• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

4900 miles and front tire is shot

Heavy bike aggressive lean angles :-[  believe it or not 4900 seems like a lot, so you got good life out of that one.  Try using more throttle to even out the wear with the back.  Add gas, repeat as necessary.

YMMV,

Noah

Yeah, the 021 on my C14 was toast by 4,000 miles. It was time I ever had a front tire actually wear out before the rear on any motorcycle I've ever owned. Then I bought the FJR (It also came with OEM Bridgestone BT-021's). The front was wearing even worse on that. Not to mention the rapid handling degradation as the miles added. I changed those at only 1,400 miles, since the handling was getting soooo bad. I looked at that front and it was almost on the wear marks already.
    Although I had my suspension set up pretty good. The bike went from a very nice handling bike to having to muscle the bike through turns very quickly. I never had such a drastic change in tires so quickly. And I was riding pretty mellow since I was on a trip. By 1,000 mile, I couldn't wait to get home and change those tires.  I think I noticed the tire degradation more on the FJR after being through it on the C14.
    I've since used both Angel ST's and PR3's on the bike. Both tires wore great and made for smooth riding, great handling and decent wear. And the front tire doesn't wear out before the rear. Although it's almost time for another set of sneakers and some fresh fork oil. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks.

Look at this as a blessing. Get those 'Stones' off that bike. I changed my oem tire at 900 miles. I called them 'breakin tires'. Put some good rubber on your 14 and enjoy gettin on the gas early out of corners.

My stock 021s were into the carcass on the front tire at 6100 but the rear had a little left. I put on 023s which after 7400 miles the rear is smooth and the front still has about 2/32 on it. I know Bridgstones are junk, so no need for anyone to remind me, but I was quite pleased with the tread wear and handling of the 023s. Especially at $230 for the pair. Bought a set 023 GTs ($217) this time around to see how they do. I'm averaging 6 months on a set of tires, so if they aren't great, no big deal. They'll be changed out soon enough.

Scott

Looks like the PR3's are the most popular.  Since we don't have much rain in So Cal though do I need the rain sipes? The PR2's look almost odentcal except for the rain grooves,

The day before I picked up my 2012, I took a pair of PR3s to the dealer, and said, "You will put these on for me free, right?".

After looking at me hoping I was joking, and seeing I was serious, the owner agreed. "Can I have the brand new Bridgestones off it?"

After looking at him like he'd just asked a silly question, I said, "By all means, keep them!".

Good riddance.

For me there was a BIG difference between the PR2 and PR3 front. The pr2 cupped out bad and wore down to the wear bars in spots just off of center. Both pr2's I tried wore the same and were changed before 5k miles. The PR3 wore even and was so much better. Lasted me over 7k miles. Both the 2 and 3 rear lasted about 5500 miles and felt about the same with the 2 maybe having just a bit better feel....my rears are 55 aspect ratios... I am thinking a 2 rear with a 3 front would be ideal for mine....

you got that much , i have yet to get over 3000 miles , im trying the BT020  right now and hope to have more miles out of this tire

I installed a set of Avon Storm II Ultras (dual compound) from Jake Wilson back in Feb and this is my third set for the connie since purchase.  I now have just over 8,000 miles on them and both front and back still look very good with slight cupping visible on front.  I have been very happy with all aspects of these tires and have a new set waiting to go on the bike when these are done.

Phil, you spelt the Subject line wrong.
What it should say is
"4900 miles and the front tire is sh!t"  :rotflmao:
Ditch that OEM POS BT021 and fit a real tire to that wheel.
PR2, PR3, AngelST, StormII, RoadSmartII, they are all better than the BT021 by a huge margin.
My personal choice is the PR3 but I ride in the wet a lot, for my sins! ::)

Mine went just as fast, but the new Battleaxe with the varying compounds is great.
I rode out to CA from OK and was appalled at the wear of both the front and the back. I was under a tight timeline, the tires had to be replaced, and all I could get my hands on were the new Battleaxe's. I was NOT happy I had to purchase them! HOWEVER, I have now put just shy of 4K on these and they are doing great and rapidly changing my mind.

I too wore out the stock front tire before the rear on my 2009 (about 4500 miles) and it brought my attention to the suspension on the bike was jacked WAY out of adjustment (way too soft in the front and way too firm in the rear). I set it at 35mm front and back, but to get there with my weight (255lbs, 5'10") I am half a turn from full firm on the front adjusters (full stiff basically) and I am only in about 6 clicks on the rear shock (almost full soft).

I have since replaced the tires with RP3's, so I am expecting much more even tire wear.