• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

America the Beautiful

The Doctor

Hey all,

Just recently bought an America the Beautiful pass. Decided to splurge for the upgrade from my usual Red Rock annual pass here in Vegas, especially considering that I have a Connie now and wanna eat up all the miles.

Was looking for recommendations when it came to national parks in the Southwest. Figured it would be good to get a list of the nearby places first since they could more often than not wind up being day trips, rather than a whole week long trip requiring planning and lodging etc.

Thanks!

Death Valley first!

West or East after that?  Confining the options to National Parks/Monuments that I have been to:

East:
- Grand Canyon (haven't been to this one yet)
- Zion
- Grand Staircase - Escalante
- Capitol Reef

West:
- Yosemite

Oh man -- you are in the middle of some amazing parks and monuments. A month ago I drove a day to GET to Vegas, just to be in striking distance of Zion and Bryce.

Here are my favorites (a lot +1s on CaffeineMan's list):

Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon (North Rim), Joshua Tree, Arches and Yosemite.

Haven't been there, but on my list is Mesa Verde and Bear's Ears.

Hit them all, take some pics and write about it in The Concourier!

Do ALL the parks? That's a 45 page spreadsheet... I did say all the miles  :rotflmao:

Considering spending the 23rd/maybe Christmas Eve on two wheels. Should have everything buttoned up by then. Worried about hitting snow or ice though. Any specific recommendations for parks to hit up in winter time that aren't too bad?

Sailor_chic said:
SteveJ. said:
Do 'em all. I've never been to one that sucked.

Well said, and I agree!!!

I'm with Steve & Nicole. In 2016 I did 72 parks & historic sites in 28 states in 6 month time frame.  :motonoises: I was doing the National Park IBA tour though.

Go see them!  :)

Just Cliff said:
Sailor_chic said:
SteveJ. said:
Do 'em all. I've never been to one that sucked.

Well said, and I agree!!!

I'm with Steve & Nicole. In 2016 I did 72 parks & historic sites in 28 states in 6 month time frame.  :motonoises: I was doing the National Park IBA tour though.

Go see them!  :)

Holy moley! I have 4 jobs, so dunno if that would even be possible for me, even if I had a whole year.

Death Valley.

I live in Pahrump.  I'll be riding there Xmas day.

If there are no storms, the pass on SR-160 is cold but dry.  DV at low elevations is 10 degrees warmer than Vegas.

Vegas -> Shoshone -> Badwater -> Furnace Creek -> Pahrump -> Vegas

This gets the southern and eastern parts of the park.  Add Dantes View on the way from Furnace Creek to Pahrump for another 26 miles and you get a view 5000 feet up above Badwater.

Bag an easy one to start with!

I gotta work the 24th but if you go the 23rd and want company, lemme know.

CaffeineMan said:
Death Valley.

I live in Pahrump.  I'll be riding there Xmas day.

If there are no storms, the pass on SR-160 is cold but dry.  DV at low elevations is 10 degrees warmer than Vegas.

Vegas -> Shoshone -> Badwater -> Furnace Creek -> Pahrump -> Vegas

This gets the southern and eastern parts of the park.  Add Dantes View on the way from Furnace Creek to Pahrump for another 26 miles and you get a view 5000 feet up above Badwater.

Bag an easy one to start with!

I gotta work the 24th but if you go the 23rd and want company, lemme know.

Oh snap, we're neighbors! I've done Death Valley a time or three. It was cool to go, but wasn't overly impressed with the roads. Lots of straights. Probably looking at something East.

Hence my location "in the shadow of the Valley of Death"  ;D

I would have been surprised if you hadn't been there, but I didn't want to assume anything.  Best roads as you probably know are to go across to Lone Pine, but I don't know what the snow situation is.  Biggest problem with going east this time of year is you hit the mountains and possible snow even if you go southeast.  The day rides out of this area are few and once you've done them, you've done them.

You could check the weather and hit up Zion.  'Tis the season, after all:  "Oh thou that tellest good tidings to Zion..." ;D