• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

32 degree ride last night.

Kinetic1

Mini Bike
I put about 80 miles on the new bike last night. Had a great ride and stayed warm for the most part. My feet were a little cold but I was wearing my road race boots. This got me to thinking, with all the heat that poured out of the first gen C14's at the back of the fairing, has anyone tried to cut a hole and put a closeable vent in the fairing in front of your toes to keep your feet warm? It seems there should be a nice vent to be found (like the ones in the dash of a Ford or Dodge pick up) that could go right in there but still be closeable for warmer weather. Thoughts????

My 08 didn't put out much heat when it was in the 30's. Of course I didn't think it was bad in the summer either. My cruiser and C10 both put out more engine heat on the rider than my 08 C14!

I went riding last night also.couple hours.had a blast.
was on my m50. Got to get my c14 together. Probly take
The gopro next time. Lots of fun

I test rode an 09 on a 50 degree day wearing Red Wing work boots and cotton work pants and the heat pouring onto my right leg was downright uncomfortable in town. The left leg wasn't so b

I rode my 08 alot in the hot. You have to keep your knees
Tight to the bike. It blows right over . No burns. My bike
has some homeade highway pegs so my deflectors are gone.

Kinetic1 said:
I test rode an 09 on a 50 degree day wearing Red Wing work boots and cotton work pants and the heat pouring onto my right leg was downright uncomfortable in town. The left leg wasn't so b

Sorry, but...

bsmeter.gif

Jay - that's a bit harsh... Everyone has different heat threshold levels.

My Wing has vents as you're suggesting.  Of course, the Wing is a different beast...but, I can absolutely not feel the warmth, even wearing jeans with no overpants.  When it's in the 30s and 40s engine heat while cruising down the highway ain't gonna make a difference.  Certainly not worth cutting holes in the Connie's plastic.

Good thought though, just not realistic.

S Smith said:
Jay - that's a bit harsh... Everyone has different heat threshold levels.

Sorry Steve, but I have an 09, and I even ride it in the summer months too, and to make a statement that "it's downright uncomfortable in 50 degree temps" is beyond a stretch...

Maybe I have extra hairy legs to protect?
smiley_dunno.gif

Didn't mean to offend you K1, no hard feelings but I disagree with you... my bad.
smiley_smackbottom.gif
  :-*

I have an 09, haven't noticed any heat that makes me uncomfortable. Jeans and work boots....thats about it. But then again I was riding dual sports all my life up until this horse. Maybe I'm immune.

No big deal. Disagree with me if you like. That being said, what I am hearing from some of you makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the unit I rode. Like maybe it was missing a heat shield or something. The heat on my right leg was worse than any bike I've ever ridden.

It's probably easier to change out your footwear and sock type to keep your feet warm than cut holes in the plastic. If you use a good sock that is moisture wicking to keep your feet dry, and then another heavier sock over that and some good boots, you can ride into some pretty low temps without issue.

Agree on the heated gear. I ride year-round and after reading lots of reviews, I bought Gerbling (gloves and full jacket liner). Couldn't recommend it more. Coldest I've ridden in is 26 at ~ 60-70 mph in Yellowstone on my Vulcan (no faring, no hand guards). My hands never got hot, but neither were they cold. Have never felt the need for the pant liners or sole heaters personally.

I ride for the enjoyment of it, so I figure there is just no good reason to be uncomfortable out there!

I use the alpinestars tour boot and alpinestars Sox.
Have ridden 4 hours several times below 32*. A little cold. But
I could have put on an extra sock but really didn't
need it. My issue is my hands.

Did another 200 miles last night. Temps started at 36 and went down to 29. Had on my work boots with heavy socks this time and my feet froze again. I have been avoiding my winter boots because they are so bulky. I guess I will by heated socks. The heated hand grips are so nice. Kept my hands warm all night. I might want a chin cover for my helmet or a baclava and my tourmaster overpant was not designed for cold weather and it shows. I had enough layers on so I was still warm enough but I may have to invest in some more cold weather gear. I had 2 full cold weather suits from cortech and tourmaster that were always great but I don't fit into them anymore and gave one of them to my cousin. Either way I am still haveing a blast and absolutely LOVE the C14. I could never do this on the Tuono ar the GSX-R's  before it.

You can wear all the heated gear but that won't help when you come around a corner and the road is a sheet of ice. With all the rain and snow we had water is running across the roads in unexpected places.

There is a guy that lives about 45 minutes north of me that rides literally all year long. I've seen him out in heavy snow storms even. I don't know what he does for tires  (he must run studs of some sort) but he has a Yamaha cruiser that he has built the biggest plexiglass windshield you have ever seen on. It goes from over his head and all the way down to the fron axle. :-\

We recieved our first real snow last night and this morning......which means no more motorcycle for me this year. I don't need all the salt and calcium chloride on the new scooter.

I have been forced to ride in the cold a few times over the past year. I found that putting my rain gear on over a couple of layers makes a huge difference. Only had the Connie a month or so, but looking forward to using the grip warmers.

Two words: Heated clothing.

I run with the Tourmaster jacket liner and pants liner.  Hard wire to the battery, connect it up while I'm puttin on my gloves and generally getting ready and I'm on the way to being toasty before I even leave the driveway.

Buuuuut...with the amount of salt used on the roads around here, I'm basically done for the season regardless of the temperature.

I rode in to work today it was 18 in Columbus Ohio at 5:30 am. I love riding in cold weather. If you have good gloves and something to protect your neck it is fine. Its going to be nice tomorrow also.

Kinetic I agree with you 100%. I purchased a used 2009 and picked it up in Phoenix and rode it back to Las Vegas in May. I was leery of an 09 but the price was right. Big mistake. Riding in Vegas was even worse and the summer had not yet begun. Within 2 months it was time for a trade in to a 2011. I took a beating on the trade, of course, but the dealer sold me the new one for $12.9 so the hit wasn't too bad. I guess he really needed to sell the new bike. I have ridden the 2011 in 100 plus and Kawi positively made major fairing and heat dissipation refinements. The 2011 has no felt heat on the legs as the new venting throws it well out to the side, and the lower plastic seals the bottom from blasting on your feet. They probably heard about it enough to redesign. They would not have made the changes if it wasn't necessary. As for riding in the cold try a Gerbing heated jacket. Keep the core warm and the rest stays comfortable. Although a light pair of thermal long-johns in addition will work wonders. Nothing, however, will help you with black ice.

Attachments

• MtcyMap.jpg
    MtcyMap.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 50
I have been a year round rider from the get go.  Lived in Alabama where the winters do get cold and rode even in the teens.  Just wore long-johns and very good gloves with layers under my leather jacket.  Only a short ride to work ...8 miles or so.  Will pick up here in Oregon and try to dodge the winter rain.