• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Adventure gear on a budget.

Hi,
        One size only?

Hmmmmm........Maybe why it's budget? ;D

Attachments

• g.jpeg
    g.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 143
I would like to find a good source of Big and Tall gear that doesn't break the bank.

I'm 6'9" 300lb and rocking a firstgear Kathmandu I got years and years ago, fits great, but it's getting up there in age, and it's to hot in the summer.

I'm thinking of just going to a mesh jacket, with a rain jacket outer when I need it. 

GIant81 said:
I would like to find a good source of Big and Tall gear that doesn't break the bank.

Hi,
        I think thats a "misnomer"!!! :eek:

Good gear cost money and the best is Motoport (My opinion, others may disagree) :(

In the end, it's your bod on the gurney!  :-X

How you look when you get there, is up to you (personal choice) ;D

And the Nurses don't care!!! ::)

Attachments

• 44eb04398723a1b7865294e40c56b64d.jpg
    44eb04398723a1b7865294e40c56b64d.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 127
true, I don't like to skimp on gear, but if it's too expensive, I won't wear anything, so even cheap gear is better than no gear.  :) then you save up and upgrade when you can. 

I'm 6'5" and 250# or so, just a little guy compared to you guys  :nananana:, but you might check out the Klim line. I have a XXL mesh with rain liner that runs quite large and flows LOTS of air.

GIant81 said:

I'm 6'9" 300lb and rocking a firstgear Kathmandu I got years and years ago, fits great, but it's getting up there in age, and it's to hot in the summer.

I'm thinking of just going to a mesh jacket, with a rain jacket outer when I need it.

I am thinking when the Motoport gets here and I start wearing it I am gonna be so pissed tht I have a closet full of nice gear that I will never wear again. Should have bought it sooner and saved my money on all the other stuff I bought.

freebird6 said:
GIant81 said:

I am thinking when the Motoport gets here and I start wearing it I am gonna be so pissed tht I have a closet full of nice gear that I will never wear again. Should have bought it sooner and saved my money on all the other stuff I bought.

Hi,
        Yep! Sound wisdom! :great:

You WILL sale the other stuff, but looks like you have some customers here! ;D

Attachments

• mechanic.jpg
    mechanic.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
I watched the video and noticed around 5:48 the pants had a tear in them.  I like the idea of cheap gear but one of the local shop had last year's firstgear and Klim pants for 100-130 and 200-240 respectively.  Will tag this post and hope to hear better reviews for folks on this forum who purchase this gear.

talcon said:
Nice find Mark!

Thanks Randy

I posted this for riders who would love to own Motoport, Klim, etc., but have realized that life, and all of it's responsibilities and priorities, repeatedly prevents the purchase.  The same riders who are happy riding a bike they paid cash for because raising the kids is absolutely
top priority. Maybe even helping them through college.  Plenty of other reasons, too.  These same riders already know all the reasons
to wear the best protection available,  and they might even be a bit weary of being advised to "save up until you can afford the best".
Those of you who have that kind of disposable income....trust me, many of us are envious. :truce:

Flat-spot said:
talcon said:
Nice find Mark!

Thanks Randy

I posted this for riders who would love to own Motoport, Klim, etc., but have realized that life, and all of it's responsibilities and priorities, repeatedly prevents the purchase.  The same riders who are happy riding a bike they paid cash for because raising the kids is absolutely
top priority. Maybe even helping them through college.  Plenty of other reasons, too.  These same riders already know all the reasons
to wear the best protection available,  and they might even be a bit weary of being advised to "save up until you can afford the best".
Those of you who have that kind of disposable income....trust me, many of us are envious. :truce:

Hi,
        I actually sold some other "things" in my possesion, I would of liked to of kept, to buy my Motoport! :(

I just wanted to ride the C14 more aggressively and wanted the best protection I could find! :great:

There was also the "custom" thing at my size! ::)

And the "buy once,cry once" situation! :-[

Glad now I made the sacrifice and I've even managed to keep the shiny side up! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_o57iujaURy1tpchrmo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_o57iujaURy1tpchrmo1_400.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 113
My Motoport came while away at Moonshine. I wore it this morn down to New Castle fo a 730 am meeting. 34 degree with my  :beerchug:Warm N Safe gear underneath. Thank goodness because this thing flows air hugely. Kind of weird not to have my tight Alpinestars or Kawasaki GA gear on. as it fits a bit looser....or feels that way.

I am happy and looked at the gear I had hanging on the back of the bedroom door that I wore out to Illinois this weekend. I immediately thought....that was wasted money that Olympia a nd others got. I will put it upstairs and may find  that I use it in the future...but I doubt it. As for The Motoport ....I was talking to my wife who said I looked "good in it" (no accounting for what a spouse sees in a mate) but she also asked why I had waited the 3 years I have been talking about buying it why I waited so long and asked how much I had spent on cheaper gear (Alpinestars, Kawasaki GA , Bilt, River Road and other stuff) hemming and hawing about the Motoport.

It is stiff and I want to get it broken in but I am liking it enough to go out and get on the bike in the dark when it was below freezing this moring.

The 6'9 gent is a big guy. Seems smarter to get it made to fit and be done with it rather than get an off the shelf maybe it will fit version. Having already been hit and spent 8 days in a coma...and as Flat Spot says....lucky to be here to tell about it....I think the investment pales in comparision to the initial quarter of a million dollars the first 6 hours of my stay. Get fit and have it made. Just my .O2 cents

I'm thinking this product line/manufacturer has gone out of buisness, can't find anywhere to purchase the product..... :(