• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

87 ninja 600

Pat and Sher in Ma

Hi Fellow Coggers, I picked up a 1987 ninja 600 and it has a bad fuel tank. My question is what is the difference between a US tank and a Canadian tank? The price is about $80 less for the Canadian version but I'm wondering if something (fitting wise) is so different it won't work on a US bike. Well I checked the fiche again and I was wrong in my (CN) Canadian question. It looks like that would be a California part so now I'm asking what the difference is between the 49 state tank and the California tank? Thanks for any advice, Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 84 Guzzi T-5

Sweet - can't wait to see it on Thurs! Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Hi Greg, Thanks, I put some pictures of it on webshots: http://rides.webshots.com/album/568869229MAwWpc?vhost=rides The pictures came out a little dark even with flash so I'll take some more over the holiday weekend before I start to tear it down. So now I just have to figure out if I can use the California tank and save some money or if I have to stay with the 49 state US tank, I also need to find a nice original exhaust system for it, I hate the V&H thats on it. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

The main difference is that the CA tank holds liters, and the US tank holds gallons. :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Pat - it may have something to do with emission (CARB) requirements. IIRC, California models may have a carbon canister to recirculate or filter tank vapors. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director, AMA, MSF RC (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Hi Steve, I figured out that the California (CA) version does use the canister and has two extra fittings on the right rear of the tank. I'm guessing that I can block both of those off (vent & return) and be OK but if anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

IMHO, it was designed to be a closed system. Since you are in effect removing the charcoal canister, is it possible to use a piece of fuel line to connect the vent to the return? -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director, AMA, MSF RC (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

Pat & Sher in MA wrote; I figured out that the California (CA) version does use the canister and has two extra fittings on the right rear of the tank. I'm guessing that I can block both of those off (vent & return) and be OK but if anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it.
As long as it has another way to vent you should be OK. Typically evaporative systems prevent the tank from venting to the atmosphere with out going through the charcol cannister. If so you could plug one of them and run a vent hose down and out of the way.

Hi, Steve, I'll look into connecting the two but I think after looking at the basic diagram that connecting the two ports would prevent any tank venting. Looks like rneal55555 might be right about plugging one and running the other down to the swing arm as a vent. I'm waiting on another manual to double check all of this but I really appreciate all the help. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

Probably best to look up diagram in the manual. I've seen it both ways on cars & other bikes where the canister is vented to outside air or gas fumes are recirculated back into the system to be burned. Not sure about the Cali Connie. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director, AMA, MSF RC (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif

Well looking through the Haynes manual none of the CA tank lines vent directly to atmosphere. They run to a liquid/vapor separator and then back to the tank or charcoal canister which in turn runs to the airbox and carbs. So it looks like the return port could be blocked off and the breather hose to the liquid/vapor separator could be run to atmosphere. The only other issue would be that the breather hose could release raw fuel if the tank is over filled. Thanks again for everyones thoughts on this, These are the types of things that really make this group stand out from all the rest. Oh and if anyone has any more info please feel free to add it here. Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5

Looks like all the parts I need for my 87 Ninja 600RX are NLA. If anyone here knows of any 600RX's for sale or parts (specific color for 87) like a fuel tank, front fender, etc. Please let me know. Thanks Pat & Sher in Ma. 04 Dark Angel 87 Ninja 600rx 84 Guzzi T-5