• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adding LED's as forward conspicuity lights?

SVonhof

I have been thinking of adding LED's to the front of the bike, away from the headlights to make the bike more visible. I don't want to have laser beam style lights that blind everyone, so I don't want super high power (lumens) or anything.

I found these little guys on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0SQ9IW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A298YGRJF3C3AU&psc=1
611b1xd8KtL._SL1500_.jpg

71nqxSU0mKL._SL1500_.jpg

3 watts each, 60 degree spot size. I would have them pointed slightly down as to not annoy oncoming traffic. I was thinking they could be mounted to small holes in the side of each fairing and use quick-disconnect wiring so I could still remove the fairings. Or maybe have them mount to where the reflectors are on the side of the front wheel?

I didn't get any responses, so I decided to get some.

Installed them today and I like them. They are not made to be headlight replacements, but I wanted to spread the light around to add to the front image and change the color to make sure people notice me.

They are small, if they fail, I only have a 3/8" hole in the fairing that they are mounted in.

I have to wait until it's dark to see if I need to modify the pointing. The listing says a 60° degree beam, which is pretty wide, so I am thinking pointing won't do much! I will also try to get a comparison of the lights on their own against the garage door when it gets dark and then the headlights as well. I know the phone's camera will adjust the lighting, but it's better than nothing.

I keep looking at new vehicles coming at me on the road. When I see one that I think will fit down under the front I will browse the local junkyards or a parts house and see how much. Wife's KiA had great led s coming at you and the new Chevy trucks are interesting but neither would fit our bikes.

You'[ll be glad you added lights. Not for night but daytime use. It is much better to be seen by other cages. I only have anecdotal evidence but have had fewer cars turn in front of me and fewer incidents of vehicles pulling out from side roads to create a hazardous situation. Good lucl!

You need to check how they show up in sun light.
That's the time when drivers will say they did not
see you, that's the time you want to be seen.

RWulf said:
You need to check how they show up in sun light.
That's the time when drivers will say they did not
see you, that's the time you want to be seen.

I would have ridden to work today (dark when I ride in, early afternoon ride home), but when I saw it was supposed to be 98 at my house (that means a few places I go through would be 103 or more) I decided against it.

I will check to see how they do in the daylight compared to the high beams (during the day, I have high beams on).

I have years of experience running amber spot lamps on my V-Twin motorcycles.
I believe it to be the best insurance you can buy, very effective at grabbing motorists attention.

Amber running lights will be on my Connie as soon as I learn of the options available.

I like your addition, very creative.....and bound to be effective.

I have not grabbed a picture during the day yet, but will do that when I am on my way home the next time I ride to work.

Here are pictures from after they were installed, in my driveway.

Here, just the running lights and LED's:

LED's and low beams:

Blurry, but the high beams:

Blurry, but low beams:

If you want to get serious about conspicuousness then
research lighting safety triangle. And if you life is worth
it look into a head light modulator.
Other than that if you just want to look cool you have
lots of options.

I agree with adding lights, and I've had them on all our bikes for the last few years.
I added them to my C14 using the Top Kick sliders as mounts, and they look great, and work just as well. Here are some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20170104_210228869 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170104_210228869 - Copy.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20170104_210017194 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170104_210017194 - Copy.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20170104_205948664 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20170104_205948664 - Copy.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20170105_224404805.jpg
    IMG_20170105_224404805.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 126
Jorge said:
I agree with adding lights, and I've had them on all our bikes for the last few years.
I added them to my C14 using the Top Kick sliders as mounts, and they look great, and work just as well. Here are some photos.

Great!  :great:
On my TODO list.

I like them may have to do that to both the C 10 and the 14.

I'm way behind the times, was going to post a pic of my auxillary LEDs and just discovered the Photobucket Ransom hijacking of my photos. Guess I'll be figuring out another way, why can't we load directly to this site?

Robby1953 said:
I'm way behind the times, was going to post a pic of my auxillary LEDs and just discovered the Photobucket Ransom hijacking of my photos. Guess I'll be figuring out another way, why can't we load directly to this site?
You can, just currently a size limit.  350k I think.  Not hard to resize but many feel it is just to much of an effort on their part.

I just did this one in a minute along with attaching it.

Attachments

• DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 116
smithr1 said:
Robby1953 said:
You can, just currently a size limit.  350k I think.  Not hard to resize but many feel it is just to much of an effort on their part.

I just did this one in a minute along with attaching it.

Thanks Smithr1 for some reason I thought it had to be third party hosted.

RWulf said:
If you want to get serious about conspicuousness then
research lighting safety triangle. And if you life is worth
it look into a head light modulator.
Other than that if you just want to look cool you have
lots of options.

YES!

More lights are good, but if you really want to add something that will significantly put odds in your favor, get a headlight modulator. They only work during the day, or dawn/dusk in sufficient light, but I literally cannot count the number of times I have seen cagers notice me when they almost didn't.  I've heard all the arguments against them, and those are all theoretical or irrelevant or bogus.  In reality, headlight modulators work and they'll save your life.

Definitely add LED's or a modulator for the front of the bike. I've always had some sort of triangle of lighting on the front - almost 20 yrs. now and I've never had a car pull across my path. If I did not have the extra lights, I would have a modulator.

Very bright, even in daylight. Haven't had a driver not yield when I approach.

Attachments

• IMG_20170703_233717485_zpsty48p2v9.JPG
    IMG_20170703_233717485_zpsty48p2v9.JPG
    222 KB · Views: 128
Ran across this some time back... makes sense, and I have had very few incidents of people pulling in front of me. I don't assume they will see me, and am prepared to evade or brake, but I think they do.
https://motolight.com/triangle-of-light/

RoadKillHeaven said:

Awesome, and how did you mount them? Would you be willing to take a few photos of your mounting system for those of us considering doing this? I've been on a slow burn for adding lights to my Connie and this may be it.

Jorge said:
Ran across this some time back... makes sense, and I have had very few incidents of people pulling in front of me. I don't assume they will see me, and am prepared to evade or brake, but I think they do.
https://motolight.com/triangle-of-light/

Really good reading Jorge. Had the modulator on my bike when the idjut pulled out in front of me.....not sure the additional lights would have prevented that one but I like the science and the method in the article

Salish14 said:
RoadKillHeaven said:

Awesome, and how did you mount them? Would you be willing to take a few photos of your mounting system for those of us considering doing this? I've been on a slow burn for adding lights to my Connie and this may be it.
Some time ago I posted my impressions and how to mount LED light under the mirrors.
Here is the link.
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-running-lights-71153/msg602937/#msg602937

Cheers...

Have finished mounting the same lights in the same fashion as RoadKillHeaven and I'm delighted. Took it for a ride tonight and it makes a very real difference in my side and front visibility. Think it looks really nice under the rear view mirrors. Thanks so much RoadKill!

I mounted my switch on the right black top fairing, and it looks nice there. Have to take my right hand off the throttle to toggle it on, but I plan to ride with it on at all times so it will just be part of my start up sequence.