• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aarrghh!!

gbyoung2

Thinking the bike was all ready for my multi-day trip over through WV, that “illusion” was dashed a day ago when getting ready to run some local errands. Having backed the bike out of the garage, mounting up and starting it, I thought I noticed that the headlight beam projected on the garage door changed intensity when I swung the bars around to back the bike off the apron. To be sure of what I saw, I swung the bars back and forth a couple times and got what I thought I had seen to repeat. Poo! Not exactly sure what was causing it, but I certainly wasn’t going to head off on a trip with this type of unknown electrical problem. I went ahead and ran my errands and when I got back, I started the troubleshooting process.

Narrowed it down to the main harness that feeds all the connections to the bike’s instrument cluster, it branches off to the headlamp, turns signals, bar control switches, etc. That harness is routed up along the steering stem so every time the front end of the bike goes through its back-and-forth motion, that “cluster” of wires flexes to follow that motion. Nothing was apparent where a number of those wires terminated, but something was definitely wrong in the center of the clump because the light changed intensity when I jostled it around by hand. Finding the culprit involved removing the mass of wires’ ancient electrical tape, and what was left of a brittle wire loom.

IMG_1495-L.jpg

It paid off. I found that a wire had broken at an OEM crimp connection where they had formed a junction with 4 of the harnesses’ ground leads. The broken end of the wire was making an intermittent connection with its original crimp connector when the harness was jostled around.

I’ve repaired the break and re-wrapped the bulk of the harness with tape. I’m waiting for a length of larger wire loom to come in so I can finish this little project so I can get back on track for my trip.

IMG_1501-L.jpg

Bike checked out okay yesterday and I'm headed out in about an hour for a 2-hour ride over towards the Bay. Staying at a friend's river house on the Piankatank River this evening. Approaching 97 and is hot as Hades out there, but some cold libations will take care of that once I get there. Unfortunately, that area of the river isn't a section I'd want to swim in to try and cool off..... hence the cold libations.

EDIT: View of the river from his screened in back porch. Even tho' it was warm, there was a nice breeze that made things comfortable. Their dock is the one to the right that has a covered electric boat lift.
IMG_1514-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bud
Electrical gremlins make me shudder. This can be a very difficult and detailed job to diagnose and fix. Thanks for the story and pictures. Glad that you were able to get the "patient" back to health and ready for the tour!