• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Alaska

Jeff

I have been planning on going to Alaska for the past 2 summers. The pandemic has put a stop to that. Well, I just found out that you no longer need a vaccination card to cross the boarder. So, the trip is on. I am going to cross the boarder in Minnesota in order to get my last 2 provinces off my list, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Looking for any advice on the route up there, things to see and tips as to what to pack. I only have about 2 weeks give or take to make this happen. I know that is not enough time, but it is better then nothing. I was thinking about renting an offroad bike in Alaska for a couple days before heading south again. roughly planning 6 days up, 6 days back and 2 or 3 days on rented bike in Alaska. I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance. P.S. A long shot, but I would gladly use some company for part of the trip or all.

Someone here once said "If I was going to take a bike to Alaska , I would want a friend to come with me . But maybe not a real good friend . Maybe one who is overweight and on a slower bike than mine , just in case of a bear attack so I could get away šŸ˜œ.

This is more for the ride up the Canadian Rockies. I am not spending much time in Alaska. Planning on going to Anchorage and renting an adventure bike for 3 or 4 days. Just doing a loop that I can cover in that amount of time. I am just looking for advice as to what roads to take to get there and any sites that are must see's.

A good friend and I brought back BMW's from MotoQuest from Anchorage to Long Beach, Ca. last August. I would suggest going from Anchorage to Valdez, Seward going through Moose Pass, a quick stop at Copper Landing, Talkeetna, and the Denali Highway with on the way up to Cantwell for the start of the highway a must look at Mt Denali or if you have time spend some time in the National Park. Beautiful sights to see Marine life, Glaciers, and cool little towns and fun roads.

I highly recommend going to Talkeetna and doing a plane tour of Denali. The planes have skis on them and they can land on the glacier. The best way to see Denali as visibility from far way is about a 30% chance you even get to see it.