• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

A new helmet, small write up

Scubadoguk

A few weeks ago I bought a helmet from Cycle gear A Bilt Explorer https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-explorer-adventure-helmet I was taken by the peak and built in sun shield and the price a whopping $69 :)
So what’s it like? well after I had fitted the sena I was pleased to say the interior padding was easy to remove and replace and having read the reports from the ADV rider site I had put Loctite on the small screws on the exterior to keep them in place it was time for a ride.
Well the helmet is not as loud as I had feared ( I wear ear plugs) your own opinion may be different but for me it’s only slightly louder than my scorpion exo1100, the visor is easy to use and the seal is good in the dry as for the wet I cannot say but if I get caught in the rain I will let you know.
So visor down on the road and another good feature was noticed the side to side vision is great, seems the big opening in this style means better side and vertical vision also I did not notice any distortion because of the shape of the visor another win then and the peak makes blinding sun a thing of the past, the drop down sun shade is good but the slide is not a polished and as easy to use as on my scorpion but it works and stayed closed and sprang up when needed.
The vents on the helmet were not easy to use on the go and I did not notice any difference open or closed and even after the mod suggested on ADV rider site, finish seems good, overall very impressed with the purchase let’s see what happens over a few thousand miles.

Scubadoguk said:
A few weeks ago I bought a helmet from Cycle gear A Bilt Explorer https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-explorer-adventure-helmet I was taken by the peak and built in sun shield and the price a whopping $69 :)
So what’s it like? well after I had fitted the sena I was pleased to say the interior padding was easy to remove and replace and having read the reports from the ADV rider site I had put Loctite on the small screws on the exterior to keep them in place it was time for a ride.
Well the helmet is not as loud as I had feared ( I wear ear plugs) your own opinion may be different but for me it’s only slightly louder than my scorpion exo1100, the visor is easy to use and the seal is good in the dry as for the wet I cannot say but if I get caught in the rain I will let you know.
So visor down on the road and another good feature was noticed the side to side vision is great, seems the big opening in this style means better side and vertical vision also I did not notice any distortion because of the shape of the visor another win then and the peak makes blinding sun a thing of the past, the drop down sun shade is good but the slide is not a polished and as easy to use as on my scorpion but it works and stayed closed and sprang up when needed.
The vents on the helmet were not easy to use on the go and I did not notice any difference open or closed and even after the mod suggested on ADV rider site, finish seems good, overall very impressed with the purchase let’s see what happens over a few thousand miles.

It's $109 now.

Hey, I'm good.  I only have a $50 head.  Ask my wife.  ;D

However, she did see fit to allow me to have her door prize at the Nationals which is one of the new AWESOME KLIM carbon helmets.  They aren't actually out yet, but soon I'll have a way fabulous helmet for my $50 head.  They come out in October so I should receive it about then.  I'm excited.

I spent a lot of time comparing the Bilt to the Shoie.  Basically the same helmet and features with a $400 difference in price.  My must haves were Quiet, Quality and Safety.  It may not be worth $400 more to anyone else but it was to me.  The Shoie was quieter, MUCH better built and just felt safer to me.  The quality of the drop down visor visually was worth $100 more to me.  Good optics make a difference on a long day.

rick said:
Rev Ryder said:
Hey, I'm good.  I only have a $50 head. 

A penny for your thoughts?
Wow! BRILLIANT!  That's how I can make a living. Maybe I can do a two for one sale. I'll make twice as much.I've got to write this down...