• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

air PSI sensors in my 2008 have a ???

anthony2008

Mini Bike
in the morning when its cold , the front sensor has warning and all that happens is the dash dont work , but after work when its hot about 80 degress , i go down the street 100 feet and PSI works great ,, what going on when its cold , wont work but when hot works like new ?????

Depending on the temperature, it can be worse. The TPS have a history of not wanting to work when the temperature is cold. Most start off in the 30's to 40's when this happens. But as the sensor batteries get older, and weaker, the failure temperature goes up.
When the sensors fail from the cold (like any other failure the C14 displays). Of course the low sensor warning takes over the whole dash. This is of no concern for some people. But I found it to be a real pain in the butt. 40 degrees means thick gloves. That makes it very hard to perform the two button shuffle to get the dash display back. It's about impossible when you have thicker gloves on and it's dark.
If the TPS is not real bad. They will shut off once the tires generate enough heat to warm the sensors. Then they might start working again. I found it to be 5-10 miles on my C14 when it started doing this. Of course your results may vary depending on the temperatures and how bad your sensors are at this point. But when not bad, they normally will go back to work, once warm.
In my particular C14's case. That's what would happen. Normally the stone cold Connie would be coming out early in the morning to go to work. When it's these lower temperatures meant it was normally dark for me. So there is no resetting the dash display, unless you ride to a well lit area where you could pull over. Then remove the heavier gloves to reset the C14's stupid warning. Why Kawasaki feels it need to take over the whole dash, and make it very difficult to reset, is beyond me.
Anyway, my C14 started doing this in the cold, when a few months old back in 2007. It wound up getting worse (failing at warmer temperatures as time went on).  Thankfully, Kawasaki replaced them at three years old under warranty. They were coming on in the 50's to 60's at that point. So they will probably get worse for you. The planned life is suppose to be 5 years. Yet most people seemed to be having problems much sooner. At this point they will need to be replaced (or at least the battery part). Otherwise, your doomed to be resetting the dash every time it's cool, or possibly every time, once the TPS totally fails. But I'm not totally sure if you get a warning once they are dead. I didn't let mine go that far to find out. Maybe someone knows this for sure.

thanks a lot ,, but how do you resetting the dash ?????? i dont know how , when that warning comes on and takes over all the readings , so you say there is a way to reset it so i can see the miles and volts , please tell thanks

IIRC, you hold in the top dash button, then while holding in the top dash button, you press the bottom dash button. This should shut off the warning so you can see the dash displays again.
  This is hard to do with thick gloves, because it's hard to feel them. So it's recommended that you pull over so that you can see what your doing safely. Like I said, it almost impossible to do this in the dark with heavy gloves. So again, pull over in a lighted area. But with thin gloves that you can feel buttons well. Then it is possible to do while riding. But probably not that safest thing to do. So pulling over would still be my recommendation.