with good roads to explore in this area.

Pullman, WA or Moscow ID - These are college towns which are pretty quiet during the summer, so lodging is easy to find and inexpensive.  Close to Spokane, Lewiston, and Coeur d'Alene for riding trips.

Cody, WY - Nearby to Yellowstone and great riding at Beartooth Pass & Chief Joseph highway.  Would be fairly busy and harder to get lodging during the summer.

This area keeps getting mentioned.

Pullman, WA or Moscow ID - These are college towns which are pretty quiet during the summer, so lodging is easy to find and inexpensive.  Close to Spokane, Lewiston, and Coeur d'Alene for riding trips.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Cody is an OG spot isn't it?

Cody during the summer is devoted to extracting as much cash from tourists as possible during the summer months.  We looked at it for the 2013 National and were unable to find lodging anywhere near the price C-10 riders will pay, and it would have made the rich 14 riders balk.  Sheridan would be nice for the Wyoming thing, but Pullman or Moscow are located in the Palouse Range of the Hoodoo Mountains.  If you don't mind loose gravel you can really expand your horizons.

Some of the best riding around is north eastern Washington, Colville WA. the price should be lower, it's not a tourist area

wasabi said:
Some of the best riding around is north eastern Washington, Colville WA. the price should be lower, it's not a tourist area
Colville.  Where Arby's = fine dining.  ;D 

Sorry, couldn't resist, I have 2 customers there.  And you're right, tourist area it is not.

danodemotoman said:
... we can have the regional the third weekend of August? Trying to avoid back to back w/e's.

Now where?
East south east central WA has some good riding around Pullman I have heard.
Eastern OR?

3rd weekend August sounds good to me. 
The past regional location in Libby MT was great and was easy distance for me to travel.
Also consider Missoula, MT; John Day or Baker City, OR; endorse TimR's mention of Republic, WA / Wenatchee, WA.

A. Republic would be great, but with past prevalence of forest fires up there, what happens to our hotel reservations
if the entire hotel is firemen filled for the month?  Are firemen going to be kicked out for us for only 2 or 3 nights, or
would our advance reservations be cancelled?  Somebody needs to check.  Admit with this heavy snow year there should be few fires!

B. Note on Aug 21, Monday mid-morning, will be a total eclipse of the sun - rare.
Eclipse will arc a ESE path roughly over John Day and Baker City, Oregon heading for SW Idaho and beyond. 

C.  No knowledge of places big enough for large group dinner - in any city.

D.  Thoughts only.  Good on danodemotoman to start this thread so early!

I like the idea of Colville. Appears to be some good roads available. AND there are more Restaurants than Arby's. Some even look interesting. Tim

Anybody know if Leavenworth, WA would be a good spot the third week of August? Looks like there are plenty of hotels around the little Bavarian town.

Leavenworth would be a nice place, however the expense of a motel (tourist trade) might throw a monkey wrench in the idea. Wenatchee or even East Wenatchee is not very far away from Leavenworth and I would think better motel prices could be had there. Next time I go to Wenatchee I can run over to Leavenworth and check motels if you  like. Another tourist spot could be Chelan. Just a thought.

Another place mentioned is Colville. I believe we have a member there.  Tim

TimR said:
Next time I go to Wenatchee I can run over to Leavenworth and check motels if you  like.
Thanks Tim that would be great, and I think you are correct Wenatchee would probably be cheaper and then we could make Leavenworth one of the ride routes.

Based on COG demographics alone it makes more sense to have a Regional in that area of Washington. This year this map shows forum subscribers as well.

I recall a regional in Wenatchee some 5? yrs ago. Not memorable to
me. Altho riding thru the scablands is a treat looking at massive historic erosion.
It would be good to pick a new location.

Well Dan If Wenatchee won't work, we do or did have a member, L. Hartman who lives in Colville. I haven't seem him online for awhile. Might have to give him a call or sumthin.....

Wenatchee was the location of the first regional I was responsible for.  That's when Dave Linden camped on the side of Hwy 2.

Good idea Tim.
Give L Hartman a call.

TimR said:
Well Dan If Wenatchee won't work, we do or did have a member, L. Hartman who lives in Colville. I haven't seem him online for awhile. Might have to give him a call or sumthin.....

Wenatchee would be a good location for the Regional.  There's an abundance of great riding roads in that area including:
- Hwy 2 east through Waterville, Coulee City, & 155 to Coulee Dam
- Hwy 97 to Pateros and 153 to Winthrop
- Hwy 28 to Quincy, 17 to Coulee City, & 155 to Coulee Dam
- Hwy 2 west to Leavenworth, and 97 to Ellensburg

Wenatchee is quite warm in July & August, but before/after then would be pleasant.

OK I have not seen L. Hartman come on line here so a phone call is now in order. Steve, no matter when or if a regional is held on my side of the mountain, it will be hot for the people on your side of the mountain.  ;)

When people on your side of the mountain thinks the weather is great for a picnic, the people on my side of the mountain would still be putting their winter coats on in order to join the picnic. 

I must admit though I do love my Trane. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Tim

There is some good riding in just about any direction coming into Colville.  Arby's is shut down, but there are other establishments for dining.  There are hotels in town and they generally have room, unless there is an event going on.  Sorry for not being around.  Been busy and working on and enjoying another hobby (900 RZR).  My riding has been minimal this last year because I need some new skins and didn't get around to buying new ones.  This is something I will need to do before the snow breaks. 

Shoot me any questions that you may have about the area and I will try to answer them.

Loren

LHartman said:
Shoot me any questions that you may have about the area and I will try to answer them.

Loren

Never over-nighted in your town ... so, can you mention affordable Colville motel within walking distance of eatery and drinkery?

If it has camping close by, its possible for me. Though I can almost always find a place to camp after so much practice.  :rotflmao:

I like the idea of the Coleville area, it has a larger hotel close to downtown with eatery nearby. Republic is close enough for a day ride. Awesome riding roads northeast of there , lake Roosevelt , Ione , Metaline Falls and lots of 2 lane back roads. I've never been disappointed by the trip from Puget Sound area over the north cascades to that corner of the state.

Member Loren Hartman lives in Colville. I would be willing to help him but Colville for me is still a bit of a ride.

TimR said:
Thanks Dan. I also shot Loren an email.

If there's any hesitation on his part, ask for two things.  A place to eat, and a place to sleep.  Everything else will fall into place.

I suggested a Cogger worthy motel AKA cheap rooms, a place for B/F and dinner and a place for a banquet. Road maps would nice too.

Ride the ribbon is on Labor Day weekend. Maybe too close? How about in June? Or later in September?

Loren returned my PM.
Loren cannot commit as his summers are very busy but hopes he can attend.
I now asked about motel/restaurant recommend that will accommodate 20.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
TimR said:
Thanks Dan. I also shot Loren an email.

If there's any hesitation on his part, ask for two things.  A place to eat, and a place to sleep.  Everything else will fall into place.

Don't mean to Hi jack folks but just in case there may be interest. The UT elves are hard at work on a SW reg in early Sept around the Salt Lake City area. Mayhap another co reg? I didn't talk to Tom about it but the thought just struck me. Anywho, throwing it out there for your thought's. We may have half a dozen SW heathens coming up to raid the BC so I thought turn about would be fair play  ;) Running for cover now.

Rcvd this reply from Loren , Coleville WA:

Benny's Colville Inn, or the Comfort Inn are two of the nicer hotels.  There is another called the Selkirk Motel, but I personally wouldn't stay there.  Benny's would be my choice and they can handle large groups.

http://colvilleinn.com/
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=Benny%27s+Colville+Inn&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-005

As far as eating, everything is relatively close (within 1 mile).  You have Zips, McDonalds, Taco Time, Taco Bell, Westside Pizza, Rancho Chico (Very good), a Chinese Restaurant (Not too bad, but have had better), KFC, Subway, Tony's (Italian - Pretty good), and a couple other restaurants.  There is also a bar called the Acorn Saloon.  They actually have pretty good food.  It's a decent atmosphere.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more information.

Loren

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
what happened to Wyoming?

Wyoming is still here...  ;D

I can vouch for the the west side of the Big Horns going north from the Wind River Canyon thru Thermopolis, Wyoming - Gateway to Yellowstone Country.
There are many twisties leading to and through the Big Horns to Sheridan. Awesome country.

Problem is, very few riding loops. It is a long trip to see anything. I know, but very scenic.

However, it is very expensive during the summer months.
It's best to visit just before or after the herds of tourists.

My wife and I avoid the area like the plague during summer. We go there during the winter months and take advantage of the half rates.
All kinds of museums, hot springs, and wicked looking terrain. Many inexpensive camp grounds.

During the summer months, I go to the Big Horns to do most of my hang gliding overlooking Dayton near Sheridan.

Charlie_Gary_AAD said:
Gumby said:
If Coleville is the place now to your second question.

danodemotoman said:
Who is interested in being the RALLY MASTER?

Bruce and I will step up  :-[ as the Rally Masters  :motonoises: and welcome volunteers to assist.  Bruce is very familiar with the area. 

>:D Let's do this!!

Whoo Hoo thats what I am talking about!!!  :great: :motonoises:
Thanks for stepping up.
Motel, restaurant choice and ride maps. All else is just riding and maybe some evening bench racing with personal 'motorcycle anecdotes'

Bruce and I will step up  :-[ as the Rally Masters  :motonoises: and welcome volunteers to assist.  Bruce is very familiar with the area. 

[/quote]

Tigger said:
Gumby said:
If Coleville is the place now to your second question.
Who is interested in being the RALLY MASTER?

1. Coleville looks to be the destination
    2. Bruce and Kari, you guys rock! I volunteer to assist.
    3. (Proposed Dates): August 18-20?

Dates are negotiable, but let's try to get this nailed down and put on the calendar.

Tigger said:

Aug 18-20? Too close to the eclipse to get  a motel room? Even tho WA is not on the path.  I called Benny's a few days ago and no avail.

Gumby said:
    1. Coleville looks to be the destination
    2. Bruce and Kari, you guys rock! I volunteer to assist.
    3. (Proposed Dates): August 18-20?

Dates are negotiable, but let's try to get this nailed down and put on the calendar.

Tigger said:

danodemotoman said:
Aug 18-20? Too close to the eclipse to get  a motel room? Even tho WA is not on the path.  I called Benny's a few days ago and no avail.

We are currently investigating accommodations possibilities, or lack thereof, for that weekend.... The fair in Colville starts Monday the 21st , so we may run into difficulties.  We are looking at maybe the Kettle Falls area, or may have to move to a different weekend.  We are putting our heads together tomorrow and will throw it out to everyone what we find out as soon as we can.

Thanks - Kari and Bruce

So Coleville WA will be location?

I have nothing scheduled for the Aug dates floated, above. Will camp my way over to it.

:motonoises: Whoo hoo the first bike trip is registered for the year and its only February. Thanks Bruce and Kari  for picking Colville and being rally masters.

arteh said:
:motonoises: Whoo hoo the first bike trip is registered for the year and its only February. Thanks Bruce and Kari  for picking Colville and being rally masters.

Bruce has wanted to do this as a Regional for a few years.  :great: :great: :great: :great: Glad it finally came to fruition!!!    >:D >:D  :motonoises:

Should be Fun Times!

After searching for camping only found one location near Colville.
It is in Colville at the fairgrounds.
Talked to Lori at the fairgrounds 509-684-2585 no problem with an rv or tent and tenting is on grass. No conflict with other events on the grounds tho some may come in Sun morn in preparation for the next weekend event.
Looks to be 3-4 blocks from the motel rally central.

Local map info
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/Colville.pdf
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/StevensCounty.pdf
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/eng_rms_little_pend_01_full.pdf

Local tour info
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/StevensTours.pdf

Registered at the rally central motel today.
Apparently all of our rooms are in the 'deluxe building,' so sounds good.

So I'll be there thursday, friday, saturday evenings - such a good riding area!  A day early.

Dan -- go ahead an register.  The cost is the same with or without a shirt..... just don't select a t-shirt size when you register.  See you in May!

If 10 people went to this rally I can guarantee none of the $120 collected is going into my pocket or anybody else's. This money will go back to COG members in the form of SWAG, door prizes, t-shirt, or possibly offset a dinner the AD is going to buy the group. Registering for an event is a way to help the hosts/AD plan for the event. Should I bring 4 rally gifts or do I need 25? If you plan on going to this event or any other please register. If you do not want the t-shirt give it to Goodwill and write it off on your taxes, or give it to me I will give you $12. That is cheap for a t-shirt these days.

In! Its Florida to Washington and will be a great ride.  :motonoises:

And I'm going to check the gearbox bolts for torque and dipsticks in all 3 cases (crank, gearbox, primary) every day because I don't want to wait on York PA to build me a new gear pack ever again.

Gypsy JR said:

And I'm going to check the gearbox bolts for torque and dipsticks in all 3 cases (crank, gearbox, primary) every day because I don't want to wait on York PA to build me a new gear pack ever again.

JR -- I have you registered for this one -- if something happens that you can't make it, let us know!  See you in August!  ;)

Tigger said:
Gypsy JR said:

JR -- I have you registered for this one -- if something happens that you can't make it, let us know!  See you in August!  ;)

Awesome, thanks!

That was never the (my) issue.

Gumby said:
If 10 people went to this rally I can guarantee none of the $120 collected is going into my pocket or anybody else's. This money will go back to COG members in the form of SWAG, door prizes, t-shirt, or possibly offset a dinner the AD is going to buy the group. Registering for an event is a way to help the hosts/AD plan for the event. Should I bring 4 rally gifts or do I need 25? If you plan on going to this event or any other please register. If you do not want the t-shirt give it to Goodwill and write it off on your taxes, or give it to me I will give you $12. That is cheap for a t-shirt these days.

You can't buy stickers, or door prizes, with free registration. Simple as that. And all attendees should contribute.

YMMV, but I've been to a hundred rally events where I paid a lot more than $12 and didn't win anything and still thought it was well worth the price of admission.  :beerchug:

Gypsy JR said:
You can't buy stickers, or door prizes, with free registration. Simple as that. And all attendees should contribute.

YMMV, but I've been to a hundred rally events where I paid a lot more than $12 and didn't win anything and still thought it was well worth the price of admission.  :beerchug:

Thank you Gypsy JR -- Well put!

My wife and I participated last year and just registered as we enjoyed this group. We found great riding in this area and great people. Looking forward to it!

Traditionally we don't have registration fees for nw rallys. Can I make it more clear than that?
T shirts have usually been an optional purchase. Door prizes ???? I personally shopped for at least half of them last year ? from the existing  NW coffers. Anybody notice?
Have a drawer full of T shirts. More than I can wear.
Just addressed the T shirt required with the current registration fee.
Don't need the lectures. Know the drill on organizing as have been rally master a few times. Organized other ride events prolly a hundred times, sometimes 12 times a year in early 2000's.
Discussion is fine.

Dan -- No need to get upset. 

As of about about 2012 NWCOG stopped collecting registration fees for whatever reason, however, in years prior - the Rally Fees were closer to $30 and up/COG members (2011 it was $30/$40 when it was held in Wenatchee).

I already told you that you didn't have to order a shirt when you registered if you didn't want another one, but if the $12 is still bothering you, Bruce and I will cover your registration fee.  I need your registration none the less, so let me know if you still are planning to be there and I will get you registered.

I did a research and the 2011 Rally in Wenatchee fee was $30-40 like Tigger said.
I am stubborn about the T shirt thing!

Well, I have motorcycle related t-shirts dating to the 70s, and still wear them. I threw away a whole bunch from my fat phase, because they became tents when I lost all the weight.

But I want one of these t-shirts. How's the saying go, I rode all this way and all I got was a t-shirt? Ok with me!  :rotflmao:

I have a ton of t-shirts also. This morning I put on one from the COG Nationals in Centralia in about 2004. The collar is frayed and it is stretched out. I guess I need to start throwing some out.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
I have a ton of t-shirts also. This morning I put on one from the COG Nationals in Centralia in about 2004. The collar is frayed and it is stretched out. I guess I need to start throwing some out.

Worn with fond memories I am sure!

Tigger, I get my trike back tomorrow. Essentially a brand new gearbox. After the National I'll head to the west coast.

Tis true for me.
Have worn many moto themed t shirts. Have donated one (2001) to the COG historical.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:

Gypsy JR said:
Tigger, I get my trike back tomorrow. Essentially a brand new gearbox. After the National I'll head to the west coast.

Woo Hoo -- Great News!  See you in August

Gypsy JR said:
Well can't attend National so hold onto Bun Cooler swag for me. Will get a Regional.

That is too bad you won't make it to National -- I was planning to bring Bun Cooler swag to Regional -- I am confused however, I you coming to Bun Cooler now?

BUMP on camping in Colville.

danodemotoman said:
After searching for camping only found one location near Colville.
It is in Colville at the fairgrounds.
Talked to Lori at the fairgrounds 509-684-2585 no problem with an rv or tent and tenting is on grass. No conflict with other events on the grounds tho some may come in Sun morn in preparation for the next weekend event.
Looks to be 3-4 blocks from the motel rally central.

Local map info
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/Colville.pdf
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/StevensCounty.pdf
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/eng_rms_little_pend_01_full.pdf

Local tour info
http://mapmet.com/Tours/mudmaps/StevensTours.pdf

Tigger said:
I need your registration none the less, so let me know if you still are planning to be there and I will get you registered.

Dan -- Are you going to register, or did you need me to do it for you?

Dan, I'll be camping as well.  Gonna spend my hotel money on stuff like this.

https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=243773&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017-08-12%27%7D