• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding heated gera to my C14

bobpetit

Has anyone bought and connected a heated jacket to your C-14. My wife and I bought the Tour Master heated jackets and when I looked at the C14 manual, it says you can only connect a maximum of 70W to the bike or you will discharge the battery. The jackets each draw 76watts. Is that a misprint in the manual or is that true. Anyone know the real deal. I'm no electrician.

Wiser people than I will reply to this, but after a little research I discovered that the 70W maximum is for the dash outlet, not the bike. There's more juice than that available, but whether it's enough to run both liners simultaneously w/o draining the battery I don't know.

I believe the C-14 has 580 watts max output. So you shouldn't have any issues with wiring in your electrics. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I know this was discussed xxx but was it ever determined what the total was and what was available in excess of what the bike needs ?

Thanks for input guys. I guess I'll find out the hard way. I wired it up and ran with one jacket. I didn't see any degradation on the battery. It maintained voltage without issue. I'll try to ride this weekend with the wife and test them both out.

UPDATE: Well I took a cool ride and ran my jacket and the heated grips on high. I did see the battery go down to 13.8 volts when I stopped but it went right back up to 14.4 volts while I was moving. The weather got warm so I haven't had a chance to test two jackets and the heated grips all together yet but so far the bike seems to handle the load.

From where did you wire the power? Did you use the Cigarette Adapter from the dash or another source? ~Moto Madness 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14; Black, ABS 2008 BMW F800ST Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt @ 70 mph can double your vocabulary

Well the final test was a success. I wired both jackets directly to the battery and put a relay in-line for both feeds so that the power would disconnect when the bike was off. I tied the relay's to the accessory power under the seat. I didn't like the idea of having the jackets live when the engine was off. I ran both jacket as well as heated grips and the battery had no issues with the load. It went down to about 13.5 volts when I was just idleing at a light but as soon as I started moving it went right back up to 14.4 volts. After a nice toasty ride I have to say Tour Master heated gear is GREAT. Can't wait for the ride to Bar Habour, ME next week.

Hmm looks like I should have jumped in here a long time ago. ;) My wife and I EACH have full sets of Gerbing's heated gear - gloves jackets pants and socks. I have a small fuse block wired to the battery (with a relay so it's off when the bike is) and tucked under the plastic, and the gear wired into that. We have successfully run both entire sets at once with no problem, while running my Autocomm and Zumo. Granted we don't do that a lot, but we have done it with no adverse effect. Just don't leave it cranked on high while sitting at stoplights and you shouldn't have any trouble. :) John 2008 Concours14 "Conundrum",2006 Blue ZX-14 "Zexy" COG # 6819,AMA # 840034,ROK # 398016 PROUD owner of a Concours14 - 41k mi. and rising and I LOVE IT!!!
VisitedStatesMap.jpg