• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding a charging port

jamesworful

I want to ad charging port for my phone/gps. Problem is, I have no idea where to pull power from for this project. Also, if anyone knows where I can get one I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

There are a set of accessory leads under the left faring pocket. Note that they're always live, not switched. Also, I'd keep the amp draw low. Like around 7 amps max. A gps and phone should be fine.

Thank you!
Is it possible to ad a switch in the line?
A switch wouldn't be too difficult to add with whatever wire harness you fabricate. Initially, I just used a cigarette lighter socket, routed the wires through the drain hole in the pocket and used crimp on male bullet terminals to tap into the accessory terminals. You're looking for wires with the female connectors. The black and yellow is ground. I think the positive is white and blue? I never had any switch, I just pulled out the USB charger between rides. Later on, I installed an additional fuse block and wiring that could power more accessories. That was rigged with a relay to only power up with the engine running.

On my C10, I soldered a wire to the hot side of one of the front running lights; I then used this to drive a relay. The relay switched battery power on/off to an auxiliary fuse panel.
This shut off all power when the ignition was shut off.
From that fuse panel I drove auxiliary lights (LEDs), GPS, heated grips, and air horns.

Reactions: Bud
I'd start by adding an auxiliary fuse panel, cuz once u start adding electrical farkles you won't stop...lol. next itll be aux lights, louder horn...like Jorge did

I'd start by adding an auxiliary fuse panel, cuz once u start adding electrical farkles you won't stop...lol. next itll be aux lights, louder horn...like Jorge did
I did the same thing. I use the rear brake light switch for my trigger. There is a bullet connector just above the switch and I made a "Y" connector to put inline. No cutting/ splicing wires. GPS, aux lights, Cig lighter or muti usb power port, all turn off with the bike. During shutdown you can select the GPS so stay on with its battery.