• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another New Canuck Connie

Hi, Everyone:

I'm a new COG member. I live in Cobourg, Ontario, between Toronto and Kingston, on the north shore of Lake Ontario. I bought a 2003 Concours back in January and took possession on March 17. This is my first Concours and I really love it. I've logged 1000K so far and am looking forward to a long and enjoyable season.

My previous bike was a 2004 Suzuki Katana 750, which was my first bike after a 20-year layoff. I rode the Katana from September 2009 until December 2010. A great bike, but I eventually tired of chain maintenance and helmet buffeting (even with a taller screen). So, this past winter, I started looking around for something different, and was fortunate enough to find a red '03 with only 19K on the clock.

I will have to make a couple mods. to my bike. I've ordered a Laminar Lip, and really hope it gets rid of the annoying helmet-level windblast (Rifle didn't even answer my e-mail regarding a taller screen). Next will likely be a footpeg lower kit from Murph's (I've got size 12s and have difficulty getting my foot under the shifter for up-shifts).  Finally, my gal loves the new ride, so I need a good backrest. I'd like to get my hands on one those Ronny (?) Lyons backrests I saw somewhere on the COG site. I spent some time sleuthing on the Internet, but could not find a site for either Lyons or his fabrication business.

Have found a great deal of helpful information on the COG site. You are all to be commended for your efforts.

Look forward to meeting some of you in the near future. Cheers!

Welcome on board! Loved the red too! But, alas, I fell for an 06 in the blue! I too had to make a change to the shield but went with a Cee Bailey 26.5 tinted/vented and have really enjoyed hearing the motor wail on! The factory shield beat me to death and I couldn't even hear the bike. I plan on making a short screen without the little flip that I think tumbles the wind into my helmet. Summers in Texas are pretty hot and as much as I am loving the CeeB I know I will end up needing airflow over quiet as summer comes on!

I always hoped to find a drivers backrest but have had as much luck with that as you have in your search. I will likely go to a rear seat bag that will allow some support and you may get a look at the "trunks" that you can get for the back that has a rest built in for her. There is an inexpensive one through the JC Whitney catalog that may be able to have a rest added on somehow.

Anyhow! Welcome to the forum and I hope it can give you some great direction. Enjoy that ride and be safe out there!
doug and conrad!

Welcome Simon.  Take a peek at the calendar of events via the member portal at www.cog-online.org as there is a monthly dinner gathering in the Greater Toronto Area.

Welcome aboard! I've said many times how my old 03 red was one of the best colors going. enjoy her!

:welcome:

:welcome:

Wow you did 1000k in about a month.  I have only done that my entire life.... wait I bet you don't mean 1000 K miles which to me is 1,000,000 miles.  I bet you mean Kilometers.  Have to watch those Canucks .  :)

Thanks to everyone for their words of welcome.

First off, to Bob, yes, I did mean 1,000 kilometres. In future, I'll have to watch my commas:)

Doug and Conrad: When I've had time to evaluate my Laminar Lip doo-hickey, I'll post the results on the Tech Forum. Good luck with your windshield experiments. As for using a trunk as a backrest, I did look into the offerings by GIVI, but, at the end of it all, I decided I don't want a trunk. I'm going to continue searching for one of the Lyons backrests.

Steve Smith: Yes, I found out about the GTA dinner meeting next Thursday the 14th. If it doesn't snow again, I'll be there! Cheers for the heads up.

Dano: Looking at your maps, man, you've covered some ground. Australia must have been a real adventure. Did you see any of those Z1000s from the first Mad Max movie?

Thanks, all, you guys rock!

P.S. I've got my travel maps ready to roll. How do I insert them without getting into the HTML thing? I just tried the "Insert Image" button and it took me to HTML Hell:) Cheers.