• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

3000 mile ride

Well, a few weeks ago I decided on taking so me time and took off for an extended trip north while the weather was still good. So I aimed my Connie north from Southern California to Nevada and made my first stop in St George Utah for the night. I am never disappointed with Utah sites because they are all so beautiful, I can never get enough of the many shades of deep browns and reds in the surrounding hills. Woke up the next morning to 30 degree weather, clear and calm and as usual my TPS batteries were reading they were not working due to the cold but after a few miles they warmed up and fixed themselves, a common issue it seems. Traveled up to Riverton Utah to see the kids and the grand kids for 2 days then off to Idaho. Keep in mind that this route is nice if you like desert, desert and oh wait desert. The Utah landscape is a welcome change though. Well back onto Idaho, this part of the trip was a mix of desert, hills and mountains which broke up the views a bit with a stop in Boise Idaho.

After lunch there I traveled onto a town called Baker City which is really in the middle of nowhere. The only odd thing I saw there was at the small hotel I stayed at there were 8 Tesla charging stations all lined up in their parking lot, very odd so far away from a large town. Anyway I guess they know what they are doing. the next day I rode into Oregon and traveled up to the Columbia River and followed it all the way to Portland where I headed north again into Washington and did so me site seeing for a few miles before turning back south to Oregon again for the trip south. Oregon and what I saw of Washington has some really beautiful landscape I must say, well worth going to see. After my time in Portland I stopped at a hotel along the Oregon coast for the night called Newport and found it to be a very nice place to stay over night.

That evening I had my first bowl of clam chowder and found it to be odd in texture but overall a nice meal. From there the next day I set my sites on Crater Lake looking forward to some more mountain roads since this bike performs so well in those conditions. But as luck would have it I saw a report that a lightning storm was headed for that mountain range and the chance of getting caught up in a hail storm was not appealing to me so I diverted due south for the California border. The trip from Newport to this point was especially nice since the roads I was on were mountainous and well maintained which made for a most enjoyable ride. It seemed that the majority of the roads I took were through forested areas where the road was covered in a canopy of trees much of the way. It was like being in a tree lined tunnel which was a nice experience given I was raised in So. Cal. where everything is open with very few tree lined roads.

Anyway upon my approach to the Shasta Mountains I ran smack into the storm that was hitting Crater Lake and rode through about 15 miles of rain with only a little lightning off to my left in the distance. Aside from this weather the entire trip was clear and mild. I must also say that the only malfunction I had with anything was the camera system on my bike where the power converter died but to this point I had over 2000 miles of video so far which was nice. Anyway back to the ride, from there I rode to Red Bluff where I stopped for the night and from there I traveled to Yosemite which was a real treat seeing those sites again after not being there for 15 years. I am always in awe when I visit Half Dome and El Capitan as well as seeing the waterfalls there. After a day of gawking at the sites there, (and I must say visiting this place on a bike is a dream compared to being in a car because you always have a place to stop and enjoy the sites where as you are limited in a car to available spaces which can be hard to find) I went back down the hill to Visalia and slept there.

After eating breakfast that morning I traveled to Sequoia National Park to see the giant trees there and was not disappointed. Those monster trees are incredible both in size and in age given some have been there 500 years or more. It is always nice being in this part of the country where you feel like you are breathing special cool air, it only feels like that there and nowhere else. So I spent the day visiting the entire park which again was great seeing it from a bike and not the confines of a car. So at the end of the day I reluctantly headed west out of the park and rode the remaining miles home to Rancho Cucamonga. It was a very nice road trip and when the weather stabilizes in the spring I plan to do the trip to Yellowstone next year.

Attachments

• El Capitan 1.JPG
    El Capitan 1.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 111
  • General Grant.JPG
    General Grant.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 110
  • Oregon Coast.JPG
    Oregon Coast.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Half Dome.JPG
    Half Dome.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 104
Awesome. You hit some fantastic places on your trip.

8 Tesla chargers? That does seem odd.

You'll need to head back sometime to see Crater Lake, it's worth it. And like you, I noticed how everywhere I went in Oregon on my trip, it was lined with trees. Beautiful.

Thanks for the report! More pics if you got them.

You can see the chargers on Google Earth if you look at the hotel nearest the freeway, they sit between the freeway and the hotel. Weird.

It was great reading about your trip Don! Cool pictures too! When you decide to go to Yellowstone and if you want some company let me know. Glad you had a such a good time!

:motonoises:  :motonoises:  :great:

I will do that when I plan my trip to Yellowstone. The only other bummer on the trip besides my camera system failing, which I have fixed by the way was that I wore out my front tire in 3000 miles. you don't think about the stress all those mountain roads puts on the front until you literally see you tire disappear in 8 days.

Wonderful trip Don.
Glad you got a taste of the NW and are considering riding back to see more.  :motonoises:
Give a COG'er a heads up if you want to meet one for lunch or?

Nice trip report!  Agree with request for more photos, if you have them.

Arabian Red said:
After lunch there I traveled onto a town called Baker City which is really in the middle of nowhere.
The only odd thing I saw there was at the small hotel I stayed at there were 8 Tesla charging stations
all lined up in their parking lot, very odd so far away from a large town.

That's right on the freeway - I bet the Tesla range requires a battery recharge somewhere around there.

Thanks for sharing. It's great to see what others are enjoying and gives us all ideas for trips. I would really like to visit the Sequoia National Park someday. Been to a few of the other places you mentioned. I really like Boise ID, and could live there.  Glad you enjoyed it.

There's another charging station in Beatty NV. Looks like they are trying to put them in every 200 miles or so. No matter how desolate. Great ride though!  :great: :beerchug:

Yeah, I would not have mentioned it other than it striking me so oddly at seeing something like that in such an isolated part of the state. Anyway now that I have my camera system repaired I will take some more time and attach some more pictures of the trip. The first go around was more of a synopsis than a full report, hope to improve upon the original. I espier to make a ride report like Dammit Dan did though that is a high bar to hit.