• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

5 Week Sort of a Ride to CO, UT, NM Late July and August

SteveJ

Heading out west to get my mountain fix, it's been way too long.

This is "Sort of a ride" cuz I'm gonna cheat and take the Roadtrek with the KLR in tow behind me. I just don't feel like 3000+ miles of plains riding in 90-108* temps.

I plan on rolling into northern NM probably around the 24th, leaving Flowriduh on about the 20th of July. I'll be departing for parts hot and humid early on the last week of August to hop on the C-10 and hit the trail to RWTW, Spider, and probably the Arkansas get together in Mountain View.

Will base camp near Taos a few days then work my way north staying a few to several days at each location, generally USFS sites. If anyone is in the neighborhood feel free to shoot me a text and hook up. I'll have a shower available, probably room to pitch a tent for free, and a selection of decent beers to choose from. 352 9 seven 3 81O3.

Along that line, if anyone has a fairly level spot and an outlet to plug in the A/C for the night in north central TX, I would be appreciative. Heading across from Texarkana through Wichita Falls to NM. I do travel with decent beer. :great:

Thank you sir but a bit too far out of the loop.

Relocating to near Winter Park(CO not FL😋) tomorrow.

Then on toward Leadville Aspen area.

Well That puts the Sacto CA M&G out of the question then. :) Day ride in Spanish fork UT Aug. 6. Let us know if ya need something during your visit. :great: :beerchug:

Old Man on a Connie said:
Well That puts the Sacto CA M&G out of the question then. :) Day ride in Spanish fork UT Aug. 6. Let us know if ya need something during your visit. :great: :beerchug:
Thanx Mark. The only thing that will be a need is a couple of tires for the KLR, most likely. That would be about three weeks out, thinking Moab or Durango, possibly Taos/Santa FE. I'll see as the time draws near.

Man, you're carrying this "enjoying retirement" thing way too far!  :beerchug:

Safe travels, Steve!

Whaddya mean? I'm gonna be home for a full week just before leaving on Wed after Labor Day for the SE/NC/SC rally trifecta. That will be the old fashioned way, C-10 and tent. Sh/be gone about 3+ weeks on that one. Then that's it until  the 3-4 month sojourn to the far west of US and Canada next year. Again with the Roadtrek and KLR.

So much for summer time RTE breakkies.

Hanging near Montrose co for a few days yet at the Cinnamon CG twenty miles east of Montrose. Yummy riding

Hey! Were you riding north on 92 above Curecanti yesterday? Cliff and I were hauling the mail with a purpose to get to Colorado Springs for the rally finish cutoff. Hope you did not see the crazy lady in the old sedan we passed shortly before that. In Colorado Springs planning our westward roll over to Arizona before turning back east. What you say?

Following up on this now that I have internet. Randy, Cliff and I crossed paths the next day, out in the middle of nowhere.

A salute to Davis Service Center in Montrose, CO. Lindsey in parts was quite helpful obtaining a couple of tires and receiving a package from Amazon for me. The shop had me on the road in less than two hours and also caught a problem on the fresh EBC brake pad. It seems it was hanging up and needed to be  deburred.

Anyways, in the free town campsite in Stinnet, TX, sucking on a cold one and enjoying the AC. Headed back to the swamp in Flowriduh. Thank you, Stinnet.

Sounds like retirement is definitely your cup of tea (or beer ) Steve. See y'all in Dec.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

mr t said:
Sounds like retirement is definitely your cup of tea (or beer ) Steve. See y'all in Dec.

Tom Taylor COG#7173
It does not suck. Tea, iced and slightly sweet. And yes, beer. Just arrived home yesterday evening.

Fixin to leave on the Connie Tues or Wed after Labor Day for the RWTW, Spider, and Arkansas trifecta.

After that, staying close to home for most of the non-summer season except for a few days in the Keys after Turkey day.

Looking forward to seeing you this winter.

It was nice running into you in the middle of nowhere in Colorado Steve. See ya in GA, MO & AR.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
It was nice running into you in the middle of nowhere in Colorado Steve. See ya in GA, MO & AR.

Cliff  :beerchug:
Yup. Weird, huh? And twice, no less. See ya.

If you're going to do Hwy 92 through Crawford to Hotchkiss go west to Hwy 65 (I think) and do Grand Mesa.  Marvelous!

Dam! I got all excited, I thought this was this year!, I'm planning on heading to NM around the end of July and doing some riding up and down the Rockys. Thought i might catch a ride out that way.....bummer.

Rico said:
Dam! I got all excited, I thought this was this year!, I'm planning on heading to NM around the end of July and doing some riding up and down the Rockys. Thought i might catch a ride out that way.....bummer.

Too funny.

Heading to Big Bend tomorrow, hit Cliff's and the CONClave on the way back.

Heading to AB, BC, WA, OR, etc. the end of May.