• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Add me, I guess

ben78

Tricycle
So I was driving to work on my normal route, and on one of my regular left turns just about as soon as I began to lean into it, I found myself sliding across the asphalt. I really have no idea what happened. When I looked back at the road, I expected to see a patch of gravel or oil or something. The only thing I can think of is that the paint on the road must've been slightly damp. The bike isn't terrible. The left bag took the brunt of it. I also broke off the left foot peg. Needless to say I am still pissed. I've got pictures that I can post. My insurance deductible is $500, and I'd like some input as to whether I should file a claim.

Sorry Ben, looks like the people who have not dropped their  Connie is getting fewer and fewer. My deductable, full coverage is down to $188. I do not think I would tell them in the same situation, I am going to end up paying more than the bike cost me in a few years or give it to them totaled. IMO ???  E-Bay my friend. ;)

Sorry to hear about the mishap Ben. 

Also, I believe you don't qualify for a CDA number in this case as you were moving.  CDA is for someone who is standing still (or barely moving).  The experts will correct me if I am wrong.  :great:

Glad you weren't hurt.  :great:

I changed my deductible from $500 down to $200 and it cost me $8 more per year.

As far as to claim it depends on how much the damage is.  If less then $600 or 700 I would pay it, then reduce my deductible and
count it as a lesson learn.  Some insurance give you a freeby and others raise your rates right away.  Check it out before you decide.

Going to work - was it cold and damp - moisture on the road might not be visible in certain lighting conditions. 
How far was it from home?  Did the tires have a chance to warm up? 

That paint they use to stripe the roads is "slicker than frozen snot" - or so it's said.  I can't confirm or deny it since, living in Florida, I have little experience with frozen snot.  But those stripes are plenty slick down here in the rain, dew, and even Glad you're ok and the damage was relatively minor.  But I'm afraid that SportRider is correct, and I'm happy to announce that you do NOT qualify for the uncoveted CDA Award this time.  The CDA FAQ specifies Less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed) and it's pretty clear from your description that you were driving through a turn when this incident happened.  Your incident is a Crash, not a Drop.  Don't worry though, most of us will encounter a Drop sooner or later.  Glad you weren't hurt and that Connie's damage is relatively minor.

My Connie was lowered by the previous owner and he didn't shorten the side stand, so I need to be careful on inclines.  I wasn't paying enough attention last week and the bike fell over while I was loading the left bag, breaking the right rider's foot peg bracket and the right mirror bracket.  The footpeg replacement was easy but the mirror replacement looks more involved.  Per a previous post, do I only need to remove the windshield, the fairing pockets and the instrument panel screw under the windshield to get to the mirror brackets once I rotate the instrument panel toward the tank?  This sounds too easy.
Thanks

First off, welcome to the forum, rmoore - glad to have you here!

It'd be a lot easier to answer your question if we knew which model of Concours you have - the C10 (2006 and earlier) or the C14 (2008 and later).  Once I find out, I'll pop this message out and use it to create a fresh thread in the proper (C10 or C14) section for you so more people will see it.