• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Aerostich Roadcrafter

c14blair

Training Wheels
I'm going to buy a one piece riding suit, and this looks like a pretty good one.

Kind of pricey, but i'm having a little trouble finding something of same quality for less money. Anyone know of anything close, for less money?

I would love to try on one of the Aerostich suits, but looks like they are mail order only. I guess you take measurements, and e mail to manufacturer. I wonder how accurate that is?

My plan is to get a one piece Roadcrafter once I am where I want to be size wise. (yes I'm working on it). When at a good weight, I have a problem that nothing normal sizes ever fits my shoulders. Anything that fits my shoulders, is like a tent around my waist. (again when at a good weight) Thus I always need to spend extra for athletic cut alterations. It's a real PITA. So I have been wondering the same thing about Aerostich. And I need to know how close the measurements are as well. I guess it might be wise to plan on it being a little bigger to allow for layering garments in the cooler weather. So what do the RoadCrafter alumni have to say of your experiences.

Roadcrafters are a bit pricey BUT they are extemely well-made and will, with minimal effort, last almost indefinitely (I'm still using the one I bought in 1994). I've not found anything in the same class for less money.

There's a sizing guide on their website OR you can call them with your measurements.  They will also custom alter a bit.

I've had mine for four years now. Well really only 2.5 as there was a recall on the very Hi-Viz, but I digress.  I've lusted for one for years and when my Tourmaster jacket and pants gave up the ghost I figured (at the time) I'd be spending around $400.00 for new stuff anyway, so why not get the suit I've always wanted.

To ensure it will fit I'd call them and ask what measurements they need to determine if you could wear a "rack ready" (they actually make them to order, although they do stock certain sizes) or one that needs some customizing. Now is the time to get all the customizing as you do want it to fit you well.

Oh and from time to time, if you are lucky enough to wear an "off the rack" size, they do have return and demo sales, so sign up for their webmail. Maybe a deal will come along.

With the new waterproof zippers this has to be the best suit on the market. I enjoy how easy it is to suit up and the way it makes me look like a dork gumby lookalike...... Well it does! But it gets noticed, (Hi-Viz)is comfortable as all get out, mostly waterproof, although long rides in thunderstorms (hours) will get you a wet crotch. 

If I have a bitch is it that the underarm vents are impossible to zip up with certainly when you are on the bike. (Yeah I know I should pull over) AND! the damn thing has too many freaking pockets, as I am always loosing crap and finding it in the last pocket checked!

Oh and real men wash their "stichs" Seems there is some mythic protocol to wear the dirtiest "stich" you can, thus proving to the world you ride.......  If anyone doubt I ride they can take a look at my odometer......

All in all I think you will be pleased with the purchase, maybe have to sell your kids for the price, but it'll be worth it!

http://www.aerostich.com/sale-items?cat=243&limit=all

Check out Motoport for an alternative. I've owned both and I vastly prefer the Kevlar Ultra Trek. Also, be aware that the Stitch is bloody HOT!

The Roadcrafter is a heavy weight garment but can be reasonably comfortable even in very warm weather (94*+). When the weather is extremely warm I wear a tee shirt and shorts under my 'stitch and open all the vents. That provides sufficient airflow when moving to keep acceptably comfortable while still providing the exceptional protection Aerostitch is known for.  I live in the Deep South and wore my Roadcrafter year 'round (I now have a Darien Light and Darien Light pants that I wear in warmer weather) so I've got considerable experience using the Roadcrafter in warm weather.

They are worth every penny.  Call them, with your measurements.  They are great about helping figure out what will fit you.  They sent me out a "standard" suit to try on for fit before making a custom suit for me.  Sure I had to pay the shipping, but considering the end price on a suit it was a small price to get the fit right.

I've read good things said about these suits http://store.teizms.com/.  If at all possible, a trip to Duluth or where ever Teizms Motorsports is located (I think it's east of the Mississippi... but so is Duluth) to get custom fitted would be a good idea and an excuse for a really nice trip.  Aerostich offers discounts for rally goers in the area (like the BMW RA rally this year in Wisconsin) if you drop by.  I don't think you have to actually be a rally goer to qualify.

BJ_CT said:
I've read good things said about these suits http://store.teizms.com/.  If at all possible, a trip to Duluth or where ever Teizms Motorsports is located (I think it's east of the Mississippi... but so is Duluth) to get custom fitted would be a good idea and an excuse for a really nice trip.  Aerostich offers discounts for rally goers in the area (like the BMW RA rally this year in Wisconsin) if you drop by.  I don't think you have to actually be a rally goer to qualify.

Tell them you are a COG member (if you are???) and show them your card. I believe you will get a discount.

Yep, COG member.

doesn't appear as though it has many vents. Is it really that hot? i live in southern california, so temperature is pretty moderate all year around.

There are vents in the armpits and across the back. During very warm weather I open them all up, un-zip the front to mid-chest and open the wrist straps. This allows air to flow up the arms and out the back. Until I got my Darien outfit (actually my loving wife bought it for me; Thanks dear!) I wore a Roadcrafter year 'round and summers in South Carolina and both hot and humid.  There's a reason that the majority of Ironbutt competitiors wear Roadcrafters; they work.  I'm not affilitated with Aerostitch, just a very satisfied customer who's wasted money buying stuff that was "almost as good."

Ranger Jim said:
I'm not affilitated with Aerostitch, just a very satisfied customer who's wasted money buying stuff that was "almost as good."

Need I say more than what has already been stated. Well spent money is spent well.

In early summer I bought my first 'stitch.  I called them and described myself and how I intended to wear the suit.  I was buying it for the winter and it'll be worn over my street clothes (or heated gear).  I began the process in early summer expecting that I'd probably be having to send it back and forth for alterations, etc.  But that was not the case.  They nailed it on the first round.  I think they've got so much experience with this that they know how to get it right.  But do call them.  For that kind of money you might as well talk to another human!

Now, I'm anxiously waiting for the weather to turn cold here in southeast Texas!  Can't wait to throw on the 'stitch and head out. >:D

And, while I know some folks wear these in hot weather my commute in Houston is mostly stop-and-go.  For stop-and-go you gotta have mesh.

Hi MoldBuster,

It would be interesting to hear your take on the two suits being discussed.  I am also interested in both of these manufacturers.  Motoport has an interesting article on their site called, "Saving Your Hide". 

The article compares various materials and such.  There is an insightful chart that displays the effectiveness of various materials during falls.  It definately got my attention.

I live outside of New Orleans.  Much like Houston, the weather can be unbearable at times.  I am still wearing mesh for air flow.  The mornings have been in the low 50's lately, so I throw on the waterproof/windproof liner in the morning.

Is the Aerostitch Roadcrafter and/or Motoport suit agreeable to the hot and humid summers?  I believe I read that the Motoport has a range of sub zero to 120 degrees depending on whether you add the liner and thermal undergarments.

I would love to hear comments and suggestions regarding both suits.

Cheers!
Blackgold 

Ron,

Ron,

Great article.

Thanks for the post.

I had never even heard of Motoport until this article.

I have no idea what to buy now.

I live in San Diego, and it is usually more warm than cold here, so maybe Motoport?

I don't know now.

Hi all,

I spent a fair amount of time reading reviews about the Motoport gear.  I must say the gear seems top notch.  Getting the right fit and poor customer service is daunting.  I was fairly certain about pulling the trigger.  Yet now I feel a bot of hesitation.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Blackgold said:
Hi all,

I spent a fair amount of time reading reviews about the Motoport gear.  I must say the gear seems top notch.  Getting the right fit and poor customer service is daunting.  I was fairly certain about pulling the trigger.  Yet now I feel a bot of hesitation.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Well my friend if I was you, I would give them a call and tell them what your looking at getting.... and it's between them and 'stich' Voice you concerns about there "right fit" and "poor customer service" issue. And see if they can persuade you to there side.  Talk about online discussions about there product so on and so forth...... . Bad business on a forum is less money in there pocket bottom line.
I've used this tactic a lot, and it normally works.
Cheers
Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will give them a call.  Is it best to speak with Wayne?

I like the stitch suit too.  I am just not sure if the ventilation is sufficient for the heat and humidity in the area. 

Best regards,
Blackgold

To address any issue about a "stich" handling the heat. Everytime I am in hot water with the wife I just put on my "stich" and go for a ride. Usually by the time I come back she has cooled down!  Usually!  :)  :'(

Don't know where in the Southeast you live, but I live in South Carolina.  I wear my 'stitch year-round when I'm travelling (I wear mesh gear if I'm riding locally and there's no threat of rain). My wife also wears a 'stitch when we travel together.  Earlier this year we were travelling out to the Grand Canyon we had numerous days when it was over 90* (crossing through MO, KS, TN, etc).  When it's hot, I wear a tee shirt and shorts under the 'stitch and have been reasonably comfortable.  They have also just come out with a RoadCrafter Light (same pattern but built of lighter material).  The original 'stitch is made entirely in the US (the RC Light is made overseas).  It was designed by a RIDER (who rides year 'round).  I currently own two 'stitches (one is a one piece, the other is a two piece). 

I confess that I've no experience with the Motoport gear.

Check them both out. Call both companies and then pick the one you think will best meet your requirements.  If you choose the 'stitch, be aware that it takes a while to "break in" (one 'stitch user said that he was convinced his 'stitch would march around the garage and bully his other gear  :D).

Good luch with whichever you choose. :motonoises:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  They are greatly appreciated.  I have gained tremendous insight and perspective from the comments and links provided on this forum and others too.

The lack of standards for MC gear in the US is disappointing.  I would like to thank the board members for sharing information about gear and corresponding safety concerns.

Best regards,
Blackgold

Unless things have changed the moto stuff is made waterproof by a seperate liner, unlike Aero which is one piece Goretex laminated to the shell, now If only I could convience them into producing the outer shells in the color silver........... 

When I shipped my ZX11 to London, in 1992, to start the 30-day trip that took me from Assan, Holland on the north coast, to Nice, France on the south coast, and various other places, I shipped it with a Roadcrafter. I wore that in horrendous downpours with heavy winds, and in the blazing heat of the huge canyon seperating France from South Coast of France. It was worth every penny.

In the hot part of the trip, I often rode in swim trunks and a t-shirt under the suit. In the cold part of the trip I wore a flannel shirt and thermal pants.

The trip would have been far less fun without that suit. Someday, like Bob, when I get back to a decent weight and bodyfat percentage, I'm getting another one.

When I shipped my ZX11 to London, in 1992, to start the 30-day trip that took me from Assan, Holland on the north coast, to Nice, France on the south coast, and various other places

Man that sounded like a great trip.  Hope to visit the Isle of Man someday that way

wild man said:
When I shipped my ZX11 to London, in 1992, to start the 30-day trip that took me from Assan, Holland on the north coast, to Nice, France on the south coast, and various other places

Man that sounded like a great trip.  Hope to visit the Isle of Man someday that way

Everyone should get to do something like this at least once. Here is the link where I have re-posted the diary I kept then. I am slowly finding the photos I took (definitely pre-digital camera) and having them converted to jpegs. Eventually I will find most of them. This was originally posted to rec.motorcycles (UseNet, aka netnews) because one of the regulars had invited me to come visit him on the South Coast of France. I then lost the digital copy, only to find it in google usenet archives last year. Missing one day, but I may not have written anything that day because it was the best riding day of the entire trip, heading north from the coast inside the canyon and then up the north lip and out onto a wonderful plain and gorgeous roads......

http://www.zx14ninjaforum.com/messages.cfm?threadid=CBFD21F8-D56B-84E2-14406605FB45DABE

Finally dropped the big coin and bought my Aerostich Roadcrafter.
A little stiff, but pretty sweet. Hard to believe that it is machine washable.
Hopefully i will be able to open it enough to stay cool int the summer.
thanks again for all the advice.

It will take a bit of time for the RoadCrafter to "break in" and during that time you will berate yourself for spending that much money (DAMHIK). Wear it a lot to get it broken in for you and your riding style. Good Luck and Ride Safe!

Ranger Jim said:
It will take a bit of time for the RoadCrafter to "break in" and during that time you will berate yourself for spending that much money (DAMHIK). Wear it a lot to get it broken in for you and your riding style. Good Luck and Ride Safe!

Mine did not take long to break in. Just wear it and ride, and you'll be there and back in no time at all.  ;)

Have you considered going full leather.  I have both a 1 piece and a 2 piece set from Perrini and I have about 40K miles on them and they are great.  Sure leather can be warm in the heat of summer,  but worth it in my view.    I have found these to be very of high quality with really great protection built into them and considering the price they are very cost effective.  They offer custom sizing or pre-made sizing.  I am by no means a small size and I found the fit to be comfortable and well cut and sized.

http://www.topgearleather.com/product/TORNADOSUIT/1-Pc-Motorcycle-Racing-Leather-Tornado-Suit.html

and

http://www.topgearleather.com/category/toggearleathers.racingsuits/

As soon as I lose 20 more pounds, I'm going to start thinking about buying a Roadcrafter two-piece again.

Although I might do a Lite, not sure yet.

Ranger Jim said:

If you still have the thick paper catalog they sent you at some point, you will get a laugh when you see there is an item in amongst the Roadcrafter and Darien pages which offers to have Aerostich staff break your suit in, by wearing. It goes on to say they will ride it in the way you intent so if you commute, they will commute to work in it, and so forth. Its got some obscene price, and to be honest, they had me hook line and sinker until I thought about it a while.