• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adjustable Center Stand for Lowered Connie folks

Hurry up...I am getting tired of aiming for the tile on the garage to run over with the rear tire so I can use the stock center stand

Considering what I had to do to shorten mine, they might be a while (if ever) getting that ready for prime time.

When you shorten the center stand, the pin that holds the lower end of the spring has to move down too, unless you shorten "underneath" it (closer to the ground). But on the stock center stand, with the gusseting braces, there is only a bit over 1" that could be cut out, which is not enough for a 2" lowering (Muzzy link plus raise front tubes 3/4").

So I had the 2" section cut out above the gusseting, which means the spring pin has to be moved down, and when you do, the pin is occluded by the gusseting, so the spring can't reach the pin. So a notch has to be cut in the gusseting, and then box gusseted to keep the strength. And the cut can't be a straight box cut, it has to be a wide base V cut so that as the stand moves through the arc from down to stored, the spring orientation changes and won't be interferred with.

To make one that is easily adjustable and accomodates the variable geometry of the spring, they'd have to be mighty good engineers.

Maybe they can make it out that Terminator2 metal that flows right into a desirable shape...That stuff ought to be in HomeDepot by now, I would guess...

nando said:
Maybe they can make it out that Terminator2 metal that flows right into a desirable shape...That stuff ought to be in HomeDepot by now, I would guess...

If it is in Home Depot, I hope it stays there and doesn't go to Lowes, I own a ton of Lowes stock and it has enough troubles with the down market as it is.

I mean, if you see a shiny silver liquid metal blob taking a 3D shape rising up off the puddle on the floor, I recommend you exit the vicinity post haste.  :rotflmao:

JR said:
Considering what I had to do to shorten mine, they might be a while (if ever) getting that ready for prime time.

When you shorten the center stand, the pin that holds the lower end of the spring has to move down too, unless you shorten "underneath" it (closer to the ground). But on the stock center stand, with the gusseting braces, there is only a bit over 1" that could be cut out, which is not enough for a 2" lowering (Muzzy link plus raise front tubes 3/4").

So I had the 2" section cut out above the gusseting, which means the spring pin has to be moved down, and when you do, the pin is occluded by the gusseting, so the spring can't reach the pin. So a notch has to be cut in the gusseting, and then box gusseted to keep the strength. And the cut can't be a straight box cut, it has to be a wide base V cut so that as the stand moves through the arc from down to stored, the spring orientation changes and won't be interferred with.

To make one that is easily adjustable and accomodates the variable geometry of the spring, they'd have to be mighty good engineers.

Do have any pics of it?

@gsun - Soon (tm)

If you ever played Everquest, you understand the humor in that. If not, it means I don't know when pictures will happen, I have too many other things on my schedule right now to worry about it.