• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

...and opinions on Avon Ultra Storms 2 ..thanks

Avon is the only real sport-touring tire contender for the C10, but it is not a dual compound tire and there are some much better options for the C14.

Out of 10 sets of tires & 5 or 6 different brand type's I've been happiest with the Avon Ultra Storm 2's. By far the best mileage, they wear well & they hold the road well. I have a 2008 C14 & ride in the Arkansas twistie's most every weekend, I do no commuting & almost no interstate riding. So I'm sticking with them for now!

Cliff  :beerchug:

mtc1966 said:
loved them on my c10 have not tried them on my c14 yet.

I agree and have a brand new set on my C10... my 3rd set.  Great tire, but only got 8000 miles or less out of a set.  There really are not that many true sport-touring radial choices for the C10.

For the C14 there are several more modern tire choices, most of which are dual compound, which provide longer life and excellent handling.  If & when Avon comes out with a Storm with dual compound tire with longer wear I would consider them.

The Avon Ultra Storm 2 is a multi compound tire or as the manufactuer put's it, tri compund. I consider 8,000 miles great mileage!

Just Cliff said:
  The Avon Ultra Storm 2 is a multi compound tire or as the manufactuer put's it, tri compund. I consider 8,000 miles great mileage!

True, but many are routinely getting 10K-14K out of the Michelin PR2 or PR3. That's REALLY great.

I run Avon's on my 98 C10.  My rear tire has around 6000 miles on it (6015 as of today), mostly 2 up (not two small people either).  It is about done.  They grip like glue and i love them (already have my next set; ready to mount up).

The front, as expected, is in great shape.  it'll last another rear tire, i'm sure.

I'm not real happy with the 6000 miles, however, i'll tolerate the mileage to know i have the most available grip possible for these tire sizes.

Just Cliff said:

I've personally never got more than 8,000 miles out of any rear tire, ever on a motorcycle tire. I read how folks get higher mileage out of tires including the OEM 021. So unfortunately posting mileage in a tire thread is really a moot point unless you include information that others can judge as a common frame of reference.
      Getting 8,000 miles on a tire could possible be the same as him getting 3,000 miles on a PR2. Just because there are a smaller amount of folks who have reported higher mileage on the PR2. There are also folks who report pretty low mileage on them as well.  I personally only got 4,000 miles out of the 021's. Others have reported 10,000 miles or more on 021's. And I was on track to get maybe 6 or 7K out of the PR2's when I removed them.
        So what one person gets for wear on a tire, may not be what you will get. That's why IMO, reference mileages are very important. Because  IMO, Steve posting that "many are routinely getting 10K-14K out of the Michelin PR2 or PR3" is somewhat misleading. Because these same folks probably got much higher mileage out of the 021 as well. Plus from what I have been reading on the forum's since all these tires and the C14 came out. Actually, a small amount of folks get that kind of mileage out of the Michelin's. Most folks get more along the lines of an average of about 7K. And of course, some get less mileage out of them as well.
        So without a common frame of reference (other tire mileage numbers for the C14). The information would be close to worthless. Because I can read that someone got 30,000 miles out of a tire. But that doesn't mean that I will get anywhere near the same mileage. The only way to be able to get an actual assessment for what I might get, is by possibly comparing their mileage out of other tires that you might have used. I use the 021 for reference, mainly because it being the OEM equipment on most C14's.    ;)

Okay I'll do some reference, I'm just not going back in my book & listing all of them. 021's 4,000 miles & complete toast, almost had to trailer back from overnight ride up to MO. front was bald edge to edge with cord showing all the way around middle when I arrived home. They looked decent when I left. PR2's had 2 set's of those with mileage being 4,600 & 4,800 ( that was past the wear bars). Avon's  Ultra Storm 2's the last set went 8,650 with 6,000 of that riding out west, so conditions were different. Current set 3,000 of all AR. twisties & looking good! Even though rear has a slight feathering.

Yeah Cliff, my numbers would be similar as well. 4K and the 021's were toast. The PR2's might have done a little better than your numbers, but I only estimated since I removed them. So there's no reason to doubt that I would probably get similar milage on the Ultra Storm also. I haven't tryed them yet. But I loved the Avon's on my C10. But different tire on a different animal.

Just ordered my second set of Storm 2 Ultra's (multi-compound) tires and will be mounting this week to ready for our trip to Daytona bike week in March.  Not much riding this time of year here in NY.  Got 13000 miles on first set and handled great!

Just Cliff said:
  Okay I'll do some reference, I'm just not going back in my book & listing all of them. 021's 4,000 miles & complete toast, almost had to trailer back from overnight ride up to MO. front was bald edge to edge with cord showing all the way around middle when I arrived home. They looked decent when I left. PR2's had 2 set's of those with mileage being 4,600 & 4,800 ( that was past the wear bars). Avon's  Ultra Storm 2's the last set went 8,650 with 6,000 of that riding out west, so conditions were different. Current set 3,000 of all AR. twisties & looking good! Even though rear has a slight feathering.

Thanks for that additional information that Capn'Bob requested.  I love the Avons on my C10 as well.  Not great mileage though.  Only getting about 4600 to 5000 out of the rear, much better on the front.  I currently have about 9000 on the front and still has decent tread.  I may try the Avons on my C14 when the 021s are done.  Only 93 miles on them now.  They seem to handle well but I guess I can't expect much mileage from them.

Well I was looking over my tires today while cleaning, currently they have 4,300 on them & may go another 1,500 (maybe). That's 3,000 less than the last set. This set has not left Arkansas, so riding conditions & roads make a huge difference. Same tire, same pressure & no load! The roads must be smoother out west, plus I ride easier while traveling.

Cliff  :beerchug:

I got the Avons on my Mean Streak and love them. I like the PR 2 and 3 s aI have had on the C14 just fine. Different bikes different tires. Not sure if that helps any ....just an observation.

Well, I won't play the "I got xxxx miles on this tire.

I will say that I have used up two sets of Ultra Storm IIs on my C14, and am about 1/2 way through a set of PR3s.  I'm going to get at least 1.5x mileage out of the PR3s.  At least.

So far, I REALLY like the PR3s on the Connie.

My 2¢ worth...

Thanks for all the input... I've owned Hondas up to this point and the only contender that would be considered close to the C14 is my old 91 ST1100...which I finally ended up running Avons on...WHich got very good milage + the handling was very good.  :)

So, only time will tell...I have a set of Avon Ultra Storm II's in the batter's box waiting anxiously for the Axes to fall...If by chance the Avons don't fit the bill then I'll go looking for a better deal...Till then... :-X  er maybe... ;D ;D ;D