• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 National Rally Location

Ranger Jim

Sport Tourer
We're closing in rapidly on the Sho Me Mo Twisties National Rally.  :)  I'm sure it's gonna be great but now we need to start the speculation as to the location of the NEXT National Rally.

If history is any guide, the location will be within either the SC Region or the NE Region.  :confuse:  In the SC Region, how 'bout Norman, OK?  In the NE Region, I suspect it might be in Rhode Island.  :great:

Norman Oklahoma?  Are you nuts?    :-\

I'm voting for Greensburg, Kansas.  COG at the World's Largest Hand Dug Well.
Or if it's Maine...  It's gotta be at the world's smallest desert at Freeport.  I got dibs on first giant camel ride.

Rev, what are you talkin' bout?  Some of the straightest, flatest road(except for KS) ever.......

J

Hmmmm. Let's see; the National Rally is (typically) held during the summer months. Chiricaua National Monument is in southern Arizona. Southern Arizona isn't normally described as "cool" during the summer months.  :truce:

Ranger Jim said:
Hmmmm. Let's see; the National Rally is (typically) held during the summer months. Chiricaua National Monument is in southern Arizona. Southern Arizona isn't normally described as "cool" during the summer months.  :truce:
Probably true dat.  Used to play in the snow there. I lived in Wilcox in the 70s and it just doesn't get that hot. Msax temp for June is 90, but average high is 80.

Rev Ryder said:

Plus - all the accommodations would be new...(dark humor...)

And, you're not too far from the Dalton Gang Hideout in Meade, KS (a recommended stop if you're passing through).

notsluggo said:
Rev Ryder said:

Plus - all the accommodations would be new...(dark humor...)

And, you're not too far from the Dalton Gang Hideout in Meade, KS (a recommended stop if you're passing through).
And to lighten the dark humor, Dorothy's house is around the corner in liberal. IIRC

connie_rider said:
How about NW?
It's been awhile since we did one there... (I think)

Oregon/Washington??

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted, throw the job of putting on the Nat's to the new AD. :truce:

Better than Canada I suppose they won't let me in. :(

Gumby said:
connie_rider said:
How about NW?

Oregon/Washington??

Ride safe, Ted

I'll be looking forward to your presentation Tom.  (gas on the fire)  :rotflmao:  :beerchug:  :)

hmmm, more fuel,,

COG just helped Charlie get back to riding, and they sent him "Over the Pond" last year...
  So; I suspect he'd be willing to do something for COG.
        Mebbe he'll volunteer to be the Rally Master??

Aww heck, {to save time}.
  I hearby "volunteer" Charlie to be the National Rally Master in 2018..  >:D

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted
I think he's going to be a little late to the game if it is getting announced in June. :-[

Gumby said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted
I think he's going to be a little late to the game if it is getting announced in June. :-[

Nah, Charlie likes surprises...
              >:D

Since Louisiana is in the SC, I vote for New Orleans.  I'd like to see COG turned loose on Bourbon Street.

[move]OMG,,,, COG, on Bourbon Street?   
                            Can you just imagine the ,,,,
                                                                          Partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

:06: :13: :dance: :1rij: :Woot_Emoticon: :clap: :08: :character0029: :pDT_Armataz_01_37: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :hitit: :beer: :sign0137: :bravo_2: :whoo: :wee_hee: :1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij:/move]

connie_rider said:
Gumby said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

Nah, Charlie likes surprises...  >:D

[move]OMG,,,, COG, on Bourbon Street?   
                            Can you just imagine the ,,,,
                                                                          Partyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

:06: :13: :dance: :1rij: :Woot_Emoticon: :clap: :08: :character0029: :pDT_Armataz_01_37: :You_Rock_Emoticon: :hitit: :beer: :sign0137: :bravo_2: :whoo: :wee_hee: :1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij::1rij::1rij: :1rij: :1rij:/move]

Only if it's held during Carnival....
YE OLDE MYSTICK KREWE OF COG

motorcyclemam.jpg

gr33nmAn

So, if the schedule holds it should be the NE turn:

2011 - NE
2012 - SC
2013 - NW
2014 - 25th Anniversary / NE & SE
2015 - SW
2016 - SE
2017 - NC
2018 - ??

I'd be shocked if who ever is planning 2018 has not already presented to the BOD as the membership should receive an 18 month "save the date" notification. I'd bet that it will be held in August. If it is the NE, I hope it will be the southern part like VA, WV or even PA would be nice.

MotoCommuter said:
I'd be shocked if who ever is planning 2018 has not already presented to the BOD as the membership should receive an 18 month "save the date" notification. I'd bet that it will be held in August. If it is the NE, I hope it will be the southern part like VA, WV or even PA would be nice.

Yupp, Someone knows...
But we have to speculate.
It's a COG yearly ritual!!

Ride safe, Ted

I have it on good authority that it will NOT be in my backyard.  Not that I wanted it that way, but THE authority around here told me I'd be... uh... "camping out" for good if I even proposed it.  Nixed... just like that.  And I had big plans too.  :mad:

YES DEAR, I'M COMING. NO, I'M NOT TALKING TO ANYONE.

I gotta go. 

MotoCommuter said:
So, if the schedule holds it should be the NE turn:

2011 - NE
2012 - SC
2013 - NW
2014 - 25th Anniversary / NE & SE
2015 - SW
2016 - SE
2017 - NC
2018 - ??

hmmmmm... Kinda Like the Marietta Ohio area?  ( I know, I know, Ohio IS NC zone) but the only thing seperating Ohio from the NE region, is crossing a bridge over the river on either side of the corner of Ohio, at Marietta....
extremely good riding, day rides into multiple other states, all with awesome roads along the boarders.... hmmmm...
I guess I have to talk to my Ohio Members here, and see what they say, and if they are willing to share.... :rotflmao: :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I know a couple members from my "old" zone, N.E. area, that really love this area also, and are "rally miester" approved, hmmmmm....

ok, now I have to make phone calls... and get a job. :-X :-[ ::) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MAN OF BLUES said:
hmmmmm... Kinda Like the Marietta Ohio area?  ( I know, I know, Ohio IS NC zone) but the only thing seperating Ohio from the NE region, is crossing a bridge over the river on either side of the corner of Ohio, at Marietta....
extremely good riding, day rides into multiple other states, all with awesome roads along the boarders.... hmmmm...
I guess I have to talk to my Ohio Members here, and see what they say, and if they are willing to share.... :rotflmao: :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I know a couple members from my "old" zone, N.E. area, that really love this area also, and are "rally miester" approved, hmmmmm....

ok, now I have to make phone calls... and get a job. :-X :-[ ::) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

they just need to make it Parkersburg WV instead.  close enough.  I can show you guys some of my favorite roads I used to ride when I got my first motorcycle.  :)

Cabo San Lucas. Cabo Wabo??????????????????? Honolulu HI. Pig Roast banquet (working on a ferry boat)??????????? El Paso TX. Home of the 14 pound Steak???????????????? :beerchug:

It's the NE turn?  Hershey PA. A Tourist town with plenty of venues including Chocolate, Hershey Park, and riding that spans from the mountains to the farm lands, to the forrests, to the Chesapeake Bay. 

2fast said:
Could be the first one third rally in Canada, eh? :-\
2Fast, I fixed it for you.

We have had the National in Canada twice already.

[list type=decimal]
[*][size=11pt]June 1992 - "International Friendship Rally" - Western National in Banff, Alberta

[*]June 1997 - "COG-motion Along the Ocean" - Traveling Rally in Atlantic Canada: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia
[/list]

I think an interesting location for the next National in Canada would be Radisson, Québec.  It has three hotels and a campground so I think it would be able to handle everyone that chooses to attend the rally.

COG-528 said:
2fast said:
Could be the first one third rally in Canada, eh? :-\
2Fast, I fixed it for you.

We have had the National in Canada twice already.

[list type=decimal]
[*][size=11pt]June 1992 - "International Friendship Rally" - Western National in Banff, Alberta

[*]June 1997 - "COG-motion Along the Ocean" - Traveling Rally in Atlantic Canada: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia
[/list]

I think an interesting location for the next National in Canada would be Radisson, Québec.  It has three hotels and a campground so I think it would be able to handle everyone that chooses to attend the rally.

Interesting choice having been there a few years ago. I even went to the mall in Chisasibi. Rode the c-10 in the tidal zone of the Arctic Ocean. A c-14 would have a tough time making it without a fuel cell, 240 miles between gas on the James Bay Road. Brush up on your Cree and/or French.

Good ride, though. Met lots of cool folks.

About 4400 miles round trip. Let's go.

Rev Ryder said:
I have it on good authority that it will NOT be in my backyard.  Not that I wanted it that way, but THE authority around here told me I'd be... uh... "camping out" for good if I even proposed it.  Nixed... just like that.  And I had big plans too.  :mad:

I gotta go.

I have it on good authority that you run things around your house.............when she's not home !!!

I 'spect that Rev has the same arrangement with his wife that I do with mine. I can do ANYTHING I want to do (as long as she says it's okay).  ;)  Sound familiar to anyone?

Jim Snyder said:
Rev Ryder said:

I gotta go.

I have it on good authority that you run things around your house.............when she's not home !!!

Yeah, I wear the pants around here.

YES SWEETIE... THE ORANGE AND BLUE PLAID DOCKERS TODAY? OKIE DOKIE.

:eek:

Ranger Jim said:
I 'spect that Rev has the same arrangement with his wife that I do with mine. I can do ANYTHING I want to do (as long as she says it's okay).  ;)  Sound familiar to anyone?
Yeah, it's kinda been like that since the day I woke up to find my pants laying in the street.....

and I was in em!  :-\

;D

I may have missed it with all this frivolity going on, but has the date for 2018 been set?  I thought we got the date the first of the year and the location at the national announcement.

Rev Ryder said:
Norman Oklahoma?  Are you nuts?    :-\

Or if it's Maine...  It's gotta be at the world's smallest desert at Freeport.  I got dibs on first giant camel ride.
Utah

Gumby said:
connie_rider said:
How about NW?

Oregon/Washington??

Ride safe, Ted

I also sure that you have a "great" route that you can send the unsuspecting travelers on.

Sailor_chic said:
Gumby said:
connie_rider said:
How about NW?

Oregon/Washington??

Ride safe, Ted

{Gumby}

I also sure that you have a "great" route that you can send the unsuspecting travelers on.
  {Sailor Chic}

Yea, Gumby.  You can do it!
Like Nicole sez, you know some great roads in the area..
    Heck I'll even volunteer {her} to help.

Tell ya what. I'll be at Gary's house Aug. 26th..
  https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=243773&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017-08-12%27%7D
  {Meet us there, and I'll be happy to talk ya into it!}  <Sneaky Grin>  :)

Ride safe, Ted

so....let me get this right....Ted expects everyone to make a road trip thousands of miles away, just to wave goodbye to him as he gets on a ship to sail to Alaska.....is that about right????

when do we leave???  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Close, but no frijole...

We're flying back to Seattle "after" the cruise.
  Gonna spend a week sightseeing the area and hopefully meeting some friend's..
  ie; Bernd asked if we could meet some  COG Friends while he's in the area.
  Gary, {being a good friend of Bernd/Anette,,,} opted to set up a gathering..
    On the invite, it mention's that a Texan will be there too. {Guess who}  :hum:

NOTE: Your name wasn't on the list.. <smarty eleck grin>  :p

Nahhh, I can't say that.
          Your invited too!! :s_good:
                We'll talk to anyone!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Yea, Gumby.  You can do it!
Like Nicole sez, you know some great roads in the area..
    Heck I'll even volunteer {her} to help.

Tell ya what. I'll be at Gary's house Aug. 26th..
  https://cog.memberize.net/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=243773&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272017-08-12%27%7D
  {Meet us there, and I'll be happy to talk ya into it!}  <Sneaky Grin>  :)

Ride safe, Ted
Pretty sure that was sarcasm from Nicole, because I sent her down some road down South that turned into gravel and had a tree across the it. Ooops, it was on my list to ride just had not done it yet. :truce:

I will see you at Gary's in August, Jami and I already signed up for it. :103:

Well, it started as a nice 2 lane road, paved. Then that dreaded yellow sign "pavement ends". So I scrolled through my GPS and seen that the next waypoint was about a mile ahead. I looked at the gravel road, analyzed the conditions, and said yeah, I can go one mile on that. Next intersection, same thing. So I continued on. After the third waypoint, now getting 3 miles into the boonies, the road conditions turned to crap, and I quickly found myself heading up an incline, that was rutted up from erosion, traction control yelling at me... "slow down". But dang it, I couldn't slow or stop, or it would have been disastrous. Thinking back to my dirt biking days and allowing the bike to do what it needed, and I was more like a jockey.
I made it up the hill, and the road was now a two track, with grass between the two. Finding a place to turn around was next to impossible. Next waypoint... 2 miles... I can do this, I got this now. Soon after that, a tree was across the road. Sounds easy, right. Wrong! Now I'm on a slight incline, still a two track road. I slowly manage to make a 10 point turn while trying to keep the bike on the "road". On the last portion of the turn around, I allowed my front tire to get in the tall grass on the side of the road. Unknowning that there was a small stick laying there and that was causing my tire to slide further off towards the ditch, instead of rolling over and onto the hard pack surface.
By the grace of God, I completed the turnaround and now had my bike pointed towards pavement, which was miles away. Yeah, now I had to navigate down that rutted hill etc... While the entire time, I hearing banjos playing.
To say the least, I was overjoyed to see blacktop again. Note to self.... When going on a route that Gumby recommends, turn off traction control

Sailor_chic said:
Old Man on a Connie said:
^^^ this sounds like a Conc write up  :)

Nah, I believe my writing days have past.
Don't you do it Sis. You have some awesome stories.  I dig your commentary. And I love the view of the female rider. AND inquiring minds need to know :great: :beerchug:

Sailor_chic said:
^^^ this sounds like a Conc write up  :)

Nah, I believe my writing days have past.
Don't you do it Sis. You have some awesome stories.  I dig your commentary. And I love the view of the female rider. AND inquiring minds need to know :great: :beerchug:

Time will tell.

It is way to late for input.  This thread was started to late for input. 

As soon is the location is announced at the nationals is when input on the next location is needed and wanted.  By winter they have to have the location picked and the dates set.

smithr1 said:

As soon is the location is announced at the nationals is when input on the next location is needed and wanted.  By winter they have to have the location picked and the dates set.

See...Bob knows.  that means the event must be in the south central next year.  :) :) :)

Sport Rider said:
smithr1 said:

See...Bob knows.  that means the event must be in the south central next year.  :) :) :)

Nothing like Texas in July!!

Bob knows from being an AD how the system works....... sorta... though the system isn't actually set in stone.  But there is a need for long range on stuff.  I can safely say, I do not even have a clue where the 2022 National is going to happen.  But that's about how far out you need to be thinking if you think a thread here has a chance at influencing the location.  Just sayin'.

If you wanna start in on 2019 or 2020, it'd be fun trying to guess those too.    >:D

But I live in Texas in July... it's August that makes me wanna put on my refrigerated underwear go to the beach.  :truce:

I don't think the Interim "interim" lasts that long... It'll be your turn and then I'm going off on a motorcycle goofing around.... :))  We could have it at Shane's Rib Shack and the Motel 6 in McDonough with speed laps at Hampton Speedway...

Can I get early release for good behavior? (Might have to start something new to get it though...)

ron203 said:
Can I get early release for good behavior? (Might have to start something new to get it though...)

Sorry man, but when you do the AD job well your sentence gets extended. :-\

I can see a long run in Ron's future.

Ron, I don't think you can upset your constituents enough to fail re-election.  Sounds like there may even be a conspiracy afoot.  :-\ 

Rev Ryder said:

Ron, I don't think you can upset your constituents enough to fail re-election.  Sounds like there may even be a conspiracy afoot.  :-\

There's time...there's time....

They're just worried that a circular firing squad is in store for the election...

AD = Always Your Turn in the Barrel  !!!!!  :-\ :-[ :( :angry: :character0029:

ron203 said:
Rev Ryder said:

There's time...there's time....

They're just worried that a circular firing squad is in store for the election...

This caused me to visualize the climactic final of the movie WANTED...

kv5e said:
AD = Always Your Turn in the Barrel  !!!!!  :-\ :-[ :( :angry: :character0029:
I prefer to think of it as being a "chambered round."  :nananana:

Rally Central

Sing_Sing.jpg

Great Roads, it is a little difficult to get out of.............. :)) ..........better food and companionship in town, Ossining, NY

kv5e said:
Rally Central

Sing_Sing.jpg

Great Roads, it is a little difficult to get out of.............. :)) ..........better food and companionship in town, Ossining, NY

Wow! I didn't realize Pyongyang looked so nice!  :nananana:
Wise guy! (Inside joke, y'all!)  :)

Sport Rider said:
So Rev....where did you say it was going to be next year????

What did I say?  My memory is so short these days.  Oooooo, I just watched the video for the 2018 presentation at this year's National in MO.  Boy I sure hope I get to go in 2018. I've never been to Antarctica before.    :beerchug:

HONEY.... WHERE ARE MY MUKLUKS?!?!  Ride with the Penguins in 2018!

Rev Ryder said:
Sport Rider said:
So Rev....where did you say it was going to be next year????

What did I say?  My memory is so short these days.  Oooooo, I just watched the video for the 2018 presentation at this year's National in MO.  Boy I sure hope I get to go in 2018. I've never been to Antarctica before.    :beerchug:

HONEY.... WHERE ARE MY MUKLUKS?!?!  Ride with the Penguins in 2018!

Global warming opens up all kinds of riding possibilities...

Sport Rider said:
I'm thinking we all get adventure tour tires and have it at Prudhoe Bay!
Oh cum on, get serious!  Adventure Tour Tires?  Prudhoe Bay?

It should be some place reasonable, like the thriving metropolis of Hyder, population 87 when the LD Riders are not in town for Hyderseek. 

HyderSeek-6.jpg

I here the camping is great if you don't mind sharing your site with Grizzlies.  :D

grizzly-hyder-alaska-L.jpg

Does this look like any Area Directors you know?
:nananana:

Camper Dave said:
Rhode Island would be cool...
COG at the Breakers has a nice ring to it  :beerchug:

Cornelius would be rolling in his grave..lol

That would be cool though if you're into mansions

Sport Rider said:
the only thing more magical than tonight would be Cinderella's ball.  :))

Cinderella's ball with a H2R instead of a coach!!!!! :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :))