• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

9/7 - 9/9/12 Memories of Dan and the Twistiest 32 miles in Virginia

kwn306

Moped
Memories of Dan/Twistiest 32 miles in VA

It has been a long time since COG has visited Willville Motorcycle Camp, so the time has come.

You should arrive Friday afternoon or early evening and enjoy the peaceful setting of the campground.

After a good night’s rest Friday evening and a hearty breakfast on Saturday morning we will head south down the BRP into North Carolina. After a short stint in North Carolina we will head northwest back into Virginia. Once we are back in Virginia we will head for Rt. 16 towards Tazewell, VA. Rt. 16’s claim to fame is being the twistiest / crookedest 32 miles in Virginia (think Tail of the Dragon just 32 miles long).

After lunch in Burke's Garden we will travel through Burkes Garden. FYI, Burkes Garden was the original choice for the Biltmore Estate which resides in Ashville, NC; but the farmers in the area would not sell off their property to the Vanderbilt’s.  It has also been called “God’s Thumb Print.”

Enough of the history lesson, this is where the asphalt surfers and the DS Boys separate on the way back to Willville Motorcycle Camp. The DS Boys will take the road less traveled (dirt / gravel / fire road) leaving Burke’s Garden, while the Asphalt Surfers will stay on the tarmact and surf their way back to Willville.

You are about to ask about the “Memories of Dan” part of the weekend aren’t you?

The owner of Willville M/C Camp (Will) shows his appreciation to all the campers at his facility by having a “Memories of Dan weekend.” This includes a meal (normally a Stew or Chili) on Saturday evening; all he asks for is a small donation to cover his costs for food.

Will needs 10 days notice for the head count so if you are planning on attending and want to join in the Memories of Dan camaraderie please RSVP Kurt Nordstrom @ 540-582-9414 or kwnsdn@gmail.com not later than August 29, 2012.

Sounds like a great trip Kurt.  You're right about 16.  I ride it every chance I get heading up to WV from NC.  Have fun!

The Burkes Garden store and place for lunch closed last December.  I was up there in May looking for lunch and the place was closed.  It was the perfect place for a lunch stop. 

Actually, I won't be coming. The guy that runs the campgrounds never called me back to let me know a room had been freed up, so I have no place to stay. I cannot camp.

Which is ok, its the weekend before a big ride for me anyway.

Well I guess the lunch stop will be moved to Tazwell, I went to the counties web site and there are plenty of places to eat  :))

I am going to Marlinton over Labor Day weekend.  I have laid out a route to go down to Tazewell then ride 16 north back around to Marlinton.  About a 340 mile day of riding  :motonoises:  ;D

That'll be a loooooong day Jerry.  Are you by yourself?  I took a group from Marlinton down 219, then 64 over to Beckley, then 16 all the way to Tazwell.  By then, the group was worn out and we did 460 and 77 the remainder of the way back to Charlotte.  We didn't make Tazwell until about 2.

Is this a camping event?  Is there a motel close by?  My back won't allow me to sleep on the ground anymore.  ;D

Sport Rider said:
That'll be a loooooong day Jerry.  Are you by yourself?  I took a group from Marlinton down 219, then 64 over to Beckley, then 16 all the way to Tazwell.  By then, the group was worn out and we did 460 and 77 the remainder of the way back to Charlotte.  We didn't make Tazwell until about 2.

There will be three maybe 4 of us.  We will have 10-12 hours to do the ride, all seasoned ironbutt riders, but if we get tired we know to stop.

hlh1 said:
Is this a camping event?  Is there a motel close by?  My back won't allow me to sleep on the ground anymore.  ;D

Yep a camping event, I will surely miss the land yacht this weekend, the wife and I are tenting it. 

But there is a motel across the street and down the road about 100 yds., it is called the Blue Ridge Motel. 

There is a camp ground right next to Willville for RV's and they have cabins as well, I think it is called the Blue Ridge Camp ground.  The wife and I stayed there a few years ago and it was nice.  If the cabins are as nice as the camp ground that is probably the better choice over the Blue Ridge Motel.  I haven't been to the motel since about 2007 or 08 and it is veeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry dated  ;D  That is about as politically correct as I can be  :)

Come on Coggers lets get off the fence..............................that pine board with the point on it is not healthy to the prostate  :D :D

Send me your RSVP's

Darn it man, i would love to go and meet you all , sounds like a great ride too. Im riding up to Ohio that weekend to see my Son.

XxCAM45xX said:
Darn it man, i would love to go and meet you all , sounds like a great ride too. Im riding up to Ohio that weekend to see my Son.

Tell son to head south, better riding  :great:

Have fun in DC Dusty, looks like we might have a wet weekend, you will be missed.

Thanks for the routes, I have one heading up RT 16 to Tazwell then  into Burke's Garden.  The general store in Burke's Garden is now closed, I guess not enough business, so that leaves Tazwell for lunch, guess we can find some Mom and Pop Choke and Puke for lunch.

kwn306 said:
Have fun in DC Dusty, looks like we might have a wet weekend, you will be missed.

Thanks for the routes, I have one heading up RT 16 to Tazwell then  into Burke's Garden.  The general store in Burke's Garden is now closed, I guess not enough business, so that leaves Tazwell for lunch, guess we can find some Mom and Pop Choke and Puke for lunch.

Geez, I still feel bad about recommending the now closed Burke's Garden place.  But as long as I'm on a roll .... Big Daddy's is a good lunch dive spot, a classic COG kinda mid-ride stopping point.
Big Daddy's Family Restaurant
1727 Adria Road, North Tazewell, VA
(276) 979-9191

There is also actually a restaurant in Hungry Mother State Park, but I have personally never stopped there.
http://www.hungrymotherparkfriends.com/facilities.php#restaurant

Thanks for the suggestion Dusty, we will keep an  eye :-\ out for Big Daddy's.

Sue and I are leaving about 7:30 or 8:00, then head into Mineral, VA for breakfast and then squirrel are way down southwest to Willville.  Should arrive mid to late afternoon for a cold brew  :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Hope to see you at the Brr Ride.

Hey, how did this weekend turn out?

We blew by on the Parkway Saturday afternoon on our way home from 9 days down in the smokies.

Ran into a BIG storm around Roanoke. Thought of you guys camping.............

Jason

Jason,

We only had about 30 minutes of rain at Willville on Saturday evening, just after dinner and it was very light.

While eating lunch Saturday afternoon in Tazwell the bottom fell out of a cloud and it poured for about 45 minutes and then became a lite drizzle.  It made us rethink the route and make a detour because we thought the gravel roads might have been washed out.  We ended up with about 260 miles for the ride on Saturday.

That RT 16 from RT 81 up to Tazwell is a blast, it's better than the Dragon, plus it is 32 miles long, it really keeps you busy and on your toes.

The Memories of Dan dinner on Saturday night was well attended and the food was great.  There were about 50 at the campground for this weekend, only three Coggers though.

Glad you guys stayed dry.  we were in and out of rain all day up in WV, riding from Grafton to Warm Springs VA.  Only 175 miles, but it was still a good day.  only got damp and no big problems.