• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ambient Air Temperature gauge

nschloss

Tricycle
Hey all - I have an '06 Concours and would like to install an ambient air temperature gauge - thinking on the left side as a mirror to the clock on the right side. Has anyone done anything like this that can provide me with information? Thanks!

I don't have anything like that on mine, ever since they started putting thermometers on cars, I've been froze to death or burned up ever since. Never thought much of it before.

Hi Neil, I just installed a combination voltage meter and air temp gauge with freeze alert. I put mine next to the clock on a "92" but I'm not sure if your dash is set up the same.I got it from casporttouring.com. I think it's designed more for a car but it seems to work well.I fabricated a mount out of 1 inch square aluminum tubing.The existing screws on that trim piece hold it in place nicely.It comes with Velcro tape to attach to a smooth surface.The wiring was easy and it's nice to know the voltage the battery is holding.

I had a look - it's interesting but I think its more than I want. I actually saw one in a picture of someone's for sale ad for his Concours but you think I can find it again .... Thanks for the suggestion.

I bought a thermometer at Wal-mart for 7 or 8 bux that has both a remote sensor and local sensor. I mounted the remote sensor on the fairing undernieth the headlight. I mounted the thermometer on the extreme left side of the dash, just right of the mirror. Now I need to make it waterproof! :( I plan to seal it and run power to it from the bike instead of using a battery. It works fine, easy to see, etc.

A cheap and easy (or tacky) option... just buy any inexpensive little thermometer (I found one somewhere that's 2" X 2" x 1/2") and velcro it to the spot your talking about. Of course it's not accurate if it's sitting in direct sunlight... but it is the rest the time.

+1 on the cheap & easy thermometer. I have an air temperature guage on my 2005 Harley Electra-Glide and can say without any doubt that it is perhaps the most useless accessory imagineable.

I installed one in my left upper fairing panel a few years ago:

2275824870053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

I think I got it from Aerostitch. It has worked flawlessly and is a real handy temperature reference.

Dan

I also used this one on my C14. It works great and unlike the stick on's, it's accurate, because of the probe. I did do a little water proofing to protect it from any possible water damage. That took all of one minute!

http://www.aerostich.com/mini-remote-thermometer.html

Bergmen said:

I think I got it from Aerostitch. It has worked flawlessly and is a real handy temperature reference.

Dan

Bergmen said:

Dan

I was looking for that size and style when I put a voltmeter in that same spot. It would be great if they had a dual purpose gauge that size. Is it backlit? I ended up buying a Kuryaken digital voltmeter, not my favorite for style, but it works.

I bought a cheap terrarium thermometer  for $10 at the local pet store.  Runs on a watch battery, and works -10 to+140.  Outside of those temps, I ain't riding anyway.  I stuck it on the left side and put the temp sensor bulb under my left mirror.  Cheap and easy.

Bergmen said:

Dan

Assuming you can't reach the back to turn it on/off, how long does the battery last you?

Greg said:
Bergmen said:

Dan

Assuming you can't reach the back to turn it on/off, how long does the battery last you?

I had one on my C14. There is no on/off switch, so that is not a concern. The battery in mine lasted between two to three years before it died. And that was being on all winter, in storage and such. It's a very good unit!