• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4200+ Mile Roadtrip on 08 C14 Review with GP Suspension Review

ndmiller

Bicycle
About a month ago I started planning a roadtrip (http://g.co/maps/pc8j) to see my sister in SW Portland OR and it finally happened last week so I thought I would post a review.  I did the pre trip oil change (Mobil 1 15W50), final drive oil change (Royal Purple 75W90) along with a relatively detailed honda polish session to get everything non stick for the bugs.

Left Friday, 8/19 at 4am from Frisco, TX (N Dallas) and needed tires in Albuquerque, NM as both front and rear finally succumbed to squaring off from 3500 miles of previous slabbing.  Put on some roadsmarts and hit Farmington, NM for the night (Courtyard).

Farmington to Boise was through CO and UT and the scenery was spectacular with great twisties with some elevation changes for fun (RoadSmarts held up well).  Boise had both Donnie Mac's Trailer Park Cuisine (On DDD) and Spearmint Rhino across the street.

Boise to Portland nice scenic ride, curves, elevation, following the river on 84 all good.

Spent a couple days with sister and dropped bike off with Dave at GP Suspension for some fork internals and Ohlins shock installs.  2000+ miles with stock suspension is great unless you've had better and the bike fought me the entire way.  Fun but harsh front end and soft rear was punishing due to the extra preload to gain control.  Dave is an expert, designs and makes his own parts and gave me a "How It's Made" on the parts he was using in my forks with cad software demonstrating milling from bar stock (COOL).  Dropped bike off at 9:15am and waited and watch dave until sister picked me up at 11am, forks were already apart getting cleaned.  Picked up bike Tuesday at 4pm everything installed and spent about 1 hr shooting the breeze and setting up front and rear suspension.
WOW.....I mean WOW, the forks actually travel, don't just transmit jolts.  First test, lane changes in OR have you crossing center line with divots for reflectors.  Could feel them big time before, after just heard not felt...Nice.  Front and rear are compliant, plush but controlled at speed and in twisties, just how suspension is supposed to work.  Dave is top notch and does great work, would drive 2000 mile to get a suspension upgrade from him anytime and BTW I called him the day before I left to set it up so he fit me in and did me a solid.

OK ride back needed adjustment for heat, so I went northern route, to boise (curves in OR were better faster smoother) and I wasn't as tired as the other way.

Boise to Denver, rain, curves, rain, curves, just cooled off stayed smooth and kept it at 75-80.

Denver to Frisco, long day, tiring, but arrived by 10:30PM unpacked had some wine and went to bed.

THE GOOD
Road Trip....enough said
Aerostich, 10 years old and still going
Courtyard by Marriots easy, clean, inexpensive and let you park under cover with overnight security.
GP Suspension Upgrade
Alaska Sheepskin on stock seat
Autocom
Pandora
Kaoko Throttle Lock
GPS
UT
OR
CO
NM
WY
KS
OK

THE BAD
Fuel Range about 200 miles at 75 MPH making stops at 150 necessary during certain legs
Stock Suspension maybe good by stock suspension standards for the right weight rider, but harsh and exhausting
Metzler Interact Z6's will never by a single compound tire again
TX Heat on way back (105+)

THE UGLY
Stock C14 Seat...criminal just criminal
75MPH bugs (beetle, dragonfly, bumblebee) skirting side of windshield and hitting arms (left a welt through a 'Stich, still can't believe people ride without full face helmets)

WHAT NEVER CAME UP
Famed 08-09 C14 Heat fine even in UT Desert
Hand Numbness at all but I have BMW grips
Drive Clunking
KiPass

Average driving speed ~75mph

http://g.co/maps/pc8j

Right on ND!  :great:

I live in Portland and can also vouch for Dave, he does awesome work! I haven't had my Connie suspension done (yet) but I did have Dave do my suspension on a prior ZX7 track bike and also my street Gixxer, awesome shop and CS, I recommend them too!

Now you've got me intrigued to do my Connie too now...  >:D

Sounds like a great ride,and the sus. work is something I would like to do if you don't mind me asking what was the total cost of the sus. upgrade?

Boy
you went to portland that is a fun ride I ride from salt lake city to seattle once maybe twice per year last time I went to portland I couldnt manage to stay out of jail, did you know that portland is the strip club capital of the country, I need to ride my concourse there more often that way I can visit every club they have, sounds like you made it there in two days how many miles a day were you doing,

I ride with Murphs Riser blocks.

I broke the ride into three days there and back Frisco-Farmington-Boise-Portland and Portland-Boise-Denver-Frisco so about 600-900 miles per day depending on the leg.  Denver-Frisco was the longest from 7:30AM-9:30PM (Mountain was 10:30PM Really) a long tough HOT day.

Total cost of the work was about $2K (parts, labor, tax, Ohlins 2 day shipping for last minute me) based on what I wanted.  Most major shops were in that ballpark from the last 4 months of tire-kicking research I did.  Best upgrade to date with close second BMW grips.  Suspension was a better value. :))

I would recommend calling him up because options are many (Uses Penke's as well, can just mail forks to him, etc...) and he's been doing this for over 2 decades so is a wealth of understandable suspension wisdom and know how.  Dave's website is www.gpsuspension.com.

Noah

I can vouch for Dave at GP Suspension as well. Smart fella that knows his sh!t. He's done sport bikes for me and the difference is night and day. If you've never had a suspension set up for your weight and riding style you will not believe the difference it makes. Do it once and you will want to do it to every bike you ever own.

BALDTIRES said:
Do it once and you will want to do it to every bike you ever own.

Here in lies the problem I've had since doing race tech valves and an Ohlins rear on my 2002 VFR....AMAZING (Better than the Staintunes).  Wilburs on the 1200GS made that bike seem invincible.  SV650 with race tech forks and ohlins rear was nothing short of heavenly in the curves.  Same for the C14, after the suspension work the curves south of Boise towards Salt Lake City in the rain just made me laugh inside my helmet.

If I hadn't done the VFR back in 2002, I never would have known.....

Noah