• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

20th Annual Hunt For Red October

likesbikes

October 10, 11, 12

Keep Checking Back for Updates

It''s the 20th anniversary of the signature end-of-the-season ride, so mark it down on your calendar.  For those that can make it, we will be starting the event on Friday, the rest of the schedule will remain unchanged. Dinner on Friday night will be a BBQ on the grounds of the Don Q.  We will pass the hat to help pay for the food.

Saturday there will be a COGvergence of riders meeting at the Sparta Family Restaurant (formerly the Country Kitchen) in Sparta, WI.  After lunch, we''ll ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville.

Dinner on Saturday night and “ride central” will again be at the Don Q Inn (800-666-7848 or 608-935-2321). They’ve generally set aside about 25 rooms for us at a special rate but will only hold them till September 10, so get your reservations in early.

The price of dinner on Saturday night will be $20/person. The cost of the dinner will be collected in Dodgeville. If you''re planning on attending the dinner banquet on Saturday night, please indicate this in the comment section when you register so we have an accurate headcount to provide the caterers.

If you RSVP for the dinner and later determine that you can''t make it, please notify Dave McClurg as soon as possible. You will be asked to pay for the dinner if you RSVP and you don''t show up (since we will be on the hook with the caterers).  After dinner the cavalcade of raffle prizes begins.

The design for this year's HFRO T-Shirt was inspired by the DVD box graphic of the early 90's movie "The Hunt for Red October".  There will be two designs, one with a C10 and another with the C14 also with the option of either black or white with black being the default color if not specified.  Cost of shirts are $12 each.  Specify quantity, size, C10 or C14, b/w in the comments section when registering.

Registering on the COG calendar is the preferred way to sign up for the time being  Stay tuned for updates.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=200616&mo=10&tDate=%7Bd%20%272014%2D10%2D12%27%7D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago to Sparta Group Ride. We''ll meet and depart at 7:00 AM from Steve Pronto''s residence (1821 IL RT 176, Crystal Lake, IL 60014). ETA at the Sparta Family Restaurant (formerly the Country Kitchen) in Sparta will be 11:30 AM. Please make sure to RSVP so we have an idea of how big the group will be. It would also be appreciated if you could contact Steve to let him know you''re joining the group. Contact Steve Pronto with any questions regarding the Chicago Group ride.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milwaukee to Sparta Group Ride. The Milwaukee group will meet at the McDonald''s at the intersection of I-94 and Hwy 83 in Delafield at 8:00 AM. We''ll meet other riders on the north side of the Wisconsin River at the Merrimac Ferry at approx. 10:00 AM, before moving on to Sparta. Contact Dave McClurg with any questions regarding the Milwaukee Group ride.

Minnesota

Friday - The Minnesota group will meet at the Perkins Restaurant in Stillwater at 8:00AM friday for breakfast. We''ll depart for Sparta at 9:00AM. 

Saturday - For those coming down on Saturday, the breakfast meet up will be the same place, but we will depart for Sparta 1/2 hour earlier (7:30 AM for breakfast, side stands up at 8:30 AM).  The group will arrive at the Sparta Family Restaurant a little after Noon. 

We're looking for a ride leader for the Saturday ride from Stillwater to Sparta.  Contact Randy Schafer with any questions regarding the Minnesota Group ride.

Attachments

• C10 HFRO sma.jpg
    C10 HFRO sma.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 116
  • C14 HFRO sma.jpg
    C14 HFRO sma.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 120
I'm in!  Nice design for the shirts Randy :great:  I'm registered and ordered one of each shirt for this anniversary of the HFRO :motonoises:

I'm in. I'll see you for breakfast Friday morning. I have my room reservation in for both Friday and Saturday night.

It's always a good time. Where else can you drink beer in a parking lot filled with motorcycles and a airplane.

I am also in and The Other Other Brian is also.

I do have one question........ Can I get a tee shirt with  an FJR on it?  :)

Attachments

• FJR_003.JPG
    FJR_003.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 104
Are you now an FJR owner now? If so congrats.
I considered doing an FJR T shirt but since this is a COG event better to have a Concours in the design.

Brian,
Good decision. The deal was too good for you to pass up. Congrats on the new ride. You won't regret it.

See you on the Hunt, if not before. I can't make Tom's Brewery ride. I have a early gig that night at the Beach Bar in Lake St. Croix.

Congrats Brian! The silver FJR's just make me smile ;)

I'm on a new (to me) 2013 FJR as well. The newer version of the same damn thing... gotta love TBW, CC, ABS and TC.

Anybody need a roommate for the Hunt???

Roger Dodger said:
Congrats Brian! The silver FJR's just make me smile ;)

I'm on a new (to me) 2013 FJR as well. The newer version of the same damn thing... gotta love TBW, CC, ABS and TC.

Anybody need a roommate for the Hunt???

Roger, I may if Brain Mckenzie (Super T) does not go. I will let you know soon.

Roger Dodger, it looks like Brian is attending. We are planning for two nights. Maybe ride to nearby New Glarus to tour the Brewery on Sat.
Anyone heard from Andrew in Thunder Bay? Did he make to Soldiers Grove? I sent a PM but got no response. I thought he was doing HFRO for sure.

I thought Andrew was planning to come down and have not heard from him lately.  I'll ping him too.

I have not heard from Andrew in a bit I hope he can make it. If If I remember correctly the New Glarus tour was lame totally self guided and no samples. Somebody correct me if I am wrong

LSGiant said:
I have not heard from Andrew in a bit I hope he can make it. If If I remember correctly the New Glarus tour was lame totally self guided and no samples. Somebody correct me if I am wrong

This is correct...at least it was when I visited last spring.

Honestly, I much preferred the brewery tour at Minhas in Monroe. It's only about 20 miles from New Glarus and it's more like what you'd expect from a traditional brewery tour -- old-timey tavern feel, free samples (well, the tour costs $10, but you get the beers before the tour and they send you home with some glasses and a mix-pack of 6 different beers. And they may also have their distillery open for tours now. Only down side is their beers aren't as good as New Glarus's.

One note on Minhas -- they had a big fire there within the past year, so I don't know what may have changed as a result. Best to check in advance if you're going.

I'd never heard of Minhas brewery so I had to look it up.  Pretty much a factory from the photos.  I have had one or two of the beers they make.  One of em is Lazy Mutt.......an undrinkable beer.

LSGiant said:

It is self guided and you can buy Beer buy the glass or sample flites. It's quite the layout and worth a stop at only 30 miles away, reminds me of a winery in California.
http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/tour
The original Brewery is small and only offers hard hat tours on Fridays at 1:00 and they cost $20, reservations required

2fast said:
I'd never heard of Minhas brewery so I had to look it up.  Pretty much a factory from the photos.  I have had one or two of the beers they make.  One of em is Lazy Mutt.......an undrinkable beer.

Their brewery is deceptive-looking from the outside. As I understand it, they're the longest continually operating brewery in the country; brewed their first batch in something like 1848. It was previously known as the Joseph Huber Brewing Company, makers of Berghoff, Huber and Rhinelander brands.

I agree with you on the Lazy Mutt -- that was one of the beers in my mix-pack. But they had a chocolate stout in the tour bar that was pretty good. But I'm not much of a beer snob...just had a Grain Belt the other night for the first time in something like 25 years.

They're mostly a contract brewer for restaurants and supermarkets around the country. Walking through their warehouse I must have seen nearly 100 different brands.

If you are going on the "Hunt" and want a T shirt register now and put in the comment section size, C10 or C14 or email me @ rides1zg at aol dot com
I'm putting in the order this week on the 24th
Unfortunately an earlier quote on the cost for the T shirts has changed so gotta bump up the price to $15 to get close to breaking even.

It's predicted to be a spectacular autumn for the changing of the leaves.

Well, the room's have been booked for a few weeks now.(Stillwater for Thursday night  and Don Q for 2 nights) and I have been watching the weather forecast, and looking pretty good ! But I imagine just like around here you can't bet on the weatherman!!Been doing things at home so I don't feel bad taking off for 5 days to ride. Summer here at the top of the lake has been crap and I was fortunate to do 1250 miles in Sept up into Copper Harbor thru MN,WI and MI . Can't wait!! Case of cans fits just nice in the bottom of the Wolf Bag I have!!Just incase the sun comes out late in the day!!

Time is getting close. Get on the calendar and register so we know what to plan for.....you ain't gonna want to miss this year! :-\ :motonoises: :beerchug: :)

:campfire:

Looking forward to a nice fall trip, and last I checked (I dont wanna check again :\ ) the weather looked good.

Unfortunately all the rooms were booked, so I'll be tenting it up at Gov. Dodge state park, which will be fun...so looks like it'll be a good weekend!

I'm new to the organization. Just bought my C-10 a couple of months ago.  Would it be OK to drop by the lunch in Sparta or am I too late for that ?  I haven't registered.  ::)

Dan LT 73 said:
I'm new to the organization. Just bought my C-10 a couple of months ago.  Would it be OK to drop by the lunch in Sparta or am I too late for that ?  I haven't registered.  ::)

Never to late for lunch at Sparta.

Dan LT 73 said:

Come on by, don't be shy. Barge into a group and introduce yourself as a newbie to COG and you will be welcomed in, no secret handshakes to remember. Join in on part of the ride down to Dodgeville if you want or come all the way for some parking lot b-s sessions.

Question for the Minnesota group attending on Friday - Are you planning to meet for lunch in Sparta on Friday?  If you are, what time?

I am planning on meeting my son north of Red Wing on Friday AM and heading toward Dodgevile, but I am not sure if I should go by way of Sparta. 

Brian said:
Question for the Minnesota group attending on Friday - Are you planning to meet for lunch in Sparta on Friday?  If you are, what time?

I am planning on meeting my son north of Red Wing on Friday AM and heading toward Dodgevile, but I am not sure if I should go by way of Sparta.

Don't plan on doing lunch in Sparta on Friday but not too far from there in Mindoro, it's rumored there is a good burger joint in town. Should be rolling in at about 12:30

Have to work until 10:00 Saturday morning, but I'm going to jump on the bike and head for Sparta afterwards.  Maybe I'll make it and maybe I won't.  If I see a bunch of Kawasaki's going down the road I'll fall in behind.    If not..................It'll be a nice day for a ride..... whatever happens.        :motonoises:

My son and I will be meeting up with the group at the Merimac ferry. It going to be cold leaving the house at 8 AM.

Ok so after waiting to see the weather report, then finding all the rooms booked, then waiting for my boss to clear the day off, then deciding to buy a tent and camp at Gov. dodge park, I'm ready to commit to going LOL. I will try to catch the group at Delafield but dang that's early for a play day so don't wait around for me lol. I will be at the dinner, I'm sure its too late but if a 3x tee shirt that that looks like an imitation FJR is available I will buy or order one

Brian said:
likesbikes said:
Don't plan on doing lunch in Sparta on Friday but not too far from there in Mindoro, it's rumored there is a good burger joint in town. Should be rolling in at about 12:30

We will plan to join you.  Should not be too hard to find -  Mindoro is not too big. 

Is the burger joint Top Dawg's Pub and Grub?

http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/pub-on-hwy-offers-burgers-on-menu/article_83822ff9-5797-5c81-a2fb-fdba1633ba89.html

been there several times.  :great:

SubCool said:
Ok so after waiting to see the weather report, then finding all the rooms booked, then waiting for my boss to clear the day off, then deciding to buy a tent and camp at Gov. dodge park, I'm ready to commit to going LOL. I will try to catch the group at Delafield but dang that's early for a play day so don't wait around for me lol. I will be at the dinner, I'm sure its too late but if a 3x tee shirt that that looks like an imitation FJR is available I will buy or order one

ha! sounds familiar...

Im at Site 29 in cox hollow if you want to come by for a campfire and ramblings in the evening...

SubCool said:
. I will try to catch the group at Delafield but dang that's early for a play day so don't wait around for me lol.

I will be at the McD's in Delafield at 815 to lead a group out.  Look for a blue C-10 with a slight crack in the fairing by the left side turn signal.

I am looking to depart at 835-840 for the Ferry with whoever shows up.

Hey guys dumb question....... Is there an itinerary for stuff tonight, Friday? From the looks, it seems like stuff is tomorrow but I'm just trying to see if folks are around this evening or not.

What a fabulous time! Thanks to all that help put this event together. :great:
Until next year....stay classy Dodgeville!

LessPaul said:
Bump....any word on dates yet for the 2015 ride?

From the Spring CAN (North Central Are Newsletter):

" Friday - Sunday, October 10 - October 12 – 21st Annual Hunt For Red October. The Hunt continues its wonderful tradition of the last major ride of our North Central region. For the 21st annual running of this popular event, we’re including a third riding day for those that can join us on Friday at the Don Q Inn. We’ll still meet for lunch on Saturday at the Country Kitchen at the intersection of I-90 and Highway 27 in Sparta, so that those who can’t break away on Friday will be able to meet the rest of the group and then ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville as usual.
Dinner on Saturday night will again be at Sam & Maddies next door to “ride central” at the Don Q Inn. The Don Q Inn
generally sets aside about 25 rooms for us at a special rate but will only hold them till September 10, so get your
reservations in early. More details on rides will follow in the next CANs."

Thanx, SWOJO95!  Missed that info.

Putting it on my tentative calendar.

BTW...that weekend would be Oct. 9-11, not 10-12.

2fast said:
SteveJ. said:
Bump....any word on dates yet for the 2015 ride?
...inquiring minds would like to know.  :motonoises: :beerchug:

Comin up?

Maybe...looking at a Bonzai up and back. Arrive Fri early aft, depart early Sunday. Or Iron Butt in one or both directions.

My vacation got all screwed up, was s'posed to be in MN now, had to reschedule for late Aug. Margie had to get a stent put in. All is good now after a scare three days after that.

I'm trying to re-allocate vacation days. This working crap does really suck.

LSGiant said:
Steve

Come on up anytime. Does not have to be the Hunt for the weather to be "perfect"

Also let me know if you want to ride if you are in the "med city". 

LSGiant said:
Steve

Come on up anytime. Does not have to be the Hunt for the weather to be "perfect"
Will be there from the 22nd thru 27th of August. Week night RTE at Kings in Meisville or possibly Sunday the 23rd? Schedule on a day by day basis is iffy at this point. But I'm really Jonesin for a King's Rook burger, seasoned fries and a Shell's or Alaska Amber.

This is a Roadtrek trip but will/should have access to one of my brother's bikes

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm out for the Hunt. Gonna work on hitting the Spider Rally instead.

I'm in for Friday and Saturday nights. Room reservation is made. Nothing like HFRO. All I need now is a reservation for a barber chair.

Tundra Tom said:
FYI, I called to check on rooms for a friend and they only had 6 left.......

Just checked in with them and they are booked, does anyone have a room to share?

Update, never mind. Failed to mention I was with COG and some rooms are being held until the 10th so got my room. Made it 18 out of 20 HFRO rides, wouldn't want to miss one because I procrastinated.
Looking forward to a great ride, great people at a great location.

LessPaul said:
<Bump>

Ride routes, anyone?

If this year is like past years, Dave McClurg will have 3-4 routes sheets available at the either the Don Q or at the lunch spot in Sparta.  For many of us who ride the area regularly, we pick a destination and follow our favorite Alphabet roads to it.

Was kinda hoping to see some routes in advance. Past HFRO threads have some GPS files posted, but I don't have a unit.

LessPaul said:
Was kinda hoping to see some routes in advance. Past HFRO threads have some GPS files posted, but I don't have a unit.

Here's 2 I made. they need some fine tuning yet. I'm practicing and trying to find a good android navigation app to download to and use for turn by turn into my helmet. So far OsmAnd app is the only one that I found doesn't seem to alter what you load into it. I made them on motogoloco.com that seems to work well for making motorcycle routes.

Attachments

• sparta-dodgeville-via-river.gpx
    1.1 KB · Views: 89
  • dodgeville-sparta(1).gpx
    2.5 KB · Views: 86
I've been looking for a way to convert/load gpx files into my Droid's (Razr Maxx, newer) Navigation or Google maps app.  Not coming up with much.  I don't have a GPS unit, just my phone. I'll give that app you mentioned a look.

Anybody been in contact with Dave McClurg? I've tried to reach him thru his contact link on the HFRO event page, and thru an email addy I found. He doesn't show up on a membership search.

Haven't heard back from him, and time's getting short for this ride.

I gots needs, man.  I gots needs.  ;D

I received an email from Dave a few weeks back -  isn't this thread outdated,,,  isn't this the 21st Annual ?????

The last email address I have for Dave is dmcclurg@wi.rr.com
And yes, this HRFO will be the 21st, last years thread was started up and I just went with it.

likesbikes said:
The last email address I have for Dave is dmcclurg@wi.rr.com
And yes, this HRFO will be the 21st, last years thread was started up and I just went with it.

I was wondering -  thought I was in a time machine maybe -  :) thanks for the replay  :motonoises:

likesbikes said:
Tundra Tom said:
Randy and Crew,
This place looks good in West Salem, Just a short ride west on 16 after the Midoro cut.
http://bigboarsmokers.com/

Looks plenty tasty, will put it for the lunch stop Friday for the route between Stillwater and Dodgeville.

Randy,
Do you have a GPS file from Stillwater you can post. (other) Brian Jr. wants to meet us along the way.

Thore said:
Tundra Tom said:
Here are two routes for a Saturday ride. First is from Don Q to Monroe WI. (lunch?) then back to Don Q via New Glarus WI. Tried posting this through Dropbox, let me know what the route looks like....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cc0gm7gyb0g3tn/HFRO%20Don%20Q%20to%20Monroe%20WI.%20%2B%20Return.gpx?dl=0

Just pulled down the route -  Thank you -

Thore, did you load it and check it? I ran it in a third party program and it was not exact. It works great on my Zumo though.

Tundra Tom said:
likesbikes said:
Tundra Tom said:
Randy and Crew,
This place looks good in West Salem, Just a short ride west on 16 after the Midoro cut.
http://bigboarsmokers.com/

Looks plenty tasty, will put it for the lunch stop Friday for the route between Stillwater and Dodgeville.

Randy,
Do you have a GPS file from Stillwater you can post. (other) Brian Jr. wants to meet us along the way.

I have yet to acquire a GPS, the printed version is what I have. Stillwater to West Salem and West Salem to Dodgeville.
Minnesota area riders will be meeting for breakfast at 8:00 at Stillwater Perkins, lunch break around 12:30 - 1:00

Attachments

• South route.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 97
  • North route.txt
    2 KB · Views: 89
I am jealous of you guys.  I was lucky enough to get out this past weekend and rode most of the area that is included in your route.  Actually stayed overnight in Westby because of so many area hotels booked for Octoberfest in La Crosse.  It is just fabulous riding. I am still holding out a slight chance of going along for part of the ride. I got 700 miles in Saturday and part of Sunday, but am still craving more.

Tundra Tom said:
Thore said:
Tundra Tom said:
Here are two routes for a Saturday ride. First is from Don Q to Monroe WI. (lunch?) then back to Don Q via New Glarus WI. Tried posting this through Dropbox, let me know what the route looks like....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cc0gm7gyb0g3tn/HFRO%20Don%20Q%20to%20Monroe%20WI.%20%2B%20Return.gpx?dl=0

Thore, did you load it and check it? I ran it in a third party program and it was not exact. It works great on my Zumo though.

I haven't loaded it on the Garmin as of yet -  plan on doing that tomorrow... I'll let you know ++++  Thank

My roomie for the weekend just backed out, so I have a room with an extra bed. If anyone is in need of a place to sleep, let me know. I'll be happy to split the cost. Be fore warned, I snore badly, so bring earplugs. 2fast has audio from VBR3 to prove this fact.

I'm booked for both Friday and Saturday nights.

Hey, it might be better than sleeping in the parking lot or the plane.

Thore said:
Tundra Tom said:
Thore said:
Tundra Tom said:

I haven't loaded it on the Garmin as of yet -  plan on doing that tomorrow... I'll let you know ++++  Thank

Put the maps into the 590 -  looks great, best I know that is- not ever running these roads before -  map data loads up just fine --  Thanks again to the GPS Masters of the Universe for providing the data - really good stuff guys  :)

Attached is a gpx file of Randy's Stillwater to West Salem (north route.txt) route posted above. It was created in Basecamp and uses shaping points. If time allows I will create one for the southern portion. 

Attachments

• Stillwater to West Salem.gpx
    212.8 KB · Views: 98
  Well, at this time last year I was getting ready for the trip South of the Border to be part of The 20th Annual Hunt for Red October which just happened to become an International Event with my attendance!!
  Will I have been watching the Dodgeville weather and seeing all the posts but having to pass this year has been hard to take. My dad 83yrs had stomach cancer 25 hits of radiation 22 shots of chemo, and all is well!!

This is Thanksgiving up here North of the line and well, lots to be thankful for.
  Last year was an amazing experience  with lots of Spirited Riding , thank god for abs and linked brakes !
To the 3 Brian's Jim,Rodger,Randy Jeff,Tom,Brad and all the rest , I wish I was there this year but family came first.

I had a chance to ride with Todd from Wrenshall 2 weeks back and well that was my HFRO but only in September.

Ride hard but safe everyone , Hope to make the 22 nd Annual HFRO in 2016.

Regards, From North of the 49 th!!

I had second hernia op in March, under warranty!! Mesh implant this time!! Was planning on coming but my mom 's memory has left the building so being the youngest and only kid here I stepped up !  Catch up next year for sure . Brad's work partner(Todd) was sorry that I wasn't attending but had great visit with his family 2 weeks back.

[/quote]

Put the maps into the 590 -  looks great, best I know that is- not ever running these roads before -  map data loads up just fine --  Thanks again to the GPS Masters of the Universe for providing the data - really good stuff guys  :)
[/quote]

Great to hear that Thore. I will be there Friday night. Likely the only Black Suzuki Bandit 1250. :motonoises:

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to Dodgeville on Friday, but I will be there on Saturday.

Attached is the south portion of Randy's West Salem to Dodgeville route.

Attachments

• West Salem to Dodgeville.gpx
    162.9 KB · Views: 82
Back in KY -  Great time -  Great hospitality -- Great people -  Cya all in 2016 @ Nationals - Absolutely be back next time around.....

Mitch

Brian said:
Attached is the south portion of Randy's West Salem to Dodgeville route.

Turns out after riding this route there is an encounter with about a mile or so of gravel halfway through the short but otherwise beautiful route named Spring Valley Rd. before the turn onto Hunter Hollow Rd. highly recommend this road if you are looking for the classic idyllic back country lane, smooth unmarked pavement, no signage, curves, trees close to the road. Will change the route for next year slightly to reflect the gravel. Lots of great roads to explore next year.

HFRO virgin no longer!  Had a great time.  Joined Alan B. for the ferry ride back to avoid Chicago.  Tim, wish you could've joined us.  Rough water & very windy.  Didn't see anyone get sick. ;D
Hope this album link works.  Oops, was trying to link to album, not post 'em all.  I'll figure it out someday.

Flat-spot said:
HFRO virgin no longer!  Had a great time.

Glad you had a great time at the HFRO!

I was wondering if attendees could stop posting on this thread for Last Year's hunt.

Anyone searching for the activities of the 21st Annual HFRO would otherwise miss out on these nice photos!

Matt, a.k.a. MWH

Maybe the Moderator could move this post over to the correct thread?