• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adjusting the brake pedal

peelandwin

Bicycle
The PO of my bike put on Buell pegs to give himself a bit more room.  They are nice but I have to perch my feet on the pegs to keep from dragging my shoes on just regular riding.  He did give me the stock pegs so I was looking at switching them out but I am not sure how to adjust the brake pedal back to its stock position.  Any suggestions/instructions before I get started?

I think I am also going to remove the MCL risers and try the bike for a bit without them.  The bars are comfortable but I want to try the bike as it was designed.

I think I know the bike that you bought. Did you buy it from Greg in Austin? If so I considered buying it (nice bike, best used one I found in my search) but decided to bite the bullet and buy new 2012 and I'm in the process of making it my own. I am considering lowering my pegs but I'm not in a hurry to. I you decide to sell the buell pegs I might be interested in buying them. I'm in Sugar Land and I think Greg said you were near Katy. Let's Ride

Hey Street, that is the bike I bought.  I am in Katy, we should definitely go for a ride.

After I give the stock pegs I'll let you know about the Buell pegs.  I do like them, they are just like the ones on my Buell!

to adjust the brake pedal, you gotta take the mounting bracket off, and then disassemble the brake lever... its been a while so these instructions will not be complete, but i figured it out myself. once you get that bracket off, it's easy to figure it out. you just gotta dive in.

after the bracket is off, the adjustment is done by removing a retaining pin, and if i remember correctly, spin the adjuster (lever should remain attached to the adjuster). i know it sounds funny reading it on a computer screen, but once its off, you will figure it out.

i hope this helps, but if u cant get it, PM me. i'll give you my number and walk you through it, even if i gotta take mine apart again. no big deal, taking it apart is not a prob, adjusting and fitting is the issue.

ride safe

Heads up. The piston in the rear master cylinder must return far enough to open a relief port and allow the pads to retract. Brake drag may result...just saying.

Tundra Tom said:
Heads up. The piston in the rear master cylinder must return far enough to open a relief port and allow the pads to retract. Brake drag may result...just saying.
i didnt know that... guess mines ok cause i dont have any drag issues. if i understand what your saying, make sure there any adjustments allows the lever return to the full up position, right? 

Got the stock pegs on and adjusting the brake pedal was simple.  Thanks for the tip on pulling the bracket, you were right..once it was off it was simple to see.

I do think the bike was more comfortable with the lower pegs but I will stick with the stockers for the ground clearance.  The stock pegs raise my knees up higher on the tank and spread them just a little bit more.

peelandwin said:
Got the stock pegs on and adjusting the brake pedal was simple.  Thanks for the tip on pulling the bracket, you were right..once it was off it was simple to see.

I do think the bike was more comfortable with the lower pegs but I will stick with the stockers for the ground clearance.  The stock pegs raise my knees up higher on the tank and spread them just a little bit more.

That's what I thought too. More comfortable. But not at the expense of ground clearance. I was constantly dragging my toes without even trying! I didn't like having to lift my feet up higher on the pegs for almost every turn!  ???  So I also went back to the OEM pegs.