• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Advice needed on where to go in the North west

Jeff

I was planning on going out west for the entire month of July, but of course something came up at work. Now I have about 2 weeks to ride to the Northwest. I few items I wanted to see are Glacier National Park, Road to the Sun, Redwoods and maybe to trip up into Canada. I would love to get some advice to other roads and attractions to see in that area. I plan to leave Monday the 24th.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well if you get anywhere near the geographical center of WA, look me up in Moses Lake. I have a tire machine and tools.

Oregon- Dooley Pass/The little Dragon/Hells Canyon, pretty much all of NE OR is nice....and hot.
WA- SR 20/North Cascade Highway/ part of SR-17 through Dry Falls (A geological wonder) and Grand Coulee Dam, (A man made wonder), Roads are not fantastic/curvy but a couple of major sights.

BC- meh, my last 3 trips up there I have been treated with such disrespect at the border, got credit cards jacked at a motel, had a flat, got unexpected rain, AND add to that they have that Nazi like 24 mph over the speed limit automatic impound for 7 days and $1000 fine. Add to that much of BC is on fire right now, you make the call.

HAve a great ride!!

Looks like you won't be sniffing too many flowers. Are you just doing a freeway burn through?

So far I've put 5700 miles on the bike in six weeks and it is being trailered behind the Roadtrek motorhome which has 5k miles so far. Burning up those hydrocarbons, yeehaw.

I'm out here for three months just in the Northwet and it's not enough. Spent three weeks plus in southern BC and there' are still some good roads I left for next time.

Good luck.

On TDY near Mount Rainier.

So it's the hottest time of year and low humidity.  It'll be a great ride, but get mesh gear and a cooling vest.

On the Lolo Pass road (US # 12) between MT and ID
June292014066_zpsb9fec823.jpg

Sept222013086smaller.jpg

Nakusp BC
July%206%202015%20026%20crop%20small%20-%20Copy_zpsg41lcsaf.jpg

I've always had good riding experiences in BC.  Drivers seem MC friendly
and recognize our practice of speed during passing.

My computer is taking a break, so if it comes back I might suggest others ...

Combined with Lolo Pass Hgwy, take sidetrip to Elk City, ID.  Prime.
P1090760_zpsqzm5cnq8.jpg

Where we eat in Elk City, ID.  Elk City Saloon.  Recommend the BLT basket! 
Fries are cut in house - this is remote Idaho after all.
P1060272_zps7ae2037a.jpg

Old Mackensie Pass, OR
Sept82013070smaller.jpg

When you're in BC, it's home to the 8-pack!
P1020418.jpg

Old Molson, WA.  It's near Republic, WA where I've always had a good stay.
July282013040smaller.jpg

Just a little bit of excitement.  Only got a warning.  Friends are passing by - and thanking us for clearing the path,
April282013012.jpg

Near the Dooley Mtn Rd is Sumpter, OR.  They have a nice free state park to preserve a 1930's gold dredge (no photo).
I waited around for the tour - worth it!

Next to Sumpter is remote town of Granite, OR  Like remote! - has this as the operating Granite City Hall.  Doubles as the church.
034cropsmall_zps22d0e805.jpg

Thanks for the reply's and pictures.  Definitely going to try to incorporate some of the suggestions into this shortened trip. I will not be smelling a lot of flowers, but its better then nothing.  Planning on a 1200 mile first day, so I can take that off my list of to do's.

Hey ZXtasy,
  Hows the old Moses Hole? Loved going out to the Potholes. I grew up in that little town when Larson AFB was active. Moved around a lot, Warden, Othello, Proser, Yakima, Ellensburg, Soap Lake, Ephrata and finally Peshastin. Then So. Calif.