• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

2018 Ride the Ribbon

Although I'm listed as a contact person for this event, I wasn't contacted by the Area Director to assist in the event. I am not an AMA member, and for this to be an AMA Sanctioned event there has to be an AMA member present that has been schooled in risk management (online video).
I don't know if I'm attending the event or not at this point, but if I do I'll probably just be there as a private motorcyclist and not registering as a COG member. I have liability, comprehensive, and medical insurance. Pretty sure the AMA Insurance coverage is to protect COG, not me. Plus I don't know who the AMA Risk Management Member in attendance is at this point.
Last year I did contact the management of Dreamer's Lodge and America's Best Value Inn for Club rates for the event. Dreamers gave us the normal rate for anyone, no discount. ABVI did give a rate equal to the Senior/AARP/Veteran rates. I'm a senior/veteran, being a COG member won't get me a better deal. I already pay membership dues to COG and don't see why I need to pay to have them covered by AMA.
If I do go this year it will be either my 4th or 5th time. The riding is great, the people are awesome, and I especially appreciate Charlie Gary, Bob Rainey, and Nancy Isley that managed the event in the last few years. And because of those great members of COG, we benefited from some paid meals at this event. Definitely a membership bonus, but pales to the experience of riding with some of the nicest people I've ever met.
Join for the bike, stay for the people.

CBX-Bob said:
Although I'm listed as a contact person for this event, I wasn't contacted by the Area Director to assist in the event.
My bad Bob, I assumed since you reached out to me about Ride the Ribbon this year, bought door prizes last year, contacted hotels last year, and you are a NW area AAD you were going to be the goto person this year. I have changed the contact information to myself in the registration form.

My apologies there was a precedent set in the NW area that insurance, food, and door prizes for events was part of your membership fee, that is just not the case.

I need to go to work this morning, I will try to put more about the justification for a rally fee later.

In the meantime, will others answer questions for me? Will you not register since there is a $10 fee now? Will you not go? Will you ride in John Day that weekend, but not as part of a COG rally?

Bob, AAD's are NOT required to have AMA membership. AMA requires only 10 people in COG to have insurance available for rally's.

Tom thanks for your reply.
And I'm sorry that I made it sound like the rally fee was a sticking point for my attendance, it's not. If I can attend,  the rally fee would not be a consideration. I'm not a fan of the AMA, an organization that got too big, and too political for my liking. But an explanation of how their Sanctioning benefits us COG Members would be appreciated. 
And Tim,
I realize I don't need to be an AMA member to assist in the event. But as I understand it, an AMA member that has completed the Risk Management video must be present. Correct me if I'm wrong.
My schedule has been hectic, retirement turns out to be busier (and more expensive) than I expected! I may have to return to work to get some rest  :truce:
I really hope to be able to make the event, just not sure at this point.
My thanks to those that make these events such a great part of being a COG member.
Bob.