• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Another Rifle Base question

Tom NWGA

I am using nylon fasteners to attach the windshield to the base.  I've lost two in the past month of ownership.  Is there something like Loctite that I can use to keep the fasteners tight?

Tom, I'm using nylon hardware on my Rifle with no problems. Nylon fasteners are usually anti-vibration on their own. I have never used any locking compound and don't know whether I would affect the nylon. I always just tighten them to German torque (gootandtite!) and haven't had any problems. Maybe someone else will pipe up.

Eddie

IIRC, the Rifle supplied nylon fasteners were a bot self-locking.  From what I remember the installation instructions were pretty specific not to fully tighten the fasteners, as it prevents the star cracks from forming around the screen. This is how I did mine and have never lost fasteners and my screen never cracked at the screws.

I don't think you should use Locktite red...I don't think that's what you meant?

I think you meant red silicone? It comes in black too, you know...considering you have (or had) an orange hibiscus flower on there....

coffee_brake said:
I don't think you should use Locktite red...I don't think that's what you meant?

I think you meant red silicone? It comes in black too, you know...considering you have (or had) an orange hibiscus flower on there....

But then I'd have to BUY the black silicone, and have yet another tube of something lurking in my goo, er, toolbag.  BTW, the orange whatever is still there...it seems to nicely complement the "Candy Amarinth Red" of my bike (or maybe I'm a just a diehard UT Vol...)

There's is a clear silicone sealant as well. It's useful stuff to have around and not terribly expensive. Is "Candy Amarinth Red" Kawasaki speak for Barney Purple?

Ranger Jim said:
There's is a clear silicone sealant as well. It's useful stuff to have around and not terribly expensive. Is "Candy Amarinth Red" Kawasaki speak for Barney Purple?

You speak the Kawasaki language well, Master.

Volcantour said:
I am using nylon fasteners to attach the windshield to the base.  I've lost two in the past month of ownership.  Is there something like Loctite that I can use to keep the fasteners tight?

I use a locking nylon nut and do not tighten the screws fully to allow for expansion and flexing, no cracks in 6 years and no lost screws. Most hardware stores have them. Loctite or RTV could be difficult top remove later.

;)
Replaced a damaged windscreen about two years ago. Got replacement screen and nylon screws from RIFLE, installed and no problems since, although I do periodically check  them when "puttering around" the bike.

Eddie M said:
Tom, I'm using nylon hardware on my Rifle with no problems. --- I always just tighten them to German torque (gootandtite!) and haven't had any problems.
My PO used Scottish torque (ShiteItsTite) specs and caused starring around some Rifle shield holes.  I fixed the problem by falling over in March and breaking the windshield off.  :)  Now I run a Cee Bailey 26.5" and have cut down the Rifle in half for really hot Wisconsin riding(never gunna happen!)

Matt

My new-to-me Connie came with a Rifle with star cracks. I replaced those rusty and non-vinyl bolts with Murph's stainless black and they seem to work fine (namely in that there are not any new star cracks).