• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 rally route request

bbroj

Just home from a fantastic time at the 2017 National Rally, kudos to all those that helped make it happen! Looking forward to Texas in 2018, I have a request for those in the area that will help with route planning. Anticipating Texas heat in June, some shorter loops (150-200 miles) would be of interest to myself and the folks I usually ride with, getting us back to rally central earlier to enjoy some of the other rally activities. Also, where possible, have a destination or point of interest somewhere around the midpoint of the ride. It serves for a good rest stop and photo op as well an opportunity to introduce us to your state! We enjoyed some incredible roads in Missouri and some good destinations, but scenic stops and points of interest seemed to be few and far between. Not complaining, I'm still grinning from the roads in Missouri, just offering my $.02 for the next rally. See you there!

Not sure how involved I will be but I was thinking the same kind of thing.  In MO. I got up early and rode from about 7 am to 1 pm.  That is the best way to beat the heat of the day.  That is the way I do most of my riding normally down here in the summer.  Maybe the rally can be planned more around a good afternoon siesta time.

Siesta is nice, so is an afternoon dip in the pool and loitering around the poolside bar!

Locations of good restaurants, especially BBQ, that could be used as stopping points would be great as well.  I can certainly Yelp, but recommendations from the local COGnoscenti would be the best.

I'm sure the Rally Team is working on the routes for the 2018 Rally.
But, we are a year away, so it will be some time until the routes are published.
  NOTE: I'm not involved in that. Have no idea of their plans.
            But {besides great roads} there is a lot to see and do in and near Kerrville.

Here are some random thoughts for; while your there. {or on your ride to/from Kerrville}
It might be a good option to take a swimsuit with you.
A trip to canoe or float down the Guadalupe River at New Braunsfield could be an option.
  The Schlitterbahm Water Park is there too. hint hint
Garner State park, (w/river swimming) is in the area.
San Antonio, with the Alamo and the River Walk is relatively close too.
  I've never done the River Walk, but I've heard of great restaurant's there too.

Ya'll have heard of Lukenbach Texas with "Wallin, Willey, and the boys"..  It's not far from the rally.
    If you go thru there, you could stop and see the {air conditioned} Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg.

Kerrville itself is an interesting little town, and also has a lot of BBQ joints and great Mexican food places!
  Every time I do the Hill country I ride to Llano to eat at Coopers BBQ.
      I'm sure I will be going to Cooper's at least once. I highly recommend Coopers!

Ride safe, Ted

Lots of good suggestions and we're still nearly a year away. Looks like a great start!

Has the rally team, or any members have any GPS routes filed yet?  I am going to the Hill Country in Feb (on four wheels) and would like to travel on fun roads.  If you could share files by reply or point me to a file section where I can fine them it would greatly appreciated.  We'll be visiting San Antonio, Fredrickburg, Kerrville, etc. on our way down to Big Bend.
Thnx,
Don

Don, there may be routes for the area posted on the Wildflower event.
If not, possibly can find them on past Wildflower events.
  Held every March/April in Hunt Texas. (Near Kerrville)

Ride safe, Ted

BackInTheSaddle said:
Has the rally team, or any members have any GPS routes filed yet?  I am going to the Hill Country in Feb (on four wheels) and would like to travel on fun roads.  If you could share files by reply or point me to a file section where I can fine them it would greatly appreciated.  We'll be visiting San Antonio, Fredrickburg, Kerrville, etc. on our way down to Big Bend.
Thnx,
Don

We have a couple of volunteers that are currently working on routes for the rally.  At our last committee meeting they were not quite finished yet, and I am unsure if they will have them ready to send out by February.  In our meetings I have asked that they be ready by April.

Many of us know the area very well, just let us know where you are staying and we can recommend some roads.