• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ACISROC- not so invincable anymore

acisroc

Sport Tourer
Well it started off as a great ride and day, but when I got home not so much! Beautiful weather outside, put in a painting job bid not far from my house. We have kind of a narrow driveway and coming down the slope to the garage I clipped my wife's car in front going by it.  I normally don't ride with my saddlebags on but since I repaired them with the bolt trick I have been leaving them on. Saddlebag on left side caught the car and over I went down the slope to the right. Broke my  right antler off and scratched my right mirror in the mud.
            Was not expecting that. Tried to lift it up and the bike died. I had to go in the house to get my wife to help pick it up. 
              Then the phone rang and it was flivver asking if I wanted to go for a ride. Sure, come on over I said.
    He came over without his bike, had a small problem himself. My bike smelled like gas and would not start so I took off the air cleaner and It started. Prolly flooded. Put back the air cleaner and started it up in front of John he said it sounded better than his bike, seemed to idle a little nicer. So I will have to get an antler and John will have to get a side stand switch before he can ride. Maybe next weekend :)

Flivver makes a great witness, Flivver is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Oh man. NOT cool... Hate that for  you. There is not a good time for that. Any damage up front? Lots of guys report the corner of the top fairing gets cracked where the mirror mounts and sometimes the fairing gets jacked sideways a little. (Don't ask me how I know... :( ) Even a hair is too much. Sorry brother.
Ron

Side stand switch: bypassed. I'm done with 'em!  Looking forward to riding with you, sir!

Sorry to hear about your drop, though. It didn't look too bad, thankfully, and the Wizard ought to be able to fix you up with a replacement antler.

ACISROC is cool!

Sorry to hear about your drop. I just dropped mine and broke the foot peg bracket. Wizard had the part I needed for less than I could get it elsewhere. Unfortunately I had already bought it.  :-[ So good luck getting it fixed up and hope to see you out there somewhere soon.

ron203 said:
Oh man. NOT cool... Hate that for  you. There is not a good time for that. Any damage up front? Lots of guys report the corner of the top fairing gets cracked where the mirror mounts and sometimes the fairing gets jacked sideways a little. (Don't ask me how I know... :( ) Even a hair is too much. Sorry brother.
Ron

Yes ron203 a little crack by the mirror, I think it had a crack there before but the small piece came off and I glued it in place. Looks like someone had jb welded it before me. Thanks ron203

ron203 is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Definitely Flivver, give me a call when you go!!!

Flivver is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Steveman said:
Sorry to hear about your drop. I just dropped mine and broke the foot peg bracket. Wizard had the part I needed for less than I could get it elsewhere. Unfortunately I had already bought it.  :-[ So good luck getting it fixed up and hope to see you out there somewhere soon.

Thanks Steveman, cool name !!! 
                                                    Steve

Steveman is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

I'm sorry about your drop, Steve. I'm glad you're okay and didn't get hurt - other than your pride. I've been there and have done that - twice, with my previous C14. I almost did it a third time after installing Canyon Cages and Rear Bag Guards on my current bike. I was pulling away from a gas pump and didn't realize how close the rear of the bike was to a big, fat steel post just past the pump. The bag guard bumped it lightly, but kept the bag from hitting it. Since then, I've given a wider berth to the back end of the bike.

Just like my ever expanding belly, it's hard to realize sometimes how big we are. I actually got my name in my 20's when I worked in a topless bar. it's a great story I'll have to tell in person sometime. Maybe at a national rally

Steveman said:
Just like my ever expanding belly, it's hard to realize sometimes how big we are. I actually got my name in my 20's when I worked in a topless bar. it's a great story I'll have to tell in person sometime. Maybe at a national rally

I'll be in Helen the 20th thru the 23rd Steveman  :great: :great: :great:

Thanks Bigfoot_16  I have to remember a larger berth  Bigfoot_16 is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

I also have an antler at home but I can't remember if it's a right or left. Mine was broken but I repaired it.

So...it's official that Ranger Jim and Sport Rider might have one full set of antlers between them?  (There's something funny sounding about that...)  :rotflmao:

So today my back is a little sore, but the antler I need is the right side when sitting on the bike.  Thanks for checking guys. :)  Next thing you know someone will be chiming in with something about a CDA # :rotflmao:

ACISROC said:
So today my back is a little sore, but the antler I need is the right side when sitting on the bike.  Thanks for checking guys. :)  Next thing you know someone will be chiming in with something about a CDA # :rotflmao:

Not if you hit a car.

NO CDA for you!  :nananana:

Matt

Sorry to hear you dropped it.  Glad your not too hurt.
I'm not looking forward to dropping mine.  :banghead:

OK now I feel really dumb asking this - but WHAT IS AN ANTLER?
I'm going to have to assume that they are only on C10's as I can't remember them ever being
talked about when referring to a C14.

Is that a slang name for a bike part?  Is it called an Antler in the service manual?

I have been wondering for a long time about what an antler is.  I have looked over many many posts hoping
someone would spell out what one was - but I have yet to come across anyone saying exactly what an antler is.

Does anyone have a picture of an antler?  Since they are worth a thousand words?

Karl,
It is the cast aluminum part that the bags attach to. Sort of an "L" shaped bracket, they break with some frequency it seems. Especially when you drop or crash your Connie into your wifes' car!  :-[

Matt

mattchewn said:
Karl,
It is the cast aluminum part that the bags attach to. Sort of an "L" shaped bracket, they break with some frequency it seems. Especially when you drop or crash your Connie into your wifes' car!  :-[

Matt

Ha Ha Matt key word being "dropped" not crashed lol

Mattchewn is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Thanks SilverConnieRider.
                                        Just like what Matt say's the bracket the bags attach to on a C-10.

SilverConnieRider is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

SilverConnieRider said:
Sorry to hear you dropped it.  Glad your not too hurt.
I'm not looking forward to dropping mine.  :banghead:

I'm going to have to assume that they are only on C10's as I can't remember them ever being
talked about when referring to a C14.

Is that a slang name for a bike part?  Is it called an Antler in the service manual?

I have been wondering for a long time about what an antler is.  I have looked over many many posts hoping
someone would spell out what one was - but I have yet to come across anyone saying exactly what an antler is.

Does anyone have a picture of an antler?  Since they are worth a thousand words?

It's the mounting rail that each side bag hangs off of.  Some C-10 owners actually keep the factory supplied pieces that you can install when/if you want to run without bags  if you take the mounting rail (antler) off the bike. Most people never seem to install them and you may find them getting passed along in the original factory wrapping when the bike changes hands. When I sold my 2000 in 2015, the OEM panels got passed along to the fourth owner.

mattchewn said:
Karl,

Matt

Feelin' the love Matt, feelin' the love....  :hee20hee20hee:

ACISROC, that's why those 'covers' come with the bike... ditch the bags till you get the antler replaced.  RIDE!

Mcfly said:
mattchewn said:
Karl,

Matt

Feelin' the love Matt, feelin' the love....  :hee20hee20hee:

ACISROC, that's why those 'covers' come with the bike... ditch the bags till you get the antler replaced.  RIDE!

Yes Mcfly but my bike did not come with the covers.... and my trailer hitch is a part of the antler system but of course I will ride without them.

Mcfly is cool :great:  :great:  :great:

ron203 said:
Lots of guys report the corner of the top fairing gets cracked where the mirror mounts and sometimes the fairing gets jacked sideways a little. (Don't ask me how I know... :( ) Even a hair is too much. Sorry brother.
Ron

+1
(don't ask how I know also)

SilverConnieRider said:
Thanks for asking, Karl. All this time I thought an antler was a handlebar. Just goes to show I had no clue.

ACISROC,

Man, sorry to hear of your mishap! Glad you're ok!

There used to be a YouTube video where a guy was riding an FJR down a boat dock ramp, turns a corner too sharp, and hooks the bag on a post! Tumbles over the side of the dock, bike and all, into a boat!

From here, watching... it's pretty funny! :rotflmao:

But, sure it wasn't from his seat...  :-\

I imagine it wasn't too funny for you, either...?

Hope you get it fixed back soon. I've often feared doing just that very thing, myself!
Bob

Thanks C14lvr,
                    I am guilty of laughing at that video too when I found out he was not hurt.  Mine was more of a drop at 1/2 mph. I just coasted past the car with the bike in neutral, slow, slow, slow, and lost my balance when I got surprised by the saddlebag grazing the wife's car.  She was nice enough to help me pick up the bike so of course I did not say anything about parking closer to the house to leave me more room. :rotflmao:

C14lvr is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Steve, after reading this description of your mishap, I don't know why it doesn't qualify for the infamous CDA award. Chip Doc, what's your ruling on this?

The requirements specifically state not a crash. Making contact with anything, (including the wife' car) dictates a CRASH, and not a drop. You dropped it resulting from the impact therefore it is not a drop it is a crash. sorry dude. Chip? your ruling? 
ASISROC is cool if WHEN he stops crashing his Connie!!  :-[

:great: :great: :great:

Matt

Matt, 1/2 MPH and he bumps into his wife's car while in neutral? Really? Hey, you're a club officer and I'm not. I'll defer to your superior judgment.

Regarding your last line, you crack me up!  :rotflmao:

Ha Ha I am not going to go outside and push the bike over to qualify :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You guys are all too cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

Bigfoot_16 said:
SilverConnieRider said:
Thanks for asking, Karl. All this time I thought an antler was a handlebar. Just goes to show I had no clue.

No problem. 

I was guessing it was only for the C10 as I never heard about it on a C14.

Since no one answered - I will ask again.

Is an Antler a slang word or is it called that in the service manual?  Just curious......

ACISROC is your driveway paved or gravel?
Could you have gone around the car on the other side?

I was thinking if you could mask off a section to paint a line on the driveway then ask your wife to please
try and park to the left (or right0 of that line - then when you came home if she was over the line you would know
that you can't make it through and either need to go around the other side if possible or you have to move the car.

Just trying to help you out, and make it bulletproof so that can't happen again.

If you could post a picture of the setup I wouldn't have to guess if my idea is even a remote possibility.  :D :rotflmao:

SilverConnieRider,

Antler is a slang for the brackets on a C-10.  :)
                                                      We have a longer steep driveway that is paved but only wide enough for one car. If I parked the Subaru in the center, and opened up both doors on each side, That would be the width of the driveway. It only leaves me like 3 to 31/2 feet to get around the car. Can only get by on one side because of the house.

Snapped the left side "antler" on my last drop, which fully demonstrated what happens when you stop too abruptly while not being squared up after executing a tight u-turn to get to a parking space  :-[  the part that points toward the ground snapped off.

I just fixed it with a mend plate, some drilling and some countersunk bolts and flexloc nuts. Plus a little loctite on the nuts. And maybe in the future I'll slather the whole repair in JB Weld and repaint it.  ;D

ACISROC is cool 'cause he 'fessed up  :great: :great: :great:

Thud 300 is cool :great:  :great:  :great:  He fixed his antler instead of buying another one :beerchug: :) :great:

ACISROC said:
SilverConnieRider,

Antler is a slang for the brackets on a C-10.  :)
                                                      We have a longer steep driveway that is paved but only wide enough for one car. If I parked the Subaru in the center, and opened up both doors on each side, That would be the width of the driveway. It only leaves me like 3 to 31/2 feet to get around the car. Can only get by on one side because of the house.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, SilverConnieRider,. one side of the driveway is the house and the other is a steep hill.

ACISROC, I just saw this post. Quickly came here to check on ya.
                        Are you ok?

I heard you "crashed" your bike into your wife's car.

Did she beat you up after you "crashed"?  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

I am fine Ted, thanks.
                                My back is a little sore from trying to lift it off the hill but my wife came to my rescue and we got it upright. It was more of an awkward bump at slow coast speed that pushed me over. But just tell Mattchewn I had to have been doing at least 75 mph in the driveway.
              Thanks Ted ;)

connie_rider is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

ASISROC,
Are we still awaiting final say from Chip?
Inquiring minds want to know. 
Only 75? Getting slow in your old age now are ya?  ;)    :))

Matt

Yes Matt I guess I am still waiting, not sure If he follows any of my posts or not....I go overboard sometimes or maybe it is coincident ... but the D.O.T sure locks a lot of posts where I have been :) (innocent smiley).

The good news is my business is up and running and starting tomorrow I won't have so much free time on my hands.  I landed a 50 hour + job for my first local customer painting. 2 blocks away and they will be my first local reference.

Back on topic, maybe I am better off without a C.D.A. # because if they give you a sticker it might junk up my bike :rotflmao:
Mattchewn  is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

"they" don't give you a sticker but I would send you a patch, (provided you buy it from the COG store).
Matt

mattchewn said:
"they" don't give you a sticker but I would send you a patch, (provided you buy it from the COG store).
Matt

Me likes me patches we'll see what Chip say's. :beerchug:

Chip is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

ACISROC said:
mattchewn said:
Matt

Me likes me patches we'll see what Chip say's. :beerchug:

Chip is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:
Maybe i can get one made special for you  CCC, Connie Crashers Club. Initiating member #001 !!!  :))
Matt

:):))
          And COG "In crowd"  :rotflmao:
Matt is getting cooler every day  :great:  :great:  :great:

Maybe i can get one made special for you  CCC, Connie Crashers Club. Initiating member #001 !!!  :))
Matt

No, no, no. He can't be number 1. I crashed/totaled my first C14 over 13 months ago. Besides, there are lots of other guys/gals who've crashed and/or totaled their bikes long before that. Hey, maybe we need a Connie Crashers Club and a Connie Totalers Club! I know, let's call them CCCNSA and CTCNSA. What's "NSA"? Well, that's to make the name make more sense than CDA - Not So Anonymous!

If it wasn't for bad luck this week I would have none at all. So I ordered an antler to replace the one that was broken and the new one came in the mail- In two pieces :mad:  That's the USPS for yah! 

I  guess I will not going to get a CDA number either ??? ??? ???

And the Panthers lost, prolly from my bad luck :rotflmao:

Albert King - if it wasn't for bad luck, wouldn't have no kind of luck - and if it wasn't for real bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all

I wonder what kind of bike he rode :D

ACISROK, maybe your not so unlucky.
Was the Antler insured?
If yes, use the insurance and get a new one..

(But I can't imagine how USPS could mistreat an Antler enough to break it?)
Did they run over it with a truck?
  (PS: Go Denver)... <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider and kz,
                                It was purchased from a COG member and he is going to send me another one. It was sent priority mail so it is insured. My post office said not to return it, notify the sender to file a claim and hang on to it for now, Don't send it back in the mail or they wont know when the damage occurred. Hang on to it until resolved.

It was insured for up to $50.00        Steve

No problem Ranger Jim,
                                  I have another on the way :beerchug:

Ranger Jim is cool  :great:  :great:  :great: