• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 OtP XVI Report Series ! A NEW DAY every Day!

eifeltwister

Hello everyone!

Today is the day my OTP2018 report series starts. It will be day by day a day of travel with pictures and perhaps one or the other annotation/link, which are not to be found elsewhere. I wish you a lot of fun reading and those who were there a lot of fun remembering. Today it starts with Ralf´s Arrival in LAX !

You will find this report also here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/401849443334008/

To support OTP2019, see :
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215652502718452&set=gm.969827479869532&type=3&theater&ifg=1

On my way to LA !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tepBe2mJVeg

I got lucky! I was a little earlier in LA than Ralf and after a reunion with a friend, who introduced me to the most important customs in the land of unlimited possibilities, I was able to drive very relaxed on the day from Ralf´s arrival direction Irvine to Russ Saunders. Once there, I had to get a new lens for the camera and make the C10 "Veteran" suitable for the long distance. Russ and I mounted the GPS mount and the handlebar elevation. At the seat I could choose between three variants. Finally the Stockseat of the 1995 Concours was my choice. A first short test drive with "Veteran" was also satisfactory. So we took Russ´s Ford Pickup to pick up Ralf at LAX.

A small detail on the edge... Pam, Russ´s woman, came back from Paris the same day. So the car was full and the atmosphere was good. Arriving at the Saunders Ralf wanted to sort himself out, but Pam threw her things aside after her 16 hours day and preferred to make it as easy and comfortable as possible for Ralf and me. With so much hospitality we first had to learn to deal with. Nevertheless, everyone fell asleep very quickly, tired and satisfied to have arrived. 

to be continued... ;D

Attachments

• WP_20180602_11_38_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180602_11_38_00_Pro.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 109
  • WP_20180602_11_37_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180602_11_37_47_Pro.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 107
  • WP_20180602_22_17_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180602_22_17_42_Pro.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 122
  • WP_20180602_22_17_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180602_22_17_47_Pro.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 107
Prelude in LA
To leave the jet lag behind and to explore the first sights Russ drove us to LA. After important destinations like Hollywood Boulevard, Hard Rock Cafe and the Dolby Theatre Russ brought us to the Hollywood Hills. Or he wanted to.
On the way there he suddenly thought that he had never been in these streets of LA before... and he lives in LA. Maybe he was just fibbing a little. Nevertheless, we managed to find our goal with the help of signposts past the Universal Studios. In the meantime it had become quite warm. We enjoyed the view of the Hollywood sign and the observatory. After further innumerable sights we were soon back at Russ's house.
The day was not long, but with Ralf the jetlag has finally still struck. So we let the day end comfortably in the knowledge that tomorrow the journey of our life would begin.

Robbie Dupree Talk to you (West Coast Pop)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j28w7oGeqLg

Day 1: Irvine CA - Santa Cruz CA
Today is day one! Ralf has to take all his things together and pack them in Russ´ Ford, the first one is the important visit to Kawasaki. Because here is the motorcycle, which will be Ralf's home for two weeks. I had already found the C10 "Veteran" from 1986 with 98000 miles on the clock in Russ´ Garage. We had decided to start directly from Kawasaki towards Santa Cruz. There it was, the starting signal for the life experience OTP. Stop, there was something else, Ralf's time home... a C14 from 2018, 200 miles walked. You can get wet eyes there. The colleagues helped with packing and then finally, the journey begins. First it was necessary to leave the roads in the direction of the Pacific through Los Angeles behind, this worked quite well thanks to the "fastlane". So we arrived around noon in Santa Barbara and others and could convince ourselves of the quality of the beaches and the beach users ;-). But unfortunately ... Mark calls us to go on. Although it is of course wonderful to drive along the coast, the real challenges are in the first mountain ranges and their hinterland. After having crossed a military area with wonderful curves and an equally varied landscape, we came back to the Pacific coast just in time for sunset. A short stop for some photos and more geht´s. Ok, now it became tricky. Because suddenly there was shear wind from the sea side and we were in the dark on the coastal road. Quite a few times the riders found themselves 1-2 meters displaced, if a gust caught the motorcycle. But all were fortunately experienced enough to deal with it. Nevertheless a dreamlike way to Santa Cruz, where Dan Breden waited already at the hotel for us. We thought the day was over and were looking forward to a bed... But no, Dan invited everyone into his van and it went to his home where his wife was already waiting for dinner. Hello, it was already after 11 ! Thank you, it was excellent and we arrived at the hotel at about two o'clock... at 9 o'clock the side stands were to be folded up again.

To be continued...

Comments please ! ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_1418.JPG
    IMG_1418.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1440.JPG
    IMG_1440.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0336_1.JPG
    IMG_0336_1.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 109
  • WP_20180604_07_43_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180604_07_43_06_Pro.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 109
Day 2: Santa Cruz CA - Bishop CA

Today the visits of some of the countless national parks on our way begin. The first destination is the famous Yosemite Park. After the start in Santa Cruz we pass the fertile valleys in the backcountry, whose smell of garlic accompanied us for a long time. Agriculture as far as the eye can see. It reminded me a little of southern Spain, but there without the typical smells. Arriving at the park we first made a sensible decision... Single ticked or combination ticket for many parks... logically, we take the Combiticket, we still have some parks in front of us. Sure, there was a lot going on here, but it wasn't as crowded as we expected. This landscape is really fantastic and it is good to know what is being done to keep it that way. Maybe Yosemite can be compared to the national parks in the Alps, also concerning the route. Our breaks were longer, just to enjoy. After this nature experience the trip on the 395 past Mono Lake, Inyo National Forest and finally Lake Crowley was like an extension of the day attraction. When I arrived in Bishop, the pool of the hotel caught my eye. And no, I couldn't refrain from jumping in to cool off, what a relief!

Our mission impossible, yes......

By the way, you all know this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHdU5sHigYQ

but if you want to know, what this has to do with "Mission Impossble", look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNrAiUNHtQ

Attachments

• IMG_03555.JPG
    IMG_03555.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1493.JPG
    IMG_1493.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 107
Day 3: Bishop CA - Death Valley - Las Vegas NV
This day will be hot, very hot. It's time to be prepared. So fill the Camelbags with ice and water and put several bottles of Iso drink in the cool bag and off you go. A short stop at the camp of the Japanese interned in the World War and then off to the heat boiler of Death Valley. It's nice to be received at the entrance of the national park with honors by two fighter jets with igniting afterburner. Those present shake hands and ask for their origin, like so often a "where do you come from, where are you going". Here came another awesome "Was the overflight for you? You must be someone special." We puzzle today still whether it was coincidence or organized ;-) . So it went fully motivated towards the lowest point at -200m below sea level. After the liquid supplies were running low with the hours we found one of the few "oases" in this desert. In the meantime, the temperature mark of 48 degrees Celsius had been exceeded for a long time, but we still had almost half the way to go. Sometime after countless long straights and extended curves, several view points on the mountain ranges we reached the longed-for sign "Welcome to LasVegas". Quickly a few pictures of evidence and already Mark's wife waited with the excellent dinner. After that everyone was so ready of the day that only the pool and the drinks counted. Ok, because the next day we should go on towards Utah.

Just not forget the songs of America:

For Day 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch

But for Day 3 there is only one possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEHBTjIYejE

Comments please ! ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_0371_1.jpg
    IMG_0371_1.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0389_1.jpg
    IMG_0389_1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0419_1.jpg
    IMG_0419_1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0431_1.jpg
    IMG_0431_1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 111
@Ted: Sorry to hear, check your Computer ;-), the link still works out fine, on this side of the pond ...

Day 4: Las Vegas NV - Cedar City UT
Leaving Las Vegas at 9 ! Next target: Hoover Dam. Just one word: Huge ! I've seen a lot of big reservoirs, but that's another class. And not only concerning the size. I have never experienced such strong safety measures at a dam like here. Beside this fascinating sight you also get to know new warning signs, for example "no drones". Well, a short stop at the Lake Mead info center and we are back on the road that will take us to Cedar today. At first almost around the whole Lake Mead again, so that you can really measure the size and then we follow the 15 to cross the Zion National Park after the Red Cliffs Area at St.George. Besides the wonderful views and the diverse collosal red stone formations, the park has endless challenging roads for motorcyclists. The detour is definitely worth it, especially if the tour guide gives the signal "free riding" ;-) . But also this day passes by and again everyone has arrived safely at the hotel and as always there is the opportunity to explore the American way of eating.

Facts:

The facts and figures of this giant are impressive. With a height of 221.4 metres, a crown length of 379.1 metres and a wall thickness of 201.2 metres at the base and 13.7 metres at the top, this colossus of 3,333,459 cubic metres of concrete and 43,500 tonnes of steel and metal, none of which was built into the dam itself, weighs an incredible 6.6 million tonnes. This is enough to accumulate the Colorado's entire water supply of two years (9.2 trillion cubic meters) and generate 4 billion kilowatt hours of electricity per year with the 17 generators of the power plant, which covers the annual needs of 1.3 million people. With all these superlatives, the dam was surprisingly inexpensive. Only $49 million dollars was consumed by the dam ($165 million dollars for the entire project), on which about 16,000 people had worked from July 7, 1930 to its completion on March 1, 1935. It thus remained below budget in terms of both time (2 years) and finances. But there are also other remarkable facts. Hoover Dam, for example, was the first single building to contain more stone than the great pyramid of Giza. And with all this material you could build a two-lane road from Seattle to Miami, or a 1.2 meter wide footpath around the entire earth.

Nice version song about the town we leave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui0EgRsFVN8

But i like this one more (with the reincarnation of the "king":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOoKzw3JSCM

btw. rock´n´roll.....

have fun by guessing the movies involved...

Attachments

• IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 107
Nice report and music choices Andre!! I enjoyed it all!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

Sunday ! ... Here´s something different... not one day but two days:

Day 5: Cedar City UT - Cortez CO
Slowly a routine in the daily routine arises, kickstands up at 9. And again and again you ask yourself the question on the descent: "what so fast, there is certainly much more to see here". But our track is relentless, we have to go on. Because the next 400mls are announced. It goes past the Dixie National Forest to today's big destination, the Bryce National Park. What to say. The eyes get a sensory overload again and you don't even know how to process all the impressions that are there every day. I can already say that it will take months, one only takes in, stores away and hopes not to suffer from memory loss. Fortunately, the GPS tracks every mile. Again and again fascinating what nature can do, here it is the Hoodoos, pointed rock formations. A short look at Glen Canyon Area, not to be confused with the Grand Canyon, we left it out. Three reasons: too many people, too expensive and too little time. And already today's destination is in sight.

Day 6: Cortez CO - Alburquerque NM
It all looked like a day like the previous ones. But it should be different. But first everything went according to plan, Kickstands up at 9. The way should lead us through alpine-like mountain regions. Contrary to the plan we followed the 145, 62 and 550 to Silverton. There we already noticed that something was going on. This smell in the nose and a very slight burning in the eyes. It came from the smoke of a wildfire about 30mls away. Ok, first of all strengthen. And what offers itself more than the local Nobel Saloon "Handlebars". A speciality: "Prairie Oyster". Ok, you have to try everything. The dish came as an appetizer like an original Wiener Schnitzel (which is in the original from the veal), the first bite, tastes also like that. Now perhaps a little firmer and more sinewy. I took two, really good. Ralf asked "Are those pig ears? Our companions said "Leave him in the faith" and we all laughed heartily. After lunch we continued on the 550 towards Durango. But unfortunately only 30 miles. The road had been closed, the guided passage along the wildfire unfortunately no longer possible... So all the way back to just before Cortez and then towards Durango. From there you could see the extent of the fire. Breathtaking and frightening at the same time. But our way led us then up to Albuquerque. In the evening we had driven 250mls more than planned. Accordingly, everyone was late and tired. Nevertheless there was still a pizza dinner at the pool with some colleagues who were also on the way to Kerrville. That had almost such a campfire atmosphere with the existing lighting. And not to forget that first look in the beautiful eyes of a kind person !

Do one need more for a special day? ...No.

Another lost and found on the net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrlBIMTzIM

so what, this is far not far away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_dJhBJyE18

back to terms...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2VbX-DbLrY

Silverton, this is like some see the US.... this song leads us to this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VN54M1OXA

Ralf, this one is for you !

Attachments

• IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0574.JPG
    IMG_0574.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 110
Day 7: Alburquerque NM - Kerrville TX
Today we will reach our goal, the meeting in Kerrville. Only, for this we should cross Texas in southeast direction. Well, you can guess it already, Kickstands up at 9 o'clock. The way is long and boring... say our companions. There are so many things to see, for example the endless expanses of the ranch paddocks. Or the streets, whose course looks like drawn with a ruler. After 50mls the first curve, says the GPS. After 52 mls the question "Where was the curve? Was probably rather an angle correction. In fact, I fell asleep twice and got off the road once, but woke up just in time. Nevertheless, this endless expanse fascinates me. You don't know that in Europe in this way, ok, maybe in Central Spain. And then there were these railways. Trains, miles long. Always with 3 or 4 locomotives and from 150 wagons upwards. Like the landscape, endless. And just as fascinating. A bit we also followed the old Route 66. Somehow sobering, there is not much left of the flair of the past. There are rather decayed than blooming places. It was almost oppressive to watch the swan song of the "American way of drive". At least on this section, but more about that later. The day was long, it was already dark, when finally the sign with the inscription "Kerrville" stood at the roadside. After our arrival you could see the relief on all faces. No incidents, no accidents, no checks by cops. None of it. Maybe it was good not to have had some experience.

Day 8 - 11: National at Kerrville TX
What can you say? It was an unforgettable meeting in which we were allowed to participate. Ok, we kept a low profile on the tours, but the days of the meeting were no less eventful than the tour from LA to here. We simply took the days to relax, because we had seven days of arrival behind us and the three-day tour back to Irvine CA ahead of us. Another pleasant side effect was that the contacts at the end were much more intensive than on the tour. Meeting point was always the hotel pool, clear with the prevailing temperatures. But also in the event rooms of the meeting one or the other contact was made.

Interestingly, Ralf and I got into a meeting of the COG members at some point. Ok, Ralf is a member, I then less and actually only guest. Now after some time of listening I couldn't hold back any longer and wanted to bring my point of view into the discussion. A hand signal to the moderator and not four minutes later I was allowed to prove my abilities in free speech in English. Not at all easy, but I think there was more than one applause for recognition and afterwards I still had some people who saw the need for further discussion. What particularly impressed me was the discipline with which discussions are conducted, even if sometimes people break out of them and complain about things ;-) . Free expression of opinion is a high good ! Democracy as well. We were allowed to experience how both were lived.

On the third day we were allowed to feel a little like models. Because Ed Palmer had expressed the request to organize a photo shooting with us. Some of the pictures have already been published. This was a great action, a great location and a wonderful day. Thanks Ed.

We visited Fredericksburg, Germany in mini format in American. There is also the birthplace of Chester W. Nimitz, who, later promoted to admiral, played a role as commander in the Second World War - Pacific region. The hotel, which belonged to his German grandfather, was converted into the National Museum of the Pacific War. During a visit to this museum, I felt very oppressed on several occasions. Especially the displayed copy of the atomic bomb of Hieroshima did not give any good thoughts. Also the representation was in my opinion very flattering for the America of that time. Nevertheless, a visit is worthwhile for interested people because of the size and the love of detail. 

The inhabitants of the city are remarkably proud of their German descent. Many streets, restaurants, hotels and shops have German names and offer typical German food, every year the Oktoberfest is celebrated. OK, we have tasted the food and have to say that it probably has nothing to do with German taste anymore.

After the choir of the COG community had brought its arts to the ears (And yes, I limit myself to photos, but i have a video with tone, if someone want to see/listen) and all important speeches were held, Ralf and I were called to the front again. I already had a suspicion that something would happen, because Mark insisted on the first day of the meeting that Ralf and I still had to take passport photos. Unfortunately the photographer was not really cooperative with Mark, because the usual characteristics for passport photos could not be fulfilled. It was a bit funny how Mark tried to dispel these concerns of the photographer.

Ok, what happens now. I was lucky, because Ralf had to take the oath of allegiance to the Texas flag. Ralf and I were Texans with it... "...so help us **** !" with passport and own flag. Thank you Ted and all involved! Besides there were still so many small incidents, which I cannot give here for space reasons all to the best. We were not only there, we belonged to it. So here's a big "thank you" to all of you who welcomed us so amicably.

What show could have happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdR6MN2jKYs

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1i5coU-0_Q

what we really got you will see in the attached video.... OOOPS sorry no video avaiable...
but you can see ist here

https://www.facebook.com/eifeltwister/videos/pcb.976615552524058/1984038948375306/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

Something different:

This movie reminds me of some waitresses on the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLbPv6yIvBU

Ok, comments please...

to be continued

Day 12: Kerrville TX - Las Cruces NM
The day has come to say goodbye to our many new friends. We take up the old rule "Kickstands up at 9" again and let the motorcycles loose on the road again. For today I was prepared for oppressive pictures, because it should pass also at the Mexican border. You are used to bad things in Germany as far as walls and fences are concerned. But first we followed the long I-10-W. Actually the stage to El Paso was planned, but in order to save some time for the next day, we left El Paso to the right and the destination of the day was Las Cruces. On the way there we first passed fields and pastures in order to be able to take up the desolation of the route in the vast steppe-like landscape between Saragosa and Fort Hankock. We left the border after one of the frequent fuel stops and reached a border control via the interstate bypass. Please, the border is not here. Nothing helps. So friendly for the automatic cameras smile and hope that we are waved through. We will, and on we go. At the end it was one of the most boring stages, neither demanding to drive, nor were there really many interesting things to see. Good that the day was soon over. Tomorrow it should be better, back towards the mountains.           

Day 13: Las Cruces NM - Holbrook AZ
kickstands... you know... ok, we follow the I-10 to Lordsburg and change to the 70 to Duncan. Damn, still straight as a die. But then after the change to the 75 and 191. It went over a wonderful curved route first up to Morenci. Wonderful route. Actually it should become only a refueling stop, but then we became witnesses of a funeral procession. It seemed as if the whole place was on the way with the cars, it seemed to have blessed a honoration the temporal, because also the public places and fire brigade/police were involved. It took about 20 minutes for the caravan to pass by.

In addition there was still light rain, but it became stronger and stronger. And then the way led us right through the Morenci copper mine. Again we have to say that the Americans can be big. I know mining areas by the opencast mine for the mining of brown coal. These are already big holes in the landscape. But this mining area is larger, much larger. And you can drive right through it, always on your guard against the huge mine trucks, which show you with their wheels of about 2 meters diameter how small you really are. The drivers don't take you for granted, so be careful. After this experience, in dry weather, a dreamlike, partly newly built route followed to Alpine, past the Apache Reserve, partly also in it. Unfortunately it rained quite a lot. Then I preferred to avoid smoking breaks and conversations and drove the route up to Alpine alone in a moderate way (it wasn't a lost cause ;-) ). There the colleagues caught up again to the common lunch.

Freshly strengthened we took up the way to Holbrook, always with the sky in sight. Something was brewing. But our route was tricky and avoided the heavy rains. We changed to the 180, which brought us quite directly to our day's destination. In the evening we had two special experiences. Dinner together was announced, one last time on the tour. So we remembered the next burger shop and waited properly for the allocation of a table... but it came differently. The waiter approached us and told us that we could place the order in 45 minutes and that it might be served after another 45 minutes. We renounced and stood again on the street. What to do, ok, next restaurant. There were actually two of them. An Italian and a steak house. Two advertising signs, two entrances, two guest rooms, but only one kitchen. It was quite bizarre, because one could order the dishes of one shop in the other. We chose the Italian and were very positively surprised about the speed and quality of the food and drinks. A successful last evening with our American friends. Here we like to come back, as in most of the visited places. The only requirement is sometimes that you have to lure the waiters out of their reserve with questions, e.g. "What is the best you can offer us today? We were never disappointed. A little small talk also helps to increase the friendliness many times over.

Ok. Tomorrow is the last day of the tour, it's something special. Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoN6AKPGkBo

Strong Story Video...

Perfect Discription Holbrook...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rieqxs2TL0M

more video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4o4Q9sd_y4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6QZn9xiuOE

Attachments

• IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1641.JPG
    IMG_1641.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0691.JPG
    IMG_0691.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 110
Day 14: Holbrook AZ - Irvine CA
No, it's not 9:00. It's Kickstands up at 8. We have a long day ahead of us. We want something special today. 666mls on "Route 66", or at least approximately. Possibly the highlight of the round trip. So we start over the I-40 to Winslow/AZ. Beside the entrance into the historical Route 66 there is also a jewel of the "American Way of Life". It is about a song of the Eagles, "Take it easy". Because the text line "Well I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" probably refers to this place, the supposed position of the protagonist has been prepared as a tourist attraction. Besides the signage and an oversized Route 66 emblem on the road, there are some shops for devotional items around this point in the middle of the village. Interesting is the possibility to also immortalize oneself as "Standing on a corner" by means of a cobblestone with one's own name, which is embedded in the sidewalk and confirms the presence at this place. Nice location!

Because the I-40 follows the route of the old Route 66 to behind Flagstaff and we still have a long way to go, we follow the I-40 to behind Ash Fork and then turn onto the historical route towards Seligman. There the cult around the old dream road Route 66 is already quite pushed to the top. "With a degree of certainty, it can be said that the cornerstone for the modern interest in Route 66 is the barbershop and gift shop of Angel and Vilma Delgadillo in Seligman, Arizona." - Joe Sonderman. He is right, the shop is worth a "must have" visit, hundreds or better thousands of license plates from all over the world can be found there on walls and ceilings. In addition there are hundreds of different Route 66 Devotional Objects. And the Delgadillo´s live their vocation to keep the route alive. If one needs times which route referred: http://www.route66giftshop.com

We continue along the historic route to Kingman. We are accompanied by a large group of dust devils on the mile-long straight before entering the village. These small whirlwinds wandered parallel to us in a straight line and this in a felt exact distance to each other. I counted more than 10 in the row. A fascinating natural spectacle with otherwise bright sunshine. In addition, we were again accompanied by the monster trains, which we already often met on our journey. In Mr. D´z Route 66 Diner there was the burger of the day, more typically American is not possible! Then we follow the old route into the mountains. The condition of the road here is, let's say, terrible. And some residents come up with the strangest things to lure people from the I-40 onto the old road. Dinners in the desert, free running donkeys on the streets and often souvenir shops. It seems a bit unreal in the inhospitable area of the mountains. But the route of the road compensates for everything. Sometime we meet the I-40 again at the border of Arizona to California. Because the time is already very advanced, we have to take the fast road. LA, here we come.

The time of saying goodbye begins. One companion after the other says goodbye, some became friends. There was no traffic jam... until tonight. But to the surprise of the colleagues I had to wait 10 minutes for them at the front end of the traffic jam. Sometime we arrived back at Russ and Pam's home in the light of the sunset. It was a reunion of mixed feelings. On the one hand ... one has finished the tour! ... on the other hand ... what, already to the end?

A must hear in this case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSScV6Rt_6s

ok, here´s some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJZTgynPGT8

about Seligman AZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8QQJ45-fdw

not made by me , but it conserves the mood of the place

Attachments

• IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1679.JPG
    IMG_1679.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0694_2.jpg
    IMG_0694_2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 106
simply awesome Andre, great job!!!!!!

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :beerchug: ;)

The final stage....

No, it wasn't the end yet.
We still had two days to prepare for our return journey. But first Ralf´s C14 had to go back to Kawasaki.

But at the breakfast table Ralf had some confusing news from Europe. Some colleagues had contacted us and reminded us that they had probably paid for keeping a promise and now wanted to see the result. Ralf said... We have a problem, I meant no, we don't, we are bald right here and now. Interestingly, Ralf had the hair razor with him, but he said that it had not been used in Kerrville due to lack of interest.
Ok, who cuts... At first we thought of Russ and Pam, in whose house we were just allowed to be. But both of them waved off... Do it yourself was the answer. All right, so on the terrace a chair and the cameras positioned and off we go. The first cut is the deepest, they say. We had some fun, especially Russ and Pam ;-) . And in the end it didn't look bad at all.

But then it was time for ... Motorcycles cleaning. Also "veteran" deserved a shower. What can you say, 33 years have not gone by without a trace, but... she still looks good, the old lady.

OK, then came Ralf´s last ride on the C14. You could really feel the melancholy. She had already grown close to his heart. It was a short and painless farewell for Kawasaki LA. Descending, handing over the keys and seeing afterwards how a Kawa employee drove the good one around the corner. One last look, thank you Kawasaki for supporting the project.
After a tour of the showroom we cruised through LA again, a bit here and a bit there. The rest of the day was relaxing, ok some colleagues came by and we had a chatty afternoon.

Last day...

Chilling is the order of the day and where better to do it than on the coast. So get in the car and go. After a short drive we arrived at Heisler Park in Newport CA. Such a chilly place. beautiful sunshine, a wonderful view, a place where you want to be more often. After a tour we visited the offshore islands with the magnificent marinas and saw Habor and Balboa Island. At some point it was time to go back and pack our things. Because tomorrow the planes go from LAX to Frankfurt and London.

There are still so many little stories to tell, like the one about the young lady at LAX just before our departure. She stood alone in the huge departure hall with tears in her eyes. I hadn't even noticed her when Ralf pushed me... "Shall we ask what's going on?" I... "If you think so, do it, I'll come with you." So he approached her and asked what was going on. She explained that her boyfriend had just left for Paris, that she was French herself and that she would have to be alone in LA for another three weeks before she would also return to France. We then encouraged her a little bit and said that three weeks were not a long time, with the hint what we had done the last three weeks and how time flew. She stopped crying and said that would have been an insane plan. She thanked us for the request and wished us a good flight home before she kissed us on the cheek. Just like that, as a thank you that we were there.

But what was really special was that Ralf and I talked a lot about the things in life and how you can make your own life a little more worth living. I had always brought the attentiveness towards others into play. And now ... this little story was the result. Thank you Ralf for listening !

Well, unfortunately, now it is the end !

There are so many people to whom we owe thanks!

But there is one thing that deserves my special thanks:

"Veteran", you old warhorse. You made sure that I survived the 5050 mls on your back. What's more, most of the time I really enjoyed making my colleagues look old on their great new rides. I will never forget the time with you, you never let me down, despite your high age of 33 years and the 100000mls you had already rolled. With your sisters I have already been so far on the way. Sometimes my colleagues asked me pitifully, if I could do with the pace. But after a few days they showed respect for both of us, because we often mastered the journey more relaxed than the more sporty C14. Mark had offered me that I could take you to Europe, but unfortunately this was not possible. But I was very happy when I heard that you found a new home and should not fall victim to the dismantling. Thank you Mark, I appreciate your action with the veteran organisation, that touched me!

Oh yes, Mark, one more thing:

We didn't have it easy at the beginning. But I'm still in debt for your commitment, for your devotion in leading the group, not a moment of no one has left. In the end, that was great entertainment. Thank you for your time, your sweat, your patience and your enthusiasm.

This is only for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcrbDYe4qL4&list=PLUfB4ZFdI-Ee3HFO8F6WRyEs7QynW2BMd&index=2

Keith, thank you for being on the spot at crucial moments and putting things on the right track with your kind. For your company throughout the journey, although more than once your work would have been more important. Without you it would only have been half. Thank you!

Russ, my friend and confidant before, during and now after the trip. Hopefully we will be able to drive many more miles together, whether in Europe or in US. Thank you.

Pam, what should I say. You have redefined the term hospitality for me. I have already written down everything else. Thank you!

Dan, it was crazy to have a midnight dinner like this, and I also have respect for your wife. That was very big. Thank you!

Ted, friend and frequent Europe traveler, thank you that you were always there when I had questions, brought trust or just advice on how to go on.There are few of your kind.Thank you!

Jami, the meeting in Kerrville was great, but you really made it special with our conversations. I will never forget your friendly attitude. You are a very special person. In your proximity I feel very well. Maybe we'll have a margherita together sometime, hopefully. Thank you !

To all, which I did not call so far here, no I did not forget your actions, company, donations and hospitality. But the list would become simply too long. Therefore to all those who have to do with the project "OTP", who made it possible for me to actively participate in it: Thank you!

I still have to give one thank you. It goes to a very special person. Maria, Gigi, we have known each other for decades. It may sound strange, but you are a love of my life. Our friendship has survived many things, separations, 20 years without contact, different views. We will see each other many more times, God willing. I appreciate your honest words and open direct way. It was an honour for me to be your guest as a prelude for the great "OTP"-Trip! And you know, i am only one message away, as you are for me!

What remains of the journey at the end?

We will come again because we have come to know and love this country and its people. It is a wide country, a big country with mostly friendly inhabitants. Well we have only seen a short unreal excerpt, only got to know a few people. But these people were good ambassadors for their country. We, Ralf and I, can only hope that, by and large, we have also made a good impression. Ok, sometimes there was a lack of communication, but luckily there were people who could fix the problem well. It's like always, you have to get involved with things. We want to do that as soon as time and money allow. Goodbye and thanks to everyone for every little thing!

And yes, i cried out a tear at some points of the story !

And in Addition, here is also the final of the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNm0PP_WrA

and one last song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D6cw8Ob2sk

okokok... the last last one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLP0y-X4uYs

and i can not leave without this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvNpwS8hu8

AND THIS IS THE END:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUIQgEVDM4

:))  donate for the new traveler(s) !!

Attachments

• IMG_0754.JPG
    IMG_0754.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1759.JPG
    IMG_1759.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 109
Great final report and music choices Andre!! I can speak for Pam and I and say we had a fantastic time hosting Ralf and yourself! We saw a lot of fun sights in Southern California, enjoyed good food and beverages and good conversations! Traveling with the gang, Ralf and you was so much fun in the beautiful Southwest! Come on back and visit anytime!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:  :beerchug:  :)

:great:
Andre:

The "veteran" had ridden eleven western states and two provinces in Canada to get to your starting mileage of 98K. She was a two owner bike; both of us were riding partners until his death in 2003; I bought the "veteran" in 2003 and put 39K on her on many of the roads you rode in the west. Bryce,Zion, Grand Canyon, St. George and the Virgin River Gorge, Holbrook,Az., Morenci, Az., I-10 east and west through Az.,N.M., California's Hwy.1 and 101, Yosemite, Bishop, Las Vegas, kinda sounds like an early version of an OTP.
I took good care of the "veteran", but stuff happens. Used, but not abused. Thanks for the write up. I could relive all of the days rides with good memories.

Bob Young
Red Eagle
Ex-COG # 5753