• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Angel ST "E" spec ?

Stokeman

Training Wheels
I've seen where there is an angel st E spec. It comes in 180/55 17. From what I have seen, it is suppose to be for heavy riders or more two up riding, which should last longer according to my local mc shop. Does anyone know about the E spec? What kinda of difference is there in the 180 vs 190?

I used the Angel "E" spec tire. It use to say on the Pirelli web site that it had an extra belt for heavier sport touring bikes. But I think the site does not go into specifics any more. The "E" spec was a decent tire. But I found it to be overkill and probably a waste of money (to pay extra for the "E" spec tire). The "E" spec Angel was a harder tire than the normal spec Angel. So it was a bear to both mount and remove it from the rim. It also didn't have as good of handling and feedback that the normal spec Angel has. I of course contribute that to the extra belt making the tire stiffer for the extra weight capability.
    Although it's still a good tire. And I'm sure it's puncture resistance should be better because of it's heavier construction. I personally don't see it being worth the extra cost, trouble mounting/dismounting and not as good of handling. So IMO, I would stick with the normal spec Angel ST for normal service on the C14. Although if I was going to Alaska to ride the Dalton highway, or somewhere else where preventing flats is a (more than normal) smart move. Then I may slap another one on!

Cap'n Bob said:
    I used the Angel "E" spec tire. It use to say on the Pirelli web site that it had an extra belt for heavier sport touring bikes. But I think the site does not go into specifics any more. The "E" spec was a decent tire. But I found it to be overkill and probably a waste of money (to pay extra for the "E" spec tire). The "E" spec Angel was a harder tire than the normal spec Angel. So it was a bear to both mount and remove it from the rim. It also didn't have as good of handling and feedback that the normal spec Angel has. I of course contribute that to the extra belt making the tire stiffer for the extra weight capability.
    Although it's still a good tire. And I'm sure it's puncture resistance should be better because of it's heavier construction. I personally don't see it being worth the extra cost, trouble mounting/dismounting and not as good of handling. So IMO, I would stick with the normal spec Angel ST for normal service on the C14. Although if I was going to Alaska to ride the Dalton highway, or somewhere else where preventing flats is a (more than normal) smart move. Then I may slap another one on!

Just a note on prices, Bob...

Comparing a 180/55ZR17 to a 180/55ZR17 E Spec tire, the E Spec is more expensive...but comparing the 180/55ZR17 E Spec to a 190/50ZR17...the E Spec is a few dollars less...

If there was an E Spec tire in the size my bike used...or, a B Spec as Michelin offers...I would buy it...but, I wouldn't change sizes to get an E Spec...just my .02...

Thanks for the imfo. I ordered the "regular" ST in the 190/55. My PR3 was good, but Capt. Bob made the Angels seem a little better. Thought I would give it a try.

Several tire manufactures now make different spec tires for touring bikes that have more belts in the carcass and stiffer sidewalls. Metzler, Pirelli, and Bridgestone all do this. It's normally designated by a single large raised letter on the side of the tire somewhere, and it designates a special version code that is usually tied to a single specific motorcycle model. I don't think there is a "standard" for these version codes, so you may have to contact the manufacturer to find out what model bike that tire was actually made to be used on.

I don't know what bike the E spec Pirelli was made for, but BikeBandit lists it as the OE replacement tire for Buell XB12T, and says it is also the suggested replacement for BMW K1200GT, R1200R/RT/ST, F800ST, K1200GT, Yamaha FJR1300. This would seem to indicate it might also be a good tire for the C14, since it's in the same weight class with several of those bikes.

Here's a good example of how these different tire specs come into being. When Metzler was testing the Z6 in Europe on the Autobahn, they found that one of the BMW's had a wobble at extreme high speeds (over 120mph) and when ridden two up, so they went back and made a new model Z6 with more belts in it and a stiffer sidewall just for this one specific bike. It only happened on one bike under certain extreme circumstances, so they made a specific tire just for that bike.

Here's an example of one of the new Bridgestones that came on the 2010 C14 and had a "U" stamped on them.

large.jpg

Cap'n Bob said:

Geez! Pirelli recommends the new Angel GT A-spec for the C14, but now I'm hesitant to purchase it over the regular Angel GT... Oh, what to do, what to do?

Had an interesting conversation with the Pirelli people last week-end...seems that with all the demands being placed on the tires these days...while riding... (Active Suspension Adjustment...ABS...Traction Control...etc), they are facing issues they never even thought about a few years ago!  The non-Spec Angel GT is basically running the WSB carcass from last year!  Woo Hoo!