• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

7* Exhaust Sprockets; Is anybody interested?

connie_rider

I think I've found a way to reproduce the 7* advance exhaust sprockets that Steve used to offer.
My thought (to keep the costs down for everyone) is to drill "slightly" used sprockets instead of buying new and drilling them.

Thoughts??

Before I do so, is anyone interested in getting one?
(ie; No sense in me doing this if no one wants them)

NOTE's:
1) I am not saying that I have the solution. I just "think" I've figured out how to reproduce them.
2) I talked with Steve and got his permission before looking into the idea.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
These are a nice addition to the C10. I've done 3 or 4 of them, 2 of them are on C10's I still have.

Ted, I have half a dozen cam gears from parts bikes that might come in handy for you to start building some inventory.

Thanx Stasch. I'll be in touch if I get enough interest to pursue it.

Austriamach3, the shipping may cost you more than the machining. But if I do this, mebbe we can work something out.

Ride safe, Ted

I may be interested.... What's the benefit of the cams, performance wise? Top end, or midrange?

-x01660

What we're talking about is not the cams themselves. Steve discovered that you could change the Exhaust Cam Timing to gain low/mid-range torque and drilled special Exhaust cam gears to do that.
Unfortunately, there are no more of the modified gears available.
I've got 1 of the gears and was considering using it to have some drilled to for others.

This discussion was started to see if there was any interest, but only a few replied so I dropped the idea.

Ride safe, Ted

PS:
There were some specially ground cams built by Steve.
His Torque Cam was built to improve low/mid.
His Power Cam was built to improve low/mid & gain some peak power.
Like the Cam Gears. They are no longer available.

What we're talking about is not the cams themselves. Steve discovered that you could change the Exhaust Cam Timing to gain low/mid-range torque and drilled special Exhaust cam gears to do that.
Unfortunately, there are no more of the modified gears available.
I've got 1 of the gears and was considering using it to have some drilled to for others.

This discussion was started to see if there was any interest, but only a few replied so I dropped the idea.

Ride safe, Ted

PS:
There were some specially ground cams built by Steve.
His Torque Cam was built to improve low/mid.
His Power Cam was built to improve low/mid & gain some peak power.
Like the Cam Gears. They are no longer available.

It would appear I joined COG a few years too late.... I'd LOVE to put those cams and timing gears in my bike. Along with your header mod project, and the 7th Gear mod....

ALWAYS looking to get more performance out of a bike...

Oh well. đź« 

-x01660

If you want more power, do a baffelectomy and the free Power Mod.
Both will help the low/mid power and cost nothing.

I already have the Free Power mod done by the PO. As for the baffelectomy, I think I'm gonna keep my stock cans, and get a set of shorty Delkevics to swap in and out; I run DoorDash on a daily basis, and having a quiet bike is really good not only for myself (in terms of drone), but also for the neighborhoods when I'm delivering at night. I live off of a pretty major street, and even I get irritated by the unmuffled BRRAAAAP of dirtbikes and quads riding by. And that one Mercedes C class driver (lowered, black with gold rims, blacked out tint all around) who literally drives by with his door cracked, revbombing and popping his purposefully enriched exhaust. Daily.... Gotta be considerate. :)

-x01660

The baffelectomy is not very noticeable. Definitely not loud.
It barely increases the sound level, but gains a bit of (Low/mid) torque and about 1 peak HP.

Ferabern just sent me the information I needed to drill the Exhaust gear/Sprocket.
Thank you Ferabern!!

Most think that the new holes are advanced XX* from the center off a tooth.

I suspected that was incorrect.
** I suspected that the new holes are advanced XX* {more} than the original holes, (not just advanced XX* from the center of a tooth).

I can see from his information that they are advanced as I suspected and (more importantly) "now" I can see how the drilling was done.

PROGRESS!

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If anyone is wondering why we would want to advance the exhaust Cam?
The simple answer is the idea is to get better low-end torque.

(This was sent to me)
"Understanding why we are advancing the exhaust cam"
Reducing overlap by closing the exhaust valve sooner will trap more of the charge in the cylinder at lower rpm.
This doesn’t affect the compression ratio, but it does affect compression pressure.
Remember that torque is based on cylinder pressure.

The higher the pressure, the higher the torque will be.

Last edited:
If you get some made, I may be interested. I reached out to Steve recently, and he said his shop burned down and he's out of the business for the time being.

I just bought a 2002 Concours, and am going through it this winter, and making some upgrades as I go.