• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A funny thing happened

bert

Tricycle
on my way to the Yamaha dealer.

Wait!  I'd better start again.  I posted this introduction over at the FJR forum, I think it tells my story:

"My name is actually Bert, but since it's already been appropriated by an earlier member in this forum I've decided to use another moniker, Western Rider.  Sue me.

I've got a problem. I've been lucky enough to have visited 47/48 states, which means there are two/three missing.  You'll notice I'm a bit confused about whether I've been to 47 or 48 states.  The issue is Arkansas, and perhaps senility. While I have vivid visual memories of 47 states, for some reason, although I think I've been to Arkansas, my memory is totally blank from that experience.  So that means if I'm going to take a trip, and I am this year, to knock off the two states I am certain I've never visited, Maine and West Virginia, I simply have to add Arkansas to the itinerary.  It would suck to reflect on my travels throughout the country only to draw a complete blank, and wonder, about Bubbaland.

The other problem I have is that I'm going to travel by motorcycle, and the steed in my garage, a shiny 2010 Ducati GT1000, don't ask, is not suited to haul a 70 year slightly worn carcass from Waterworld, aka Portland, OR, to Portland, Maine via Quebec City, and then to San Diego, CA via West Virginia and Arkansas, and finally back home.  Sure it's doable by some stud with an iron butt.  I'll sell him my Duc if you'll give me his address.

So I'm shopping for an iron horse appropriate for a 8,200 mile journey for a happily retired, if afflicted by a faulty memory, senior citizen looking for adventure.  No, I've already owned two Goldwings so those are out, both too close to the automotive experience.  Also out are BMW's, not because I don't like them, indeed I've owned three and have put ~110,000 miles on them, enjoying every mile, but because 15-20 large is close to my budget for the trip, but that includes a motorcycle, fuel/oil/tires, lodging, food, GPS, compact notebook computer, and maybe even an Aerostich Roadcrafter riding suit.  I suppose I could drop the 20 large or so on a BMW but then I would have to sleep under bridges and dive in dumpsters for food. 

Then there are the rumors of computer and other problems with the current generation BMW K tourers, not a good thing when their dealer network is thin in all the wrong places, the places I'll be riding.

I love the sport-touring experience, my favorite all time bike was a 2003 BMW K1200RS, simply a fantastic machine, which brings me to the FJR.  At the moment a FJR1300A is at the top of my list, followed, perhaps, by a Concours 14.  Both bikes, the FJR seemingly more so, promise to deliver the things I loved most about that KRS in a more modern package.

So I've been lurking here as a visitor for a couple of weeks now, seeking guidance and insight into the FJR, finally deciding to join so I can strengthen my learning experience, and if I push the button, perhaps share my experience with the bike on the road this coming summer."

A guy just might get the idea I like the FJR.  Well, yes I do, but 'he who must not be named' works in mysterious ways.

Surfing the net for bargains I found the Droid I had been looking for, a 2010 FJR selling for $3,000 below list.  So last Thursday I hopped in my cage to go buy one, checkbook in my pocket and headed an hour south.  Yes, I chose to ignore all the comparison tests which ranked the C14 ahead of the FJR, that liquid silver color clouded my vision.

Guess what?  Yes, that 2010 had been sold.  Just "hours" before...but we have this shiny new 2011 for full list....  Damn!  So I dragged my carcass back home and hopped on the web, my antenna seeking yet another bargain Droid.  And I found one Friday morning, only about 130 miles north, in the exact opposite direction, a 2009 for another $1,500 off.  Wow, I've already saved $4,500...although I have to kiss the liquid silver goodbye, that 2009 only comes in black...

which becomes my mood after I pick up my phone and call the dealer.  "Yes Sir, we have that in stock butwhenweboughtitatauctionitwasdeliveredwithoutthebags... which will cost you an additional $1,000...along with fees for shipping and setup...and the auctioneer's fee and....

CLICK.

Two screaming deals on FJR's, two variations on the 'bait 'n switch, yes, the web site of the first dealer is still dangling that "sold" 2010 FJR out there as bait as of this morning.  My spider senses were telling me that perhaps Yamaha hadn't been as selective as they might have been when it came to selecting dealers to move their product, and maybe these same dealers would try to rip me off during the entire ownership experience.

So I thought hmmmm, while I've got some time why don't I reread those comparos, and change the search criteria to Concours 14?  Yes, the C14 continued to win all of those shoot-outs as I remembered. Now what do we have here, a, no, make that two, 2009 Concours 14s, a red and a black, available for even less money than either of the FJRs, only $10,800.  Maybe I should take a look, back into the car I hopped, and by noon Friday I was sitting astride a red 2009 Concours 14, right next to a 2010 so I could do a direct comparison.  Yes, I've read about the heat, but, now living in Waterworld, Portland, OR and planning future excursions into Canada, not the issue it might be for a rider living in Phoenix.  Yes, those heated grips can be installed on a 2009.

And so it is, I found my iron horse for my journey this summer.  And pulled the trigger, that red 2009 will be parked in my garage likely this coming Wednesday. 

And confirming that I made the right choice, when I registered here in the COG forum I don't have to use an alias,

my name is Bert.

That's a great story. Welcome Bert. I hope you consider COG membership and if the timing is right you can hit the club national rally this summer.

Hi Steve.

Not wanting to curse myself, I'm going to wait until I'm sitting on my red 2009 in my garage before I prop my notebook on top of the tank and enter my credit card info for a full COG membership.  Wednesday?

Bert

Bert said:
Hi Steve.

Not wanting to curse myself, I'm going to wait until I'm sitting on my red 2009 in my garage before I prop my notebook on top of the tank and enter my credit card info for a full COG membership.  Wednesday?

Bert

LOL - sounds like you will fit well around here...

S Smith said:
Bert said:
Hi Steve.

Bert

Where and when is the National Rally?

Bert said:
S Smith said:
Bert said:
Hi Steve.

Bert

Where and when is the National Rally?

August 8-12, Vermont
Click here for 2011 COG National home page

BTW - We held the 2007 COG National in WV... IIRC, the ride routes from the rally are posted in the member library.

Welcome aboard Bert!  It's a shame that the two dealers tried shady dealing to keep you from your bike. But as you find the C14 is a pretty good bike. Maybe not as good as the FJR though! >:D  (watch the flames burn now)

Really now I had a C14. It was a nice bike. Now I have an FJR. It is also a nice bike. So you probably would have been happy with which ever bike you bought, since they are very close performance wise. And very close every other way too! But I will admit that the C14's 09 Red is awesome! And you still don't have to sleep under the bridges! (I loved that part!)

B.B.A.R. Take 2 said:
Welcome aboard Bert!  It's a shame that the two dealers tried shady dealing to keep you from your bike. But as you find the C14 is a pretty good bike. Maybe not as good as the FJR though! >:D  (watch the flames burn now)

Really now I had a C14. It was a nice bike. Now I have an FJR. It is also a nice bike. So you probably would have been happy with which ever bike you bought, since they are very close performance wise. And very close every other way too! But I will admit that the C14's 09 Red is awesome! And you still don't have to sleep under the bridges! (I loved that part!)

I agree, I think it was a win-win choice, the bikes are thisclose in capability, either would be perfect for my journey.  I'm a happy camper.

Bert said:
Hi Steve.

Bert

Welcome Aboard Bert!! Hopefully this finds you sittin pretty aboard that Lucious piece of Red Hot Motor-Candy!  ;D I sat on 3 Concours' today at a dealership in Dallas (Irving) I just looked up but alas.. I'm still 192,000 miles away from such fine machinery.. ConRad and I have quite a way to go yet! (5K a quarter= 20K a year X 10 years to 200K) Perhaps a 3 year old 2017 C20 is in the works... :p  (a man can dream!)

Enjoy that liquid power! Glad to have you here!

Doug & ConRad

Bert said:
Hi Steve.

Bert

Well, it's red and it's sitting in my garage.  Full membership completed.  Finito

Welcome to COGdom Bert. At 70 yrs young, you're an inspiration to all us 60yr. old whipper snappers ;D

Another ride you may want to consider is the Bun Cooler, the first "official" ride of the PNWCOG bunch in the spring. Check out the PNWCOG calendar for details.

Cheers,

Frogz said:
Welcome to COGdom Bert. At 70 yrs young, you're an inspiration to all us 60yr. old whipper snappers ;D

Another ride you may want to consider is the Bun Cooler, the first "official" ride of the PNWCOG bunch in the spring. Check out the PNWCOG calendar for details.

Cheers,

I celebrate my 70th in May, and about the time of the Bun Cooler I'll be making my final preparations for my Go for Fifty Tour which starts the first week of June, the first leg a detour to visit my grandkids in San Diego before heading off to Arkansas, West Virginia, and Maine.

But there's 2012, and my plan to ride to Alaska via Prince Rupert and the ferry system to Whittier.  Zoom zoom.

My C14 still has zero miles on the odometer, to be rectified with the first appearance of the yellow orb.

1156852843_cmNWd-M.jpg

Bert said:
My C14 still has zero miles on the odometer, to be rectified with the first appearance of the yellow orb.

Man, you are a stronger man than I Gunga Din.

Rev Ryder said:
Bert said:

Yeah but you have a big ol garage that in the same weather constraints you could ride around in circles or 8's for hours on end to keep yourself amused... at least till the carbon monoxide kicked in.  :p

doug said:
Rev Ryder said:
Bert said:

Yeah but you have a big ol garage that in the same weather constraints you could ride around in circles or 8's for hours on end to keep yourself amused... at least till the carbon monoxide kicked in.  :p
True....
Except right now, all of the furniture I own... virtually EVERYTHING we own is inside that shop plus part of it was turned into living accomodations for the wifey and me and the two cats, Target and Spot.  You can barely walk around in here.

Rev Ryder said:
Bert said:

First ride on my new Concours 14 today!  Only 50 miles dodging the rain showers amid the sun beams but at last!  I bought the C14 because I wanted to replicate the wonderful riding experience I had with my departed 2003 BMW K1200RS.  Mission accomplished, I hadn't been on a motorcycle for almost three months and I wondered how I would adapt to a machine as powerful as the C14, and as different from the grosserwagen Goldwing & now the  little Ducati I've been riding for the last 4 1/2 years. 

It was like going home again, everything was so natural, so effortless.  The riding experience is very similar to that K1200RS I loved, and the differences all good.  The C14 is more agile, even with the stock 021's, and noticeably more powerful. Really a wonderful wonderful machine that will be perfect for my journey to explore my heritage in Maine.

I also was once, I think?, in Arkansas... or maybe not!  >:D

Nice lead in and introduction and nice bike, nice ambitious ride this summer. I've had the notion to do another really stupid ride and try a IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast from the most western point to the most eastern point on the lower 48 states, that being Cape Blanco, OR, all the way to Lubec, ME, in less than 72 hours.  Although my routing will not take me (assuming I can get the kitchen pass, the time and the money!  (all minor issues.....) anywhere near Arkansas if in fact this ride becomes reality I Will think of your exploits and subsequent trip through the edge of Arkansas. But this time document it!

Welcome to the monkey house.  ;)

2linby said:

Nice lead in and introduction and nice bike, nice ambitious ride this summer. I've had the notion to do another really stupid ride and try a IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast from the most western point to the most eastern point on the lower 48 states, that being Cape Blanco, OR, all the way to Lubec, ME, in less than 72 hours.  Although my routing will not take me (assuming I can get the kitchen pass, the time and the money!  (all minor issues.....) anywhere near Arkansas if in fact this ride becomes reality I Will think of your exploits and subsequent trip through the edge of Arkansas. But this time document it!

72 hours?! 

I've got 8,000 miles to cover.  Let's see, that's averaging 111 mph.  Well the bike will do it but.....gasp.  Did I mention I'm going to be 70?  :)

Slybones said:
Shouldn't you be starting from Cape Alava?

You cannot ride a motorcycle from there (it is a trail that does not allow motorcycles that is):  From Wikipedia:

Cape Alava and Ozette Island Cape Alava, in Clallam County, Washington, U.S.A., is the westernmost point in the contiguous 48 states, with a longitude of 124° 44′ 11.8″ W (during low tide and walking out to the west side of Tskawahyah Island). The westernmost point is located in Olympic National Park and the Ozette Indian Reservation. Cape Alava is accessible via a 3-mile (5 km) boardwalk hike from a ranger station in the park.

Cape Blanco is a prominent headland on the Pacific Ocean coast of southwestern Oregon in the United States, forming the westernmost point in the state. It contests with Cape Alava in Washington for the title of westernmost point in the contiguous United States. This contention is due to land shifts and measurement anomalies as well as whether to measure at high or low tide. Most sources believe Cape Alava is more westerly.

Therefore in order to "ride" Cape Blanco is the point.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's good for my mental health to be reading these stories. I bought my '11 C14 almost three months ago and still haven't even seen it! Maybe I should go to where it's stored in it's crate and pat the sides of the box. This winter is killing me!

Collybus said:
I'm beginning to wonder if it's good for my mental health to be reading these stories. I bought my '11 C14 almost three months ago and still haven't even seen it! Maybe I should go to where it's stored in it's crate and pat the sides of the box. This winter is killing me!

Following your story is killing me.. Bike in a crate.. Box full of farkles and no end to one of the hardest winters in decades.. (Dern Glogal Warming.. I smite you Al Gore!  >:D ) We have had incredible weather for the Dallas Texas area.. SuperBowl is snowed in.. but we have 40 degrees coming this afternoon.. A week with the bike shut down is almost more than I can take. I couldn't imagine 3+ months of it!

doug said:
Collybus said:

Following your story is killing me.. Bike in a crate.. Box full of farkles and no end to one of the hardest winters in decades.. (Dern Glogal Warming.. I smite you Al Gore!  >:D ) We have had incredible weather for the Dallas Texas area.. SuperBowl is snowed in.. but we have 40 degrees coming this afternoon.. A week with the bike shut down is almost more than I can take. I couldn't imagine 3+ months of it!

I feel your pain and raise you an additional month of winter, since I'm in Boston.  So, my farkle frenzy continues. Last week I went to the Boston Bike Show and purchased a First Gear armored jacket and pants. Early this week I bid on and won (woohoo) a set of leather headrests from a 2010 Volvo sedan; I will use one to fashion a backrest attached to Phil's Rack as illustrated by someone in the ZG/GTR forum. If I can duplicate their work, it will be very cool. The leather headrests match the Baldwin seat just about perfectly. There's probably more, I can't keep track anymore...  8)

2linby said:
Slybones said:

You cannot ride a motorcycle from there (it is a trail that does not allow motorcycles that is):  From Wikipedia:

Cape Alava and Ozette Island Cape Alava, in Clallam County, Washington, U.S.A., is the westernmost point in the contiguous 48 states, with a longitude of 124° 44′ 11.8″ W (during low tide and walking out to the west side of Tskawahyah Island). The westernmost point is located in Olympic National Park and the Ozette Indian Reservation. Cape Alava is accessible via a 3-mile (5 km) boardwalk hike from a ranger station in the park.

Cape Blanco is a prominent headland on the Pacific Ocean coast of southwestern Oregon in the United States, forming the westernmost point in the state. It contests with Cape Alava in Washington for the title of westernmost point in the contiguous United States. This contention is due to land shifts and measurement anomalies as well as whether to measure at high or low tide. Most sources believe Cape Alava is more westerly.

Cape Alava is listed at 124° 44′ 11.8, during low tide
During high tide Cape Alava is about even with Cape Flattery which is listed as 124° 42′ 52
Cape Blanco is only listed at 124° 33′ 50
Thats 9 to 10 arc minutes. Hardly a contest, low or high tide.

2linby said:
Slybones said:
You cannot ride a motorcycle from there (it is a trail that does not allow motorcycles):  From Wikipedia:

Yes you are correct, but once again please read the( in this case, very fine and RED   print)

Bert said:
2linby said:

72 hours?! 

I've got 8,000 miles to cover.  Let's see, that's averaging 111 mph.  Well the bike will do it but.....gasp.  Did I mention I'm going to be 70?  :)

70?  That means you've got the experience to pull it off, right? ;)
Will your travels take you anywhere near central WA the 4th weekend of July?  We would love to see you show up for the Northwest regional rally in Wenatchee.

Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Bert said:
2linby said:

72 hours?! 

Will your travels take you anywhere near central WA the 4th weekend of July?  We would love to see you show up for the Northwest regional rally in Wenatchee.

Actually I just might be in Washington that weekend, my current plan puts me in Spokane on the 3rd.

2linby said:
2linby said:
Slybones said:
You cannot ride a motorcycle from there (it is a trail that does not allow motorcycles):  From Wikipedia:

Yes you are correct, but once again please read the( in this case, very fine and RED   print)
Bob, I think he was suggesting Cape Flattery... wherever that is.  Of course, I'm in Texas and only Superman has a cape here. ;)

Its about 3/4 mi walk from the parking area out to Cape Flattery. So Bob will not be able to ride from there either. Did that this last summer. Been out to Cape Alava too. 

Cape Flattery is the most northern / western part of WA in the top corner of Olympic Peninsula.  If'n ya went to my home page in the link in the sig, and found the Olympic Nat'l Park and Cape Flattery link you can see a photo album with some pics. The last page has Cape Flattery.  Our Niece was here from Germany. Camped with the truck/trailer at Kalaloch beach, with visits Ruby Beach, Hoh Rain Forest, Rialto Beach/ La Push, and Cape Flattery.

Bert said:
Charlie_Gary_NWAD said:
Bert said:
2linby said:

72 hours?! 

Actually I just might be in Washington that weekend, my current plan puts me in Spokane on the 3rd.

We'll be in Wenatchee beginning the 22nd and breaking ranks the 25th if you're interested in hanging out with a bunch of riders who have varying degrees of commitment to Connie ownership but otherwise are reputed to be a decent group. ::)